PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know of a PC viewer/converter for old Amiga anims?

JamesCurtis
10-27-2006, 02:37 PM
Like the title says, I have a whole lotta old Amiga animations that were done a loooong time ago [most with Deluxe Paint], and I was hoping to find a player or loader/converter to be able to play them on my PC. i want to be able to make a retrospective of my work over the last 20+ years, and it'd be great to include some of them.

Anyone know of any such program?

Help would be much appreciated!

Thanks.

dmac989
10-27-2006, 04:24 PM
Paint Shop Pro does ilbm images but I don't know what will do anims.

dmac989
10-27-2006, 04:29 PM
Try xanim but I'm not sure if it works under windows

Jim_C
10-27-2006, 05:16 PM
Do you have VT? Try Aura. It's made by the D Paint Guys.
So actually Mirage may also. (same guys)

T-Light
10-27-2006, 06:04 PM
I thought the Mirage people bought out Aura Jim, is it still the same programmers?

ps Didn't know that Aura was made by the DPaint guys, WOW, I wondered what happened to them :thumbsup:

Jim_C
10-27-2006, 06:14 PM
Oops I have to back pedal a little....

I am thinking TVPaint from our Amiga Flyers.
Sorry about that.
So unless TVPaint and Deluxe Paint are the same guys nevermind.......

But answering your question, I don't know exact names and details but yes, Aura and Mirage had programmers in common.
Evolution went TVPaint->Aura->Mirage, but not sure who was lost or gained along the way.

I do know that Paul Ford has now carved himself a heck of a product and following with Mirage and I think he does go back to TVPaint days.

Jim

Paul Lara
10-27-2006, 06:19 PM
If your Amiga is still functional, why not take advantage of its composite video output, and just play it on the Amiga, and record it on a camera or tape deck?

T-Light
10-27-2006, 06:31 PM
Cheers :), interesting thread, I used to tape everything I did back in the amiga days so I could bore people rigid at parties. Been sorting the house out this year and came across all the old tapes. Had one of loading an object into Imagine 2.0. J...e....e....e....s......w...e...p...t, how much patience did we have? :D

Snosrap
10-27-2006, 07:38 PM
Oops I have to back pedal a little....

I am thinking TVPaint from our Amiga Flyers.
Sorry about that.
So unless TVPaint and Deluxe Paint are the same guys nevermind.......

But answering your question, I don't know exact names and details but yes, Aura and Mirage had programmers in common.
Evolution went TVPaint->Aura->Mirage, but not sure who was lost or gained along the way.

I do know that Paul Ford has now carved himself a heck of a product and following with Mirage and I think he does go back to TVPaint days.

Jim
EA's Deluxe Paint was authored by Dan Silva. Aura and Mirage are offshoots of TV Paint from France. Bauhaus Software is in a legal battle with the TV Paint developers and has formed their own development team to continue development of Mirage. http://www.tvpaint.com/mirage.php

Cheers
Snos

T-Light
10-27-2006, 07:42 PM
So Aura had nothing to do with Dan Silva's team?

T-Light
10-27-2006, 07:54 PM
Paul Lara -

If your Amiga is still functional, why not take advantage of its composite video output, and just play it on the Amiga, and record it on a camera or tape deck?
Sorry Paul I missed your post, was replying to Jim's, surfing and rendering at the same time ( not a healthy combination). The amiga's composite output was great for the time, and no doubt is somewhat better on modern equipment. All the stuff I taped was on PAL VHS and some of those tapes are aged by about 15 years of neglect.

BUT, the quality of the output (unless the original is say 320X240 etc) would be better converted digitaly. The original stuff was Interleaved File format? IFF rings a bell although there could have been another letter in there somewhere, Can't believe there isn't a conversion routine out there on the net. TV paint was available on the Amiga right? Wouldn't software that allows you to play Amiga games/software on modern PC's allow you to run the old software and convert original files into something compatable or am I talking through a drink enduced orifice?

T-Light
10-27-2006, 07:57 PM
Me- (two minute rules!!!)

IFF rings a bell although there could have been another letter in there somewhere
Interleaved Bit Map (ILBM) = confusion at this time of the morning.

Snosrap
10-27-2006, 08:14 PM
So Aura had nothing to do with Dan Silva's team?
Nope. It's a version of TV Paint and distributed in the US by NewTek as Aura. AFAIK it's only available as part as the Video Toaster now. Bauhaus is-or was- the US distributor of the stand-alone version, called Mirage. BTW, Mirage is great, not sure how I'd get along without.

Cheers
Snos

THREEL
10-27-2006, 09:37 PM
Nope. It's a version of TV Paint and distributed in the US by NewTek as Aura. AFAIK it's only available as part as the Video Toaster now. Bauhaus is-or was- the US distributor of the stand-alone version, called Mirage. BTW, Mirage is great, not sure how I'd get along without.

Cheers
Snos

Boy, oh boy Snos! You're just a regular wiki software encyclopedia here. *Hehe* Actually, it's a good thing Snos is giving advice here. And don't worry about me ribbing him, cause he's a friend of mine.

