PDA

View Full Version : Bug with v9 saved objects



kfiram
10-23-2006, 07:17 PM
In our recent arch-viz project, we've been using imported Poser figures. Everything worked fine and the Poser to LW route was painless - for a while. Then suddenly, when trying to load more than a dozen or so Poser objects into a single scene, LW had responded with a "can't load object".

Well, Poser objects are pretty heavy, so I thought some polygon reduction would do the trick.
And it did.

After reducing each object to around 10000 polys (no Sub-patches, just plain triangle polygons), LW agreed to load a few more Poser figures.
Until it hung again.

We've soon realised we can't have more than around 15 Poser figures at the same time in the same scene. Sometimes, we could load one more object after a system reset. Then again, sometimes even objects that had nothing to do with Poser wouldn't load into the scene. On some occasions, EVERY object we tried to load, even a simple box, would fail.

We've gotten to a point where we just couldn't complete the project at hand. Scenes refused to load, objects in the scene vanished into thin air... We've tried every possible way of fixing the problem, to no avail.

I don't know how or why, but a silly idea eventually struck me: It's LW 9.0's fault! Something to do with the new object format. Since this never happened to me in LW8 or before, I arrived to the conclusion, that somehow, saving the object in Modeler 9.0 is the cause of all my problems.

So I fired up LW8.5, loaded the objects and pressed "s" to save.
Low and behold, it worked!
Suddenly, I could load dozens of objects into the same scene. I even tested a scene with more than 900 Poser objects, and guess what - they all loaded fine!

I've done nothing but load the object in 8 and save it again (under the same name). I've used no specific LW9 features. No Catmull-Clarks, no Nodes, not even any Edge tool. These were just objects saved by Poser to an .obj format, loaded into Modeler 9.0, with textures imported using a free plugin.
These were all plain polygonal objects with some UV Maps and some JPGs for textures. And yet, LW9 did something to them that made quite a bit of mess.

Lucky I still have 8 installed, or this would mean I couldn't complete the project.

Just another LW9.0 downer...

Verlon
10-23-2006, 11:08 PM
What free plugin are you using to import the textures? I am dealing with that very headache right now.

moremetall
10-24-2006, 01:45 AM
Hi Verlon.. did find this one that I think is free (Clasic), may work, have not checked it yet..

http://www.uvmapper.com/downloads.html

kfiram
10-24-2006, 04:30 AM
Hi Verlon,

Save the files from Poser to OBJ format and then use this:
http://dodgy.ghostoutpost.com/Files/MGMTLImpExp.zip
(Just do it on LW8!!!)

moremetall
10-24-2006, 04:53 AM
kfiram, Take a look at the thread, can be usfull for you I hope.:)
did try this MGMTLImpExp file earlier but could not get it to work in LW9 at all. But with the alternative in this tread is worked fine !
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55355

SplineGod
10-24-2006, 05:03 AM
kifram,
This is off the top of my head and I havent checked.
Is there a polygon limit in your config file?

kfiram
10-24-2006, 05:56 AM
kifram,
This is off the top of my head and I havent checked.
Is there a polygon limit in your config file?

The objects are only 10,000 polys each. That shouldn't cause any problems.
I've had scenes with millions of polygons that loaded just fine.
And in any case, the objects weren't changed and their polycount remained the same, and yet now they load just fine.



did try this MGMTLImpExp file earlier but could not get it to work in LW9 at all. But with the alternative in this tread is worked fine !

MGMTLImpExp works fine on 9.0 here, this is not the cause of the problem.



Just to clarify what I did to rectify the problem:
I loaded the LWO object that I saved from Modeler 9.0 into Modeler 8.2.
I pressed "s" to save.
I loaded it back into Layout 9.0.
I did NOTHING more.
It worked.

Later on, I fired up Layout 9.0 and Modeler 8.2. I loaded a different scene that had the same issues into Layout 9.0. As before, I tried loading an object into the scene. As expected - it didn't load. The scene was somehow "locked". I knew from previous attempts that if I were to delete any single object from the scene, this lock would disappear. but this isn't what I had in mind.
Instead, I used the Hub to import an object from Layout 9.0 to Modeler 8.2. Amazingly enough, it had no problem forming a communication route between those 2 versions.
Again, in modeler 8.2, I pressed "s" to save.
I switched back to Layout.
I tried to load another object.
This time it worked just fine.

Plain and simple, this is a LW9.0 bug.

Chuck
10-24-2006, 01:08 PM
I've moved this bug report to the appropriate forum section and forwarded the report to the Development team for testing and confirmation. Content that reliably reproduces the problem would be very helpful and can be appended to a post on this thread.