PDA

View Full Version : Refurb Macbook Pro Core Dou's on sale

pantone
10-27-2006, 09:21 PM
Anyone who's been thinking about upgrading to a MacBook Pro might want to check out Apples Refurb offerings (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/6304000/wo/QC73TlCQjqxs2nO2TIVo8iCfdxa/1.0.0.21.1.0.8.7.1.0.1.1). They've got the 2Ghz model for $1500.

That's about $1000 off! (I know they just released the Core Dou 2 books, but this still looks like a great deal to me.)

harlan
10-29-2006, 08:57 PM
Yeah Pantone, thanks for the link. I tend to stay on top of the latest Apple offering, and having just upgraded my 2.16 CoreDuo MacBook Pro to the new Core2Duo; I'd like to add to this thread that the "refurb" offerings are fantastic systems.

There is definitely a performance difference between the CoreDuo & the Core2Duo, but I'm not sure I'd say it's a big enough performance difference for the CoreDuo users to justify upgrading. The CoreDuo MBPro's are serious machines and now that you can pick them up with those incredible prices, I'd be hard pressed to recommend the Core2Duo system over the refurbs; those deals are too good to pass on for a majority of users (especially those considering a MacBook due to the cost of the MBPro).

Oh, and keep in mind that just because Apple lists them as "refurbs" doesn't mean that they've all been used or actually "refurbed" - Apple tends to list their previous gen systems as refurbs - even though they may never have been opened or taken out of the box.

Fantastic deal all around, and if you don't want to spend the extra money on the C2D MBPro or are considering a MB, then I'd highly recommend you look no further than one of these refurb CoreDuo MBPros.

DiscreetFX
10-30-2006, 05:00 AM
:agree:

We have had great experience with a refurb iBook G4 harlan, your right Apple refurbs are a great buy. How do you like the Core2Duo Mac Book Pro vs Core Duo Mac Books?

al3d
10-30-2006, 07:46 AM
link seems borken...how did you find it?

pantone
10-30-2006, 08:43 AM
link seems borken...how did you find it?

Just go to the Apple Store and scroll down to the bottom. Click on the little red "deals" tag and you'll get into their re-furbs section.

I've had nothing but success buying refurbed Apple products. This will be the 6th. computer I've purchased this way. I'm upgrading from a G4 1Ghz. powerbook that I got under similar circumstances ages ago. Looks like the core dou MBP will actually beat the pants off my DP G5 machine when running UB programs.

harlan
10-30-2006, 09:16 PM
:agree:

We have had great experience with a refurb iBook G4 harlan, your right Apple refurbs are a great buy. How do you like the Core2Duo Mac Book Pro vs Core Duo Mac Books?

Well... I've used Mac's for yeeeeeeeears, and I've always loved using them. That being said, a computer to me, is a tool; and while I happily use both WinPC's & Mac's, I prefer the UI, Simplicity, & Workflow of the Mac (that's just a personal opinion of course, Apple just works the way I think).

Some of my jobs are best accomplished on the PC and some on the Mac; so when Apple went Intel and released BootCamp, I was absolutely thrilled. Now I can run all of my apps and use both OSes in the same box. I picked up an iMac when they went Intel to test out OSX on Intel & eventually WinXP through BootCamp. After a good month's worth of testing, I was blown away with the performance of the new hardware as well as how nicely WinXP ran on the iMac; so I began the process of switching most of my boxes over.

I've now replaced all of my PowerPC & WinPC systems (except one PC and one PowerMac G5, both for legacy operations) with new Intel based Macs. They're amazing machines and are quite competitive in terms of price, but they gain some serious leverage with the Dual OS capability.

Anyway... to get back on topic... Even though I have a number of speedy Mac workstations around here, I've found that I tend to use my MacBook Pro CoreDuo more than any of the other systems. It's just a great machine. So when the Core2Duo MacBook Pro's were announced, I jumped on the opportunity to upgrade, having been so pleased with CD MBP. There is definitely a performance gain with the C2D MBP over the CD MBP. In fact, even at the same clock speed, the C2D MBP is noticeably faster at most tasks. In general, I don't know that I'd say the performance gain would be that important to everyone, but as most of the folks here are bleeding edge users, they may opt for the better performance offered with the C2D MBP.

If money is an issue, and you don't want to blow a wad on a C2D MBP; run (don't walk... RUN) to your nearest Apple Store and pick up a "refurb" CD MBP. They are absolutely killer machines, and you simply can't beat them for the price.

Honestly, I'd have a hard time comparing the two systems as neither one of them left me saying "I wish this thing were faster" - they both scream, and yes the C2D screams faster, but it may not be "that" much faster for a lot of people. My honest to god only real complaint with either system is the "heat" generated while running under WinXP. For some reason, WinXP doesn't control the fans and regulate the temperature quite as efficiently as OSX does, so it tends to get pretty ****ed warm in WinXP.

If you do a lot of work in WinXP, and feel that the heat may be an issue, grab one of those little notebook coolers, or even just a decent flat hard surface to work on and you'll be fine. Someone is supposedly working on a tool to increase the fan speed so it'll run cooler, but for the time being they get a little toasty in WinXP.

I hope that helps a little.