PDA

View Full Version : Bryce 6 + LW...a good deal for 6 bucks?

prospector
10-23-2006, 11:08 PM
Well Bryce 6 is on sale for 6 bucks. Would this be a good adition to LW or should I stay with Vue 5 ?

Bill Carey
10-24-2006, 03:02 AM
It's 6 bucks, I've spent 6 bucks on a bad sandwich. Haven't installed it yet, but soon....

starbase1
10-24-2006, 03:55 AM
Thing is with a lot of this free or very low cost software, be it Bryce, Poser 5, Blender, Daz Studio or whatever, it's really not the money with me - it's the time and effort to get to know it and see if it's worth using in anger.

Bryce has many fans who say it is relatively easy to use, but I think it is fair to say that Bryce users have a strong tendency to produce very stylised images that instantly let you know what package produced it. (Generally involving balls floating in mercury under a flat sky...)

But maybe it comes with some useful content that can be converted for use with a proper prog like LW?
:D

Yacomo
10-24-2006, 07:53 AM
I admit, I still find Bryce to be a fun and addictive toy. Of course it is no match for Vue5I, but it is enjoyable to play with once in a while and it's volumetrics still put Vue5I to shame.

I have played with this new version the whole weekend and am very pleased. It has become very stable and responsive in this release and despite the claims of many people, it's render engine is pretty powerful. I am happy to see that they finally started adding 'modern' features like HDRI support, multi-processor support, leveraging it to XCode for the Macintosh version and so on...

As I said, it is a toy, but a fun one and at a price tag of 6 bucks it was a no-brainer for me :)

Signal to Noise
10-24-2006, 12:27 PM
I'd wait for a price drop to at least $5.50.

(I'm cheap that way ;) )

Bill Carey
10-24-2006, 03:07 PM
Thing is with a lot of this free or very low cost software, be it Bryce, Poser 5, Blender, Daz Studio or whatever, it's really not the money with me - it's the time and effort to get to know it and see if it's worth using in anger.

:D

I was adding to that message and ran in to the 2 minute rule....

What I was going to add was that I like Bryce's terrain editor much better than Vue's and it's other use is as a renderer for Daz Studio if you use poser content. B6 is supposed to import animations from Daz Studio as well, though I haven't tried it. If you got the Vue5I deal like I did and have Poser you probably wouldn't use Bryce much. (But it's $6)

JamesCurtis
10-24-2006, 04:26 PM
That's 6 bucks if you are a Daz3D Platinum Club member! Or is there something I don't know? Not that an additional 29.95 for the membership is all that bad, considering all of the $1.99 content you can get. I bought Bryce 5.5 about 2 months ago.

Silkrooster
10-24-2006, 07:44 PM
Yep you are right, you must be a member to get Bryce for $6.00, membership is about $30.00 (don't recall at the moment) After Nov 21st the price will be $99.95.
For me the $6.00's was an easy decision, since I am already a member and I have used Bryce since version 2.
Version 6 mostly took care of bugs, not too many new features. It can now export Bryce primitives(it couldn't before) It can now create true Boolean objects (Before the Boolean objects were non destructive only). It can now use HDRI images (light probe only). An obscene amount of presets are included (additional presets and content is available for free for a limited time)
Best reason for getting 6 would be the ability to get ver 7 at the upgrade price. As that will be the version with new features or so they say.
I find Bryce to be a bit easier to use than vue, mostly because I used it for such a long time. The renderer is still very slow and out dated, but I love how easy rendering glass is with it.
If you have Vue which many of you do, Bryce does not offer much at this time as it is mostly a code rewrite so they may add features in future versions.
Silk

Iaian7
10-26-2006, 07:36 AM
I've also used Bryce since about version 2, and while it doesn't find its way into much production work, I always end up using it for volumetrics!

Speed, quality, ease... I've found no match for Bryce's volumetric renderer. To top it off, I've had great success merely rendering out cloud elements, then comping them in After Effects. Have done a couple cloud flythroughs that way for various projects. Bryce's animation tools are almost entirely unusable, but if you just need rendered elements, it's an invaluable tool.

I also used Bryce to render trees for an FX sequence, a few years back. At the time I hadn't found a good way of importing camera animations, which was a pain. Not sure if that's improved or not.

Oh, yeah, the network renderer is top notch... open the render node app on a networked computer, and render. Couldn't be simpler or more effective!

Signal to Noise
10-26-2006, 07:43 AM
I always found Bryce's volumetric rendering to be painfully slow. Has that changed in the newest version? I stopped using Bruce at ver. 3. But at the time I really liked it for "painting" maps to turn into 3D landscapes.

Silkrooster
10-26-2006, 05:47 PM
I never done much with volumetrics in bryce as you said it is slow, but it is capable of spot volumetrics, such as just a single cloud, etc. Which isn't too bad.
I have to agree it is the simplest render farm set up of any program bar none. As long as the client program is running Bryce will search for the program and assign the ip address. Send the files to the client computers, and each computer will render a portion of the same frame. The farm is not as diverse as lightwave for exporting a sequence though, as it can only save to avi, mov or bmp sequence. Also if you want an alpha, plan on rendering a second time with the options set to alpha.
Silk

JamesCurtis
10-26-2006, 08:32 PM
I do intend on getting Bryce 6, but I'm gonna have to wait a week or so. I will join the Platinum club for a month or so then, so I can grab a gaggle of props and figures to use with Poser 5. I'll be getting P7 when I have the cash to preorder it.

I wish they would have had an upgrade path for Bryce 6 from 5.5 as I had just gotten it about two months ago. Oh well!

R Haseltine
10-27-2006, 08:21 AM
There will be an upgrade, but it will cost more than the current promotion (even if you have to join the PC - I think it's $39.95, as opposed to $35.95 with PC and B6 now - so there was no point in offering it. The B6 for $6 expires, not sure if it's on the 31st or later, so don't leave it too long.

starbase1
10-27-2006, 09:03 AM
That's 6 bucks if you are a Daz3D Platinum Club member! Or is there something I don't know? Not that an additional 29.95 for the membership is all that bad, considering all of the $1.99 content you can get. I bought Bryce 5.5 about 2 months ago.

They also say there is a no questions asked refund if you are not happy with the club membership aftrer a month...

Nick

JamesCurtis
10-27-2006, 02:23 PM
Good to know Starbase1.