PDA

View Full Version : Dynamic Realities specials

Beamtracer
06-11-2003, 11:17 PM
I notice that Dynamic Realities are having a "sale" with special prices on Lightwave plug-ins.

http://www.dynamic-realities.com/

I'm thinking of purchasing Napalm (particle simulator) as it lets you create particles that follow along a path (Lightwave's PFX can't).

Also on special is
Impact 3 (hard body dynamics)
NatureFX (ocean wave simulator)
Pyro (smoke & fire generator)
Tree Druid (creates trees)
Thor (makes lightning bolts & electrical arcs)

It's called the "fall sale" so I don't know how long the prices will stay.

There's a 14-day OS X demo of Napalm at this URL (979KB file):
http://www.dynamic-realities.com/demos/napalm(demo).p.bin

And instructions on how to use it here:
http://www.dynamic-realities.com/support/onlinedocs/Napalm/

It took me ages to find the URL for those online instructions, so that's why I included them here.

toby
06-11-2003, 11:43 PM
thanks for the heads-up

wizlon
06-12-2003, 01:57 AM
Beam, how many times have I told you on other threads, I've even supplied the scene files, Lightwave particles can follow a path.

Here it is again.

Beamtracer
06-12-2003, 07:42 PM
Hi Wizlon.

I couldn't open your attachment. What method are you using?

In the past I've made scenes with Lightwave particles traveling through a vertical curvey tube... a tube shaped a bit like a drain pipe on the side of a building.

The particles naturally want to fall like marbles.

To get it to look more like a gas, I used multiple wind effectors. It kind of worked in the end, but it wasn't very efficient.

It would be much easier to be able to create a path, and have all those particles just follow it.

Maybe you have a better solution.

wizlon
06-13-2003, 02:05 AM
Hi beam, it's not a work-around or a cheat it's a built in feature of Lightwave's particle system - here's how it's done - start with a empty scene add a null call it 'path', make several different position keyframes for that null over 120 frames (for example), that gives you your motion path, then go to item properties for that path null and under the geometry tab add FX wind, in the options change the wind mode to 'path'.
Then add a second null to the scene, call this 'emitter' position it at the same location as your 'path' null, under item properties add FX emitter to this null, you can leave all settings at the default, but under the particle tab set Life time to the same duration as your scene - eg. if you animated your path null over 120 frames you set your particle lifetime to 120.

Hope this makes sense.

Give it a go, let me know if you don't have any luck, and I'll e-mail you the scene files directly.

Lee.

toby
06-13-2003, 03:17 AM
that's way cool! and easy -

we should have a thread for stuff like this (it's not in the manual is it?) - these little gems buried in LW

Beamtracer
06-13-2003, 05:03 PM
Hi, Wizlon. Thanks for that tip. I had to read it a couple of times, but it makes sense. I'll give it a go.

Another problem I had with Lighwave's inbuilt particle effects is that if you want to replace your particles with objects you must use the FX Linker. Whenever I use FX Linker, it seems to max out at around 1930 particles, even if you set it to have more.

Chuck
06-16-2003, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by toby
that's way cool! and easy -

we should have a thread for stuff like this (it's not in the manual is it?) - these little gems buried in LW

We have an entire forum for it - the LightWave Tips and Techniques section! :)

Beamtracer
06-16-2003, 05:27 PM
Wizlon's particle tip works really well. The particles are flowing up and around the path I created. Fantastic! This method of making particles flow along a wind path doesn't seem to be made obvious in the LW manual.

I bought Napalm before I read this solution. Anyway, it was on special and will provide a few more controls over particles.