PDA

View Full Version : Apple Qmaster+lightwave

Darrell
10-22-2006, 10:44 PM
has anyone here tried rendering LW scenes with Qmaster?...I've tried so far but unable to get it working.

Chilton
10-22-2006, 10:58 PM
Hi Darrell,

The Universal Binary is a Mach-O application, and therefore could offer much better support for technologies like Qmaster, which tend to have issues with PEF/CFM applications (which the shipping version of LW currently is).

-Chilton

Darrell
10-23-2006, 08:11 AM
well i am using a PowerPC G5, & LW 8.5. I don't know what PEF/CFM? what does that stand for?

thanks for your response by the way

Chilton
10-23-2006, 09:03 AM
Hi Darrell,

well i am using a PowerPC G5, & LW 8.5. I don't know what PEF/CFM? what does that stand for?

thanks for your response by the way

No problem. It's just techno-babble. Sometimes I use it when I want to feel smart.

PEF/CFM refers to the style of application the current shipping version of LightWave is. PEF = Preferred Executable Format (I think), and CFM = Code Fragment Manager (also I think). PEF and CFM are often used interchangeably these days. These are the older style Mac apps, and can run in OS9 and older (though I don't think LightWave would handle that too well). Mach-O is the new application format used for Mac OSX apps, and will not run in MacOS9 and earlier.

If you really want me to, I can get more specific, but I'm trying to read Apple documentation right now, and my brain is a bit fizzled.

-Chilton