PDA

View Full Version : Race Track Road Flow

=:SEM:=
10-24-2006, 11:54 AM
Hello, dear newtek team and LW users.:help:

im trying to find technics how to make a race track, specially the road. the polygon flow must be very smooth through the different height becoz of collision detection and stuff, in corners there is always a problem with it. i was trying to use spline and made rail extrude, but the result was not satisfying, although u can not really see the polygons flow, but in collision engine u can feel the bugs.
the height map method with pictures is not precise enough.

Could some LW profi make a tutorial video maybe, it wud be something very usefull, becoz its an area where no 3D software package give any help about it.

thank u

gjjackson
10-24-2006, 07:35 PM
I happened to see this just the other day. It should cover what you're needing. You can just twist the poly's where you need banks. etc.

http://www.lightwiki.com/wiki/mediawiki-1.4.4/index.php?title=StreetWise_-_An_intermediate_tut_for_the_road

Lamont
10-25-2006, 11:24 PM
You should make pre-fab parts for the road. Every part should be modular. Plan the course out on graph paper, from there try to conform it to a more modular system.

10-30-2006, 01:19 AM
Thx for replies.

i think it sounds easier than its really is. im not new at 3D and i already modelled
1 track, but i had to use alot of phantasy on using tools to achive decent results, but still, as i said the road looks good and u dont really notice the bugs on the road flow until u let a collision engine run on it. i was thinking i cud make it easily, but after i started i had to face some problems that i still dont really know how to manage it...i wonder how ppl make tracks for games that smooth.8/

Fozz
10-30-2006, 05:34 AM
i wonder how ppl make tracks for games that smooth.8/

Custom made 3d editor in my case, with splendid tools for working with race tracks. For example a smooth tool to make the track super smooth without messing things up.

10-30-2006, 10:13 PM
OH!:agree:
thats a satisfying but very dissapointing answer..hehe, r there any free tools available somewhere? Any where i cud export the mesh with uv to any standart 3d format? i heard something about trackmania, but not sure exactly whats its about, i dont have it.