PDA

View Full Version : SpeedEDIT: Whutz Up?!

THREEL
10-24-2006, 08:01 AM
I got an e-mail from NewTek about SpeedEDIT. Did anyone else? Tried to find a demo, and pricing. Came up empty on both. Is it actually shipping? If so, is anyone actually using it? If you are, can you share your review of this video editing package? The e-mail gave a list of shows where SpeedEDIT will be shown. I believe they were all going to be in the US.

tHANX!

tHREEL

JamesCurtis
10-24-2006, 08:50 AM
The one I got was of the Launch Party. I doubt if Speed Edit would be shipping before it. I'm sure info will be available after that. Be patient, we'll know soon enough.

THREEL
10-24-2006, 09:19 AM
The one I got was of the Launch Party. I doubt if Speed Edit would be shipping before it. I'm sure info will be available after that. Be patient, we'll know soon enough.

Hey there James!

I figured that. Just wasn't sure.

I'm a fellow Buckeye, too. Northwest corner. What part of Ohio are you from? If you told me all ready, please, forgive me for forgetting. Sometimes I suffer from short-term memory lose.

Talk to ya!

tHREEL, but you can call me AL.

JamesCurtis
10-25-2006, 03:53 PM
AL,

Hey I'm from Fairport Harbor, in the Northeastern part of Lake County right near the lake, been here all my life.

I'm really interested in Speed Edit as I've [had] the original Amiga Video Toaster (two in fact), and loved some of its aspects. Never had the money to invest in PC VT's, as I'm mainly an animator, and most of my final work is usually assembled by others.

I just landed a project to work on a 30 sec. spot doing a national commercial for a product from a company in Syracuse NY through a local contact here. won't pay nearly as much money as I'd like, but the company plans on doing more in the long term. So, it may lead to other stuff as well. I'm a freelancer, in case you hadn't guessed.

I wish they were having a Speed Edit demo here, but I guess not. Though a member of my local computer club is trying to work out something with NT to get demo copies or some info for the club.

Nice to know there is someone else in Ohio land. I'm not alone after all!! Feel free to shoot me a PM if you'd like, maybe even get together someday. We're probably not that far from each other.

THREEL
10-25-2006, 11:11 PM
AL,

Hey I'm from Fairport Harbor, in the Northeastern part of Lake County right near the lake, been here all my life.

I'm really interested in Speed Edit as I've [had] the original Amiga Video Toaster (two in fact), and loved some of its aspects. Never had the money to invest in PC VT's, as I'm mainly an animator, and most of my final work is usually assembled by others.

I just landed a project to work on a 30 sec. spot doing a national commercial for a product from a company in Syracuse NY through a local contact here. won't pay nearly as much money as I'd like, but the company plans on doing more in the long term. So, it may lead to other stuff as well. I'm a freelancer, in case you hadn't guessed.

I wish they were having a Speed Edit demo here, but I guess not. Though a member of my local computer club is trying to work out something with NT to get demo copies or some info for the club.

Nice to know there is someone else in Ohio land. I'm not alone after all!! Feel free to shoot me a PM if you'd like, maybe even get together someday. We're probably not that far from each other.

I'll PM you later. Thought I'd answer this one here, thou. Boy, I hear where you're coming from, being a freelancer. I don't live close to big cities. I'm an hour from both Ft. Wayne, IN and Toledo, right in the middle. So, I might eventually have to take trips there to find more freelance work. There's not as much around here as one would like. I do both 3-D and video production, so SpeedEDIT is of interest to me, if it works and the price is right. I use Pinnacle StudioPLUS right now. Mostly, because I can't afford anything like Avid at this time, starving artist you know. For the low cost, Studio is quite powerful, but I've had a BIGproblem with it crashing. I just started using the latest update, so I don't know if the crashing problem is any better. I do know getting all of your ducks in a row on your hard-drive helps a little.

If you find anything out about a demo for SE, please pass the info this way.

FYI--Bryan's claims to fame are Spangler's Candy Co., home of Dum-Dum lollipops and Ohio Art, home of the Etch-A-Sketch. My kids go to camp every summer at a place in between Huron and Vermillion. I'm not to far from the Turnpike, so getting together might be plausible, one of these day's.

Talk to you later.

AL

PS--I still own an Amiga 500, but it just collects dust these days. 8/

THREEL
10-25-2006, 11:13 PM
BTW--Congrats on landing that ad work. I'm sure it will lead to bigger and better things.

Safe Harbor
10-26-2006, 09:03 AM
We will have copies of SE at the Chicago launch event we're hosting Nov 14, but I'm not sure if it'll be available before that or not.

THREEL
10-26-2006, 11:45 AM
We will have copies of SE at the Chicago launch event we're hosting Nov 14, but I'm not sure if it'll be available before that or not.

