PDA

View Full Version : Marketing?

SCS5
10-26-2006, 06:41 AM
Hi everyone,

We're very proud to announce our latest CG Challenge XX - EON! It is completely free to participate in and we encourage all CGSociety forum members to go for it!

In this CG Challenge we have invited one of the world’s best writers to join the digital art community in the first CGChallenge to focus on one of the most successful science fiction novels of all time. We have also added a video category that is open to team entries.

Your challenge is to create material for the promotion of a (potential) blockbuster film based on EON, a novel by highly acclaimed writer Greg Bear. Expanded to three categories: Illustration, 3D Render and Film Trailer, the challenge is to put great words into great pictures using 2D, 3D or video format. As well as giving CGSociety permission to theme the challenge around his best selling novel EON, Greg Bear has agreed to join the judging team.

Full details are on the challenge page!

Hardware Sponsors
• Boxx Technologies
• NVIDIA

Software Sponsors
• Softimage
• Maxon
• Realviz
• Luxology
• Autodesk
• Corel
• e-on Software
• Pixologic
• E-Frontier

Media & Educational Sponsors
• The Gnomon Workshop
• Ballistic Publishing
• Stash Media

Where's NEWTEK???

Kurtis
10-26-2006, 08:24 AM
NewTek would be happy to sponsor CG Society contests. However, we do not qualify as a sponsor under their policies.

CMT
10-26-2006, 08:30 AM
However, we do not qualify as a sponsor under their policies.

Their policies must be ridiculous.... How could NT not qualify for something like that?

Kuzey
10-26-2006, 08:45 AM
I would like to know what are the policies in question.

Also, it must be me but that post sounded like bully tactics to get some free cash 8/

Kuzey

krimpr
10-26-2006, 10:14 AM
E-Frontier (Poser) qualifies but Newtek doesn't??? Have they gone neverkos...er bananas?

sadkkf
10-26-2006, 11:01 AM
Luxology qualifies and NT doesn't???:confused:

Scazzino
10-26-2006, 11:27 AM
"Qualifications" are probably limited to "advertisers"... ;)

SCS5
10-26-2006, 11:38 AM
Advertising???:question: ........

Now there's a concept??!!!!!...................Hmmmmmmmmmm???

Maybe if Newtek............................................ .....Naaaaaaaaaa!

TomT
10-26-2006, 11:40 AM
"Qualifications" are probably limited to "advertisers"... ;)

Yep, putting up money in form of advertising is a common use of sponsorship. I'd be half interested in why NewTek doesn't qualify . . . (e.g. can't they buy an ad like anyone else?)

Hence on American TV, the phrase, "And now a word from our sponsors . . ." has been so over used as to be cliche.

-T

TomT
10-26-2006, 12:13 PM
This really shows how pathetic some parts of "the industry" are. It becomes all the more clearer why LightWave is bashed or simply not mentioned in many cases. You have to pay to get mentioned, even in matters that are not associated with ads or marketing. If you don't pay the Autodesk bought "mob", they have ways to deal with you.

Utterly pathetic.

That's a conspiracy theory and a half. Maxon in the Autodesk Mob? E-frontier? Softimage?

Sponsors always pay for the privilege of sponsorship, either in the forms of cash, grant, time, product, etc. Also, contest managers do usually set conditions and rules for sponsorship--this is also not new.

Anyhow, I dashed off a note to the CG Society to find out what the rules of sponsorship are for their contests.

Cheers!
-T

SCS5
10-26-2006, 12:21 PM
After reading SCS5's very adult and enlightening post, I'd have to agree with that now.

Well, it wasn't meant to be "adult" or "enlightning"... just light hearted.

I just can't remember the last time I've seen a Lightwave add in any trade mag?

TomT
10-26-2006, 12:30 PM
:agree:

Me neither.

TomT
10-26-2006, 01:00 PM
And sponsors paying for the privilege of sponsorship? For the few things I've been involved in the marketing of, that were sponsored, the sponsors got their name and product in by supplying the product free of charge, not paying to be able to provide their product free of charge.

Having worked in advertising and marketing in one form or another for 20+ years, I've been involved in every kind of sponsorship from small contests where being a judge is enough to get you a "sponsorship" to professional sports events where USD $3M needs to be paid just get your name plastered in the title of the event. Sponsorship *is* a form of advertising. There's no entitlement to providing no-charge product and becoming a "sponsor."

I think it's a little silly to be so outraged that someone running a contest may decide how the costs of the contest may apportioned.

I'm more interested in the idea that somehow the rules of sponsorship may be different or unfair to NewTek, which is why I've written CG Society to see for myself if there is a different set of rules for Pixologic than Maxon or Newtek (which I doubt.)

BTW: Isn't Leigh Van Der Byl one of the big names over at CGSociety (Forum lead or something) and doesn't she have at least one writing credit to her name on Lightwave? I also heard she uses XSI as well which isn't an Autodesk product . . .

:confused:

Snosrap
10-26-2006, 01:49 PM

LW 9 full page ads were all over the place in the last 4 or 5 issues of Post. You can't get any more "trade" than Post.

Cheers
Snos

SCS5
10-26-2006, 02:49 PM
I only get Post on line now, so, GREAT!.. :thumbsup:

I didn't think Newtek was advertising anymore??:cursin:

Me stands corrected.:twak:

Jockomo
10-26-2006, 03:13 PM
Come on, give these guys a break. What do you expect when you stick the tech support guys in marketing?

Just as soon as that phone rings with someone who wants to buy lightwave, these guys will be all over it. Need a demo, no problem, give them a call they will take care of you.

Marketing shmarketing... the buyers will call if they need something. wont they??

adhesiveX
10-26-2006, 03:46 PM
LW 9 full page ads were all over the place in the last 4 or 5 issues of Post. You can't get any more "trade" than Post.

Cheers
Snos

LW 9 full page ads are also present in CGW(Computer Graphics World)
trade mag stiil in circulation.

Sarford
10-26-2006, 07:20 PM
Don't forget that a full page add can be pretty expensive, depending on the number of readers of the magazine.
40,000 dollar for a single full page add, placed only once in a single publication is not uncommon.

sadkkf
10-27-2006, 08:27 AM
placed only once in a single publication is not uncommon

And if you want that ad to run nationally instead of in a specific market you can probably up that number some.