PDA

View Full Version : Zbrush

lots
10-23-2006, 12:43 PM
I'm looking into trying out Zbrush, since LW9 has all that handy new displacement tools (aps). So I was wondering how everything works out for you guys? I've done a few LW to Zbrush to LW tuts I found from Zbrush and around the web, and all of that, but some of the details I have added in Zbrush do not quite show up in my mesh in LW as nicely as in Zbrush. Any tips?

I dont have any pic on me at the moment, I didn't save any of my test renders, but some of my geometry modifications tended to not show up very well.

moc
10-23-2006, 01:39 PM
Try to increase the density of your models' mesh.......
such as subpatch from default "3" increased to "10".....
Don't know it's work or not.
And besides that,you need to add other minor details map...bump or normal map...

lots
10-23-2006, 02:49 PM
Yeah I created a bump and normal map via zbrush. I was more or less experimenting. From what I found though, upping my subpatch levels didnt seem to help in the render. I will toy with it more when I get home today, and try to show what I mean through pics.

sammael
10-24-2006, 07:30 AM
I found that it helps if you paint over the areas in your aps image map with white where you need more detail. Depressions you may need to paint black but im not sure. I found just painting along the edges of the detailed areas seems to kick the aps in a bit better especially if you have vast areas with no displacement.

pixelinfected
10-24-2006, 07:53 AM
to avoid to render out million of poly when you not need, think to build your obj in zbrush, export displacement and normal map, then use displacement to build main deformation and normal map for fine dectails, that help you to speed up your workflow, and at same time have very high dectailed mesh.

lots
10-26-2006, 12:49 PM
Well to help reduce the polys, I was considering using weight maps and APS to get detail where its needed most as well.

I havn't done much character stuff, but am slowly improving my skill set in this area :) Sorry about the lack of pics, I've been kinda busy. I'll get around to it I'm sure :)

UnCommonGrafx
10-26-2006, 01:48 PM
Exactly, lots. The disp map is used with a gradient to drive where aps is higher/lower; weight maps go even farther for defining zone detail.