Thanx Tiffani!

I know you're in this forum, but do you use :lwicon:? I haven't seen very many ladies here. About the only one I've really seen is CelShader, and I haven't seen any posts from her in a while. She may have posted recently, it's just I haven't seen any.

I don't know if I'll be able to get to the Chicago show. The price of gas is going up again. Know what I mean?! :D

T-Light
10-26-2006, 11:54 AM
Threel -

I haven't seen very many ladies here. About the only one I've really seen is CelShader, and I haven't seen any posts from her in a while
Don't forget Casey (Lottmedia :cat: ) :). But you're right, we don't see enough females on these boards. Hopefully time will change this.

Safe Harbor
10-26-2006, 12:12 PM
I used LW back in the era of versions 5 and 6 when I worked for Dynamic Realities. I haven't touched it in YEARS and with the changes that have occurred, I doubt I could animate a sphere... :)

I think CelShader is posting over in the Guardian thread...

T-Light
10-26-2006, 12:14 PM
Safe Harbor -

I doubt I could animate a sphere...
Animating a sphere's as easy as it's always been, although two spheres... :D

JamesCurtis
10-26-2006, 08:23 PM
Tlight -

"Animating a sphere's as easy as it's always been, although two spheres..."

Actually, if you animate two spheres rotating in place they won't look animated! That is - unless they are textured!!! Ha Ha!!

Exception
10-27-2006, 10:48 AM
Threel -
Don't forget Casey (Lottmedia :cat: ) :). But you're right, we don't see enough females on these boards. Hopefully time will change this.

Or Cresshead.
That's three already. Three more than me. they outnumber me. It's getting scary.

T-Light
10-27-2006, 05:02 PM
Exception -

Or Cresshead.
Cresshead? As in 'Steve' Cresshead? Really???
If you're reading this Cress, Many appologies, I always thought you were another one of us chaps. :)

T-Light
10-27-2006, 05:05 PM
JamesCurtis -

Actually, if you animate two spheres rotating in place they won't look animated! That is - unless they are textured!!! Ha Ha!!
Very true, I was thinking bouncing ball, but that's me, always making things way too complicated :D

T-Light
10-27-2006, 05:56 PM
Ang on there Exception old chap, I just had a look at Cress's profile and Cress says this on personal interests...

red head girls!,3d, films
Now don't get me wrong, If Cress is a lady then there's nothing wrong with that, I'm just pretty certain Cress is a bloke, I even emailed him once with a picture of our knocked over cat (It was a picture of him getting better - It wasn't something sick :stop: :D)

Are you winding us up? :devil:

Exception
10-27-2006, 07:29 PM
I'm sorry, but http://www.cresshead.com/ shows a girl, and I assumed it was a self portrait thing...

Sorry Cress.

*Except sneaks off the stage, down into the changing booths, slips on raincoat and hat, leaves through the back*

Then, T-Light, I'm sure you're a girl. Kitten and all...

T-Light
10-27-2006, 07:35 PM
Exception -

Then, T-Light, I'm sure you're a girl. Kitten and all...
Well, I do the whole furry thing Monday's to Fridays, The female impersonator thing Saturdays, and Sundays I get to experiment:D

cresshead
10-27-2006, 07:38 PM
LOL!....made my evening!
..maybe i need a new icon?....or should i buy a dress?....Hmmm!...now DON'T hold that thought!!!!!!

i'za geeza!...honest!...icon is a old character model.

T-Light
10-27-2006, 08:01 PM
Cress -

..maybe i need a new icon?....or should i buy a dress?....
I can give you this FABULOUS address in SOHO, friendly atmosphere... :D

Exception
10-28-2006, 04:44 PM
i'za geeza!...honest!...icon is a old character model.

I like you better as a girl...

cresshead
10-28-2006, 04:51 PM
....backs away from the monitor!

Exception
10-29-2006, 01:54 AM
*starts advancing towards cressheads' whereabouts.....*

DiscreetFX
10-29-2006, 05:49 AM
Hey there James!

I figured that. Just wasn't sure.

I'm a fellow Buckeye, too. Northwest corner. What part of Ohio are you from? If you told me all ready, please, forgive me for forgetting. Sometimes I suffer from short-term memory lose.

Talk to ya!

Ohio is a great place! I now live in Chicago butt I grew up in Englewood OH and have great memories of it.

:)

Zane Condren
10-29-2006, 07:16 AM
I am from Ohio as well, I grew up close to Wooster in the middle of nowhere. Though the winters in San Antonio are much nicer I miss Ohio.

THREEL
10-29-2006, 02:31 PM
I am from Ohio as well, I grew up close to Wooster in the middle of nowhere. Though the winters in San Antonio are much nicer I miss Ohio.

