PDA

View Full Version : Mig21 F series

ludenwulf
10-27-2006, 04:06 PM
After recovering my work I've finally been able to make a final composited render. It's not as complete as i'd like it to be, but I need to move on to another project. I'm already getting burnout on this one. Anyway, let me know what you think. I'm hoping to use this as part of demo reel for modeling.

Ill be posting one more render without a backround image so I can have free reign with the camera postion.

Carm3D
10-28-2006, 09:27 AM
Modeling is good. But the grass makes the plane look small. The cast shadow isn't natural-looking.

ludenwulf
10-28-2006, 10:42 AM
Hmm. I suppose I could bring then camera in closer, but I do want to make sure the complete plane is in view. I do know the scale of the plane is right. I went right by the blue prints. As far as the shadow I agree. It doesn't have much density to it or change in value. It's pretty flat in that respect. I've basicly been rendering it seperate of the plane as a tga.32 with shadow density set. Then adjusting it's color in PhotoShop.

Could you suggest options to fix these two problems? And thanks.

Carm3D
10-28-2006, 02:31 PM
No I mean the size of the grass compared to the plane.. Makes the plane look like it is only 2 or 3 feet tall.

Carm3D
10-28-2006, 02:38 PM
As for the shadows, it looks unnatural because it's not taking into account bounced light from the atmosphere. See how the shadows are darker near the ground of the grass at the left? It's blocking out more light from the sky.

Try rendering a seperate ambient occlusion shadow pass and perhaps using that to set the opacity of the sun's shadow (which should be darker than what you have there).

ludenwulf
10-28-2006, 06:27 PM
Ahh, I got it. I resized the jet so it's at the proper scale. I see what you what you mean about the shadow. The shadow should be darker where the jet is blocking out the light from the from the sky, but because of the position of the sun the shadow should contain more of the sky's color once it's not blocked by the jet?
I think then my key light for the sun should be lower then it is then? Since now it looks almost like it's more on top? Atleast that's the impression I get from the shadows i'm seeing in the backround image.

Dave Jerrard
10-29-2006, 02:49 PM
Also, the shadows of the grass are stretching toward the right, meaning hte sun is lower on the left. You plane is lit from nearly directly above. It should be lit from the same angle as the environment, so try to match that. Use the wheels as a reference since they're about the same height as the grass around them. Get their shadows to be about the same length and direction as the grass.

He Who Has Had To Do Stuff Like This With Moving Backgrounds.

chikega
11-01-2006, 07:35 PM
I like the un-maintained runway which the Russian-made fighters could easily handle compared to the very sensitive American fighters which had to have pristine runways.

I agree with all the above comments. But I'd also like to add that the aluminum seems a bit dull. I like the variation in the panels, but a glint of sunlight here and there would really help cinch it.

Also, think about giving a sense of weight to the tires. They should be slightly flattened and plumped out.

Nice job! :)

ludenwulf
11-03-2006, 11:02 AM
Thanks for all the advice guys. Things took a little longer than expected to post with some correction. Mostly because i'm getting used to version 9 and I ugraded from 7.5.

I've worked on the lighting and I think I have the shadow color looking closer to the plate. I think the scale might still be off some. Also the planes shadow matches the angle of the sun better, but i'm not so sure about it still. Maybe if someone could go into detail about how they render and composite their shadows? Right now i'm setting the grounds plane to shadow density and setting the jet to be unseen by camera. I then save it as a tga 32 bit and adjust it in photoshop. I've also flattened the tires a little to give the impression of weight, thanks for the tip.

Anyway, if you could let me know what you think is improved and what still needs work i'd appreciate it.

ludenwulf
11-03-2006, 11:12 AM
Oh, chikega. I've tried bumping up the spec but it seems to make little to no difference. Atleast when cranking it up. Right now it's set to 90. Also i'm useing a specualar map in that channel. I wonder if that may have somthing to do with it. Or somthing to do with 9.0 new features and all.

Carm3D
11-03-2006, 12:03 PM
Shadows are much improved. Although it probably gets a bit too faint on the right side. See if you can make the shadow more diffused too (judging from the other shadows in the scene). Scale still looks off.

Good work!

Tzan
11-03-2006, 02:07 PM
The concrete panel just to our left of the left wheel looks like it might be 4 to 5 feet wide. Based on the look of the grass. So you can use that as a scale to apply to the plane.

So whats the wing distance from tip to the main body. Then compare that to the ground which happens to have a nice grid already on it :)

anim8r
11-03-2006, 10:49 PM
Nice Model and surfacing =]

The scale is still a bit off... If the pilot approached the jet from the left, he'd have to wade through 6-foot tall blades of grass :)

Stooch
11-04-2006, 12:39 AM
the lighting is what kills it. inside the engine is too light, the contrast is not there. (shadows under the plane, lighting under the plen)

ludenwulf
11-04-2006, 07:18 AM
Thanks Carm3D, I think matching the color of the sky to the shadows on the plane itself really helped. As far as the shadow being cast by the plane, once I have it more diffused and not as light on the other side, (also fixing the scale of the plane) is there anything else about the overall lighting that looks like it could use some work? From what I can tell, the lighting in the photo is pretty difffused. So there's not a very bright or vivid source of light. What do you think?

Thank Tzan and anim8r. Ill use your suggestions to fix the scale.

Carm3D
11-04-2006, 08:16 AM
Thanks Carm3D, I think matching the color of the sky to the shadows on the plane itself really helped. As far as the shadow being cast by the plane, once I have it more diffused and not as light on the other side, (also fixing the scale of the plane) is there anything else about the overall lighting that looks like it could use some work?

I think you are mis-interpreting my use of the word diffused. I mean the light is not focused. It's probably behind some clouds as the shadows it casts from the real plans is fuzzier and softer than the shadows you are casting from the plane. Also the cast shadow fades out too fast (if it should fade out at all) with distance from the source (right side of your shadow is too transparent). Just look at the shadows in the photo and try to mimic the same look.

Stooch has a point, the shadowing on the plane is not all it could be. Try rendering a seperate ambient occlusion pass for the plane so that areas such as inside the engine will get darker.

ludenwulf
11-14-2006, 10:45 AM
Thanks for the advice. I think I have the scale and lighting right now, or atleast as close as i'm going to get. There are some flaws still, but overall i think it looks ok. It could just look a little more polished. But i'm burntout on this one.. I think it's time to start a new project.

Well, here it is. :)

ludenwulf
12-07-2006, 12:06 PM
Well, I fixed up the lighting and used an occlusion pass to help out with the shadow. That and tweaked up some of the main texture maps. I had some problems with the reflections but I think i can live with this one.

Thanks again for all the tips guys :)