I just had to put my 2 cents worth in here, because it reminds me of my old Amiga 500 days. I used a program called Sculpt Animate 4-D jr. Was this the daddy to LightWAVE? The thing I remember is it took forever to render something, being that I had no hard-drive and only 1 meg of RAM. I did a 10 second animation that took 8 hours to render. Mostly, because a friend of mine and I had to constantly swap disks. And the models were only primitives put together to represent the Starship Enterprise and a Saturn-like planet. The humorous part of it all was I had the scene set up where the ship goes at an angle and circles the planet. From there it heads back towards the camera and is supposed to make a graceful, sweeping turn away from the camera and then zip away into hyperspace. A typical Star Trek scene, right? I must have missed a keyframe, however, as instead of a graceful turn, I got more of a sliiiide around, sort of like a car doing a 180 on slick ice. I just wish I could have added sound FX back then, cause I would have added the sound of screeching tires as th Enerprise slid around the corner of the galaxy. :D

Still got the Amiga, cobwebs and all. Don't know where the anim is, thou. I'm sure it's stashed somewhere.

tHREEL (AL)

T-Light
10-27-2006, 10:11 PM
I still have a 100+ floppies, an amiga 500 and an amiga 1200. Just need the time to fire them back up and hope they don't smoke :D, maybe I'll get the time to try them some time 2007. Actualy, still have two zx spectrums in my Dads attic, loads of tapes and a microdrive. There's got to be some early coding examples there I'd like to resurrect at some point.

KSTAR
10-28-2006, 09:48 AM
I believe there was actually a Deluxe Paint released for the PC specificially, though it was never as big a hit as the amiga version. If you can find an old version of that floating around in Cyber space, that seems like that might be the ticket. Since it should support anims, and its a PC version there is probably some kind of conversion.

You might want to do some searches for anim to flick conversion. I think thats the name of the PC's old attempt at trying to do anims like the Amiga.

Also if you have lots of old Amiga software but no Amiga, or you want to run your old Amiga software on your new shiny powerful PC's take a look at Cloantos Amiga forever emulator http://www.amigaforever.com/

Just think you could fire up Adpro, and ImageFx again :hey:

SplineGod
10-28-2006, 07:36 PM
You might have a look at these:
http://www.cosmigo.com/promotion/index.php?Home+%28Pro+Motion%29
http://www.ultimatepaint.com/

Jarno
10-28-2006, 09:02 PM
I used a program called Sculpt Animate 4-D jr. Was this the daddy to LightWAVE?

Darn you! Now you made me go all trippy looking through my collection of Amiga World and Amiga User International magazines.

Sculpt Animate 4D came from expanding Sculpt 3D with Animate 3D. They were made by Byte by Byte. Sculpt 3D was apparently first released in July 1986, Animate 3D in January '87. Videoscape 3D was done by Aegis in March 1987, with Modeler 3D in 1988.

Sculpt 4D went on for a while longer. Up to about 1995 or 96, though not on Amiga. Mostly Mac I believe.

---JvdL---

KSTAR
10-28-2006, 11:41 PM
I have my copy of Sculpt 4D sitting on my shelf in the hall of fame section. I still have the original box original manual, and all the disk. From time to time I like pop it open and remember the old days. In storage I still have the original Turbo Silver, Imagine, Real 3D, and 3D pro boxes disks and instructions.

If 3D pro could have been developed further it could have been an absolute killer application, some of the features were so far ahead of the curve to ANY 3D application at its time. The render options panel was absolutely chocked full of features.

Ah the glory years :)

SplineGod
10-28-2006, 11:43 PM
Eric Graham used to come out to the Amiga users group in Albququerque and demonstrate the code that eventually became Sculpt. :)

THREEL
10-29-2006, 12:22 AM
Darn you!

Have you ever seen the 3-D anim MADAGASCAR? This makes me think of the part of the movie where they mocked THE PLANET OF THE APES scene at the end of the movie. Alex the lion mimics Charlton Heston at the half buried Statue of Liberty and yells, "Darn you, darn you all to heck" as he pounds the beach sand below him in total disgust. What a classic parady.:D

Lewis
10-29-2006, 02:33 AM
I was transfering some of my *.anim files from Amiga days through program called "Mainactor" since he was transfered from Amiga to PC.

http://www.mainconcept.com/site/index.php?id=15

Right now it's version 5.x and i used version 1.x several years ago but now it's "pricey" just for converting old files :)?

Lewis
10-29-2006, 02:36 AM
Found another LINK (demo is also available) and here it says it supports IFF-AnimX :).

Supported formats include: AVI, BMP, DL, FLI, FLC, GIF, AnimGIF, IFF-AnimX, JPEG, MPEG-I/II, PCX, Quicktime, TGA and WAV.

http://www.bmtmicro.com/BMTCatalog/win/mactrw95.html

JamesCurtis
11-03-2006, 01:56 PM
Hey Lewis, and others.

I tried the link in your post, but the link to the Demo file came up not found.

I guess I'm gonna have to search deeper. I don't have any Amiga's any longer and don't have access to an emulator right now either. Help has been appreciated though. If anyone likes, they can continue searching though.

Once again thanks for trying to help.

robewil
11-03-2006, 02:12 PM
Videoscape 3D was done by Aegis in March 1987, with Modeler 3D in 1988That is Lightwave's Daddy.:) I still have the original Allen Hastings demo video he released in 1986 called "Infinite Loop" featuring the Amiga "Boing" ball and a Lotus automobile. It was jaw-dropping stuff 20 years ago.