Yeah, I'm on a med called Coumadin for a heart condition, and if I ever get wealthy, I'll have a winter place that's a little warmer like Texas or southern Arizona.

T-Light
10-29-2006, 04:08 PM
Threel -

Yeah, I'm on a med called Coumadin for a heart condition, and if I ever get wealthy, I'll have a winter place that's a little warmer like Texas or southern Arizona
Sorry to hear that Threel. If I had the cash to buy a place on your side of the pond I'd need a really good reason not to be putting money down somewhere on the Bradenton beaches Florida. Love that area.

ted
10-29-2006, 08:10 PM
What was this thread about? :D

Exception
10-29-2006, 08:11 PM
Girls.

THREEL
10-29-2006, 08:25 PM
What was this thread about?

Are you suggesting that we're getting :offtopic:?:p

How dare us?!:D

OK everyone, get your brains back on the subject at hand.

What was it again? :confused:

Oh yeah, SpeedEDIT!!!!! :rolleyes:

T-Light
10-29-2006, 09:56 PM
Wot's Speededit? :D

badllarma
10-29-2006, 10:16 PM
Wot's Speededit? :D

Yup be nice to have those dates soon for the UK (Europe) SpeedEdit event so I can get myself booked in on flights/train/hotel (based on the fact it will no doubt be in London). :)

dmac989
10-29-2006, 10:24 PM
So are we gonna get to see a demo that we can download? I'm 15 hours from the nearest show and I work for a living, so going is not an option.

Safe Harbor
10-30-2006, 08:45 AM
Girls.

BEING a girl... :thumbsup:

Safe Harbor
11-01-2006, 10:22 AM

Well, I stand corrected. NewTek has informed me that they will NOT have SpeedEDIT ready for sale at the launch event. I hope this won't deter anyone from coming and seeing it live for themselves.... I'm sure it'll be released shortly thereafter and will be worth the wait.

mastadawg
11-07-2006, 06:53 AM
Al,
i have put my name on the list with a NT rep from Atlanta,Ga the product will be released Nov, 14th and he should have it on the 15th or 16th he said at a cost of $465. i want to know about the render time for video production as the product i am using now really stinks when it comes to the render time. i am currently using Adobe premiere.

-Mastadawg

THREEL
11-07-2006, 08:55 AM
Al,
i have put my name on the list with a NT rep from Atlanta,Ga the product will be released Nov, 14th and he should have it on the 15th or 16th he said at a cost of $465. i want to know about the render time for video production as the product i am using now really stinks when it comes to the render time. i am currently using Adobe premiere.

-Mastadawg

Ask the NT rep about rendering times for SpeedEDIT, cause I'm in the same boat you are. I have no idea. Maybe they'll have a launch party in Atlanta.

AL

mastadawg
11-07-2006, 08:59 AM
i asked them and they said it depended on the computer the least requiremts are dual core processor, 1 gb ram, 128mg video.

i have a dual core processor, 2 gb ram and 256mg nvidia card. But they still could not give me exact info on the speed in comparison to adobe. They are having an Expo in Atlanta but i cannot make it. It is during the week.

Jim_C
11-07-2006, 09:07 AM
i want to know about the render time for video production as the product i am using now really stinks when it comes to the render time.

Depending on
A-The speed of your machine
B-The type of codecs in your project
C-The complexity of your project
D-Your preference settings in re: to PC and drive speed...
Speed Edit may not have to render at all.

Work->hit play->watch->repeat.

I am only going by how VT is now. I assume SE will be the same.

VT looks at the speed of your computer as you have it set in preferences. It then looks at your project. If it sees something it thinks it can't play in real time it starts rendering a copy of just that part in the background while you are working.

When you play the project and it gets to the complex part, it plays the ready rendered file so there are no stutters in playback.

But with a fast modern machine there may be very little background rendering required. There is a delicate dance of preference setting to do to find the sweet spot, but once found, VT is very efficient.

So I guess to answer your question...how much render time..?

If there is render time required it will vary with your project (And PC speed), but there is a possibility there will be none.

What are the specs of your machine and the drives you store and work with video?

jim

Jim_C
11-08-2006, 02:49 PM
i asked them and they said it depended on the computer the least requiremts are dual core processor, 1 gb ram, 128mg video.

i have a dual core processor, 2 gb ram and 256mg nvidia card. But they still could not give me exact info on the speed in comparison to adobe. They are having an Expo in Atlanta but i cannot make it. It is during the week.

It is also going to depend A LOT on the type of files you are using in your project and VERY importantly, the video raid you will be working off of.

