PDA

View Full Version : Screamernet..Shouldn't it save time?

Ivan_B
10-23-2006, 04:38 AM
Hi there,

I have setup screamernet and it seems to be working fine. However, Isn't it suppose to save render time?

I have small scene, each frame takes a minute to render, and there is 60 frames, so with 1 pc it should take an hour...So why is it when I decided to use my render farm 5 pc's (all pc's are about 2.4 ghz) it also took 1 hour?

Shouldn't it be 5 times faster..about 10 to 15 mins for 60 frames...OR Not?..Have I set it up wrong...its working.

Thanks
Ivan.

zapper1998
10-23-2006, 04:52 AM
Have you set up a test scene....ok dahh
How many cpu's does each machaine have??If more than 1 cpu, use a node for each cpu, Screamernet renders really fast here, I have 3 machines with,
[ 4cpu's] [2 cpu's] [2 cpu's]. It's like having 8 machines, and the animations render fast and slow, the animnation, depends on how fast and how much ram u have...some scenes render faster and some slower...

Michael

ChrisPitts
10-23-2006, 09:07 AM
Five systems should be much faster than one system. We may need to do some troubleshooting. Something doesn't seem quite right. Give us a call at 210-341-8444.

Also, have you tested the scene with just the one system? Sometimes the last frame takes longer to render than the first frame, particularly when the scenes and renders start getting really complex.

Ivan_B
10-23-2006, 04:36 PM
Hi People,
The pc's I'm using have 1 cpu @ 2.4 ghz and the main pc is 2.8ghz... Before I posted this thread, I made sure to check that there wasnt a variation in render times between different frames (havn't rendered the whole scene with one pc yet).. rendered about 5 frames at different points along the timeline, each was about 1min 5sec.
It all seems a bit odd, it looks as though each pc is taking it in turns to render, rather than at the same time...Everything indicates that its working correctly (dos windows etc)

Cant afford to call, but thanks Chris..I'm in Australia.

Thanks again
Ivan.

Ivan_B
10-24-2006, 04:46 PM
Any ideas where to start troubleshooting?

Ivan_B
10-24-2006, 07:09 PM
Hey Megaldon,

Yes I am..you cant render animations (Videos) with screamernet.

Ivan.

randomnumbers
10-24-2006, 07:50 PM
Sounds like each cpu is being set to use the same ack/job number.
This would cause only one cpu to render at a time.
The command line:
lwsn.exe command\job1 command\ack1
should have a different number for each cpu.
lwsn.exe command\job2 command\ack2
lwsn.exe command\job3 command\ack3
etc.
How many cpus is screamernet reporting when you initialise it in layout?

Ivan_B
10-24-2006, 08:33 PM
Megaldon..Thats cool mate. thank you..I'm definatly not insulted!

Randomnumbers...It finds all 5 pc's...The DOS windows suggest that the pc's are rendering at the same time..When all 5 pc's finish the frames, the images appear in the save folder pretty much at the same time..It just seems they take much longer to render the frames then it would with one pc.

I also have a VUE render farm setup, that definatly speeds up the render..obviously 5 times faster...So I know the network is working correctly.(Vue Is a different setup..I know..just though I'd point that out)

I'll double check the ack's etc..but I'm pretty sure there correct...

Thank you all!
Ivan.