PDA

View Full Version : Volume Lightning

Gluffs
06-12-2003, 06:31 AM
Is there a way to render objects with for exampel "medium AA" and only render Volume Lightning on the last pass, insteed of every pass?

Is would speed up my render with approx. 15hours.

Exper
06-12-2003, 10:07 AM
Not possbile...
but Effects / Volumetrics / Volumetric Antialsing -> OFF
will render only the first pass for every Volumetric.

Bye.

Mylenium
06-12-2003, 10:13 AM
Ever heard of compositing? I suggest getting yourself After FX, combustion* or another tool to do this. There is however (a somwhat convoluted) way in LW: Create another scene in LW that contains your volumetric effects and all your objects (copies of them actually, 'cos you will have to change the surfaces). In this scene set the alpha of the surfaces to fixed value "0" (on the advanced tab). Optionally you may want to make them totally flat black for cleaner compositing. Now comes the tricky part: play with your volumetric's opacity or get a plugin called "Post Alpha" on http://www.flay.com. You need to do this to have some alpha information for you volumes. Now you can render everything. Once done, load both image sequences back into LW and use them as FG and BG on the compositing panel. Render out your sequence. Done.

Mylenium

Gluffs
06-12-2003, 05:51 PM
Im using AEpb daily.. :)

Thanks for the tip about Post Alpha, but im using Macintosh, Post Alpha only support PC.

I will get deeper into Compositing in LW when i got some time, with some tweaking i got 50% shorter rendertime and even more beautiful renderings.
Hehe - did i say im a newbie to LW?! ;)

Thanks anyhow!

Exper
06-13-2003, 08:46 AM
Mylenium...
I hate compositing... ;)
I thinks that most things we trick using compositiong shuold be avaible as a plain feature into LW.... in my own personal opinion!

Bye.

Mylenium
06-13-2003, 09:33 AM
Hi Exper,

Yes, compositing is sometimes awkward but this is mainly related to issues such as handling massive amounts of image sequences, not screwing up field order etc.. On the other hand it saved my day a few times and normally I do not do all-in-one-renders anymore. It's just nice to have the extra control in compositing. Also some things look just better and are much easier to do. Good examples are Knoll Light Factory for lens flares (sorry, but LW's own by no means can hold up to them) and text effects. I agree however on your request for more compositing features. I mean a lot of filters are already available in image editor, surface editor and image processing but they lack proper integration into the timeline. What would be required is direct keyframing of parameters (not envelopes) on the timeline and easier access to panels along with a fast and interactive previewing system.

Mylenium

Exper
06-13-2003, 11:27 AM
I know... you're right!

Maybe in LW 20c ? ;)

Bye.