You could have a super quad core everything system, but if you bottle neck it with single and/or slow video drives it won't do any good and you will be back to rendering.

mastadawg
11-09-2006, 06:12 AM
what would you suggest to me. I am definately not the computer hardware savvy person, what would you suggest to me to run smooth. Right now i have a dual core processor 500 GB hard drive with 2GB RAM and 256MB nvidia graphics card. i will be capturing about 2hrs worth of video on my pc and will need to edit and the "render" (that is what i am use to) but it takes forever and then some to do that. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

-Mastadawg

JReble
11-09-2006, 06:54 AM
Well, I've built a number of edit systems in my time, in addition to purchasing some well built ones, and I can point out a couple major ommissions from the specs being thrown around.

The bus speed the CPU sports is fairly important. Anything using an Intel Core 2 Duo on a motherboard that properly supports it will run at 1066Mhz so that one's easy. Another key issue is your memory speed. You'd want to be sure you have a motherboard that supports dual channel DDR2 memory at 800 Mhz or faster. Then you need to be sure to utilize the dual channel memory feature by having two properly matched memory sticks, one in each channel. At least a gig is necessary (2 x 512MB), but more than 2 gig is probably overkill.

That speeds up your data traffic across the motherboard. Those items are probably more important than the hard drives for SpeedEdit because it's not nearly as hard on the disk traffic as RTVs in VT4. But for a good rig at reasonable price, you probably want a motherboard or add-on board that supports SATA raid. A lot of motherboards have sata ports, but not all have raid support. With the right motherboard, you can have a SATA system drive, and two SATA drives striped as Raid 0 for your video. SATA 300 drives are probably a good choice over SATA 150, but few have really noticed significant speed increases that I've read about.

It seems to be a constant these days that you definitely want a PCI express x16 videocard, preferably using an Nvidia Geforce chipset with at least 128MB of memory, though I've had good experience with the Nvidia Quatro chipsets as well. The only other big item to consider is the power supply. Get a good quality 450 watt or better from a trusted manufacturer. That's about everything I look for in a new system.

ednachman
11-09-2006, 02:15 PM
Should I delay purchasing SE with my system at this time P4 3.06GHz 3.00 GB RAM?

ted
11-09-2006, 04:55 PM
Without knowing more about your sysytem, i.e. bus speed/Drives, I think you should be fine. There will be much smarter Background Rendering with SpeedEdit so that should help also.

ednachman
11-09-2006, 05:47 PM
My FBS is 533/400MHz. All drives are 7200 rpm

ted
11-09-2006, 10:00 PM
Seems like 800+ FSB and 10-15k Drives are all the buz, but you won't be alone either for for a long time.

THREEL
11-10-2006, 01:15 AM
what would you suggest to me. I am definately not the computer hardware savvy person, what would you suggest to me to run smooth. Right now i have a dual core processor 500 GB hard drive with 2GB RAM and 256MB nvidia graphics card. i will be capturing about 2hrs worth of video on my pc and will need to edit and the "render" (that is what i am use to) but it takes forever and then some to do that. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

-Mastadawg

I can't tell you much about hardware specs to get a fast running system, but I can tell you something that speeds things up for me, making sure you have a clean system. In other words, getting rid of all the crap that you don't need on it, having a clean registry, and defragging your hard-drive (s), if you can. Oh, and having lots of free hard-drive space. I've had people suggest to me to have your programs on one drive and your projects on another, and another, and another. The registry issue I haven't tackled yet, because I don't have the software to do it, but I can tell you that the steps I've taken, defragging my hard-drive and installing another hard-drive has helped me already.

The hardware specs mentioned in other posts are probably a big help, too, I'm sure. But for me, I have to go with what I can financially afford and live with the results. Maybe, someday, Speilberg will give me a call for that "big job" and money will no longer be an object. Hehee!!!

mastadawg
11-10-2006, 09:00 AM
hey, what type of work do you do? animation or what?

THREEL
11-10-2006, 09:48 AM
hey, what type of work do you do? animation or what?

I do both animation and live action. Associates of mine and I did an animated intro to a hunting show. The intro involved floating robots building a hunting arrow in outerspace. The completed arrow was shot off to pass the planets and asteroids zipping by. The planets reflected images of different animals and passed the asteroids which flashed the names of these animals. As the arrow bared down on the Earth, it busted through several animals and exploded on impact with the last animal. When that happened, the Earth changed to a spinning version of the logo. After a few spins it stopped and faced the camera. Why the space theme? The producer wanted something high-tech, and I thought, "What's higher tech than outer space?" So, one thing led to another, and there you have it.

Also, I've worked on a real estate video, a promo video for a local Chamber of Commerce, and a Local access TV show for a karate school.

Someday, however, I would like to be producing my own videos/films.

How 'bout you?

Speedmonk42
11-13-2006, 10:53 PM

-Mastadawg

The computer will be most likely fine. I would just invest in hard drives.

Depending on what you do, either RAID or, hot swappable ones in the front so you can just yank em out for different projects.

You say it takes forever... well that could mean anything. If it is cuts only it shouldn't take any time at all.