PDA

View Full Version : 9.x coming very soon?

T-Light
10-22-2006, 07:18 PM
Why?
Because we're limited to 2 minute edits again, last time this was introduced was the pre 9 beta.

ShawnStovall
10-22-2006, 07:25 PM
Yep.

riki
10-22-2006, 07:41 PM
?? You lost me

T-Light
10-22-2006, 07:51 PM
riki -

?? You lost me
Try editing your post, you won't be able to. Normaly you can edit and re-edit your posts for ages. We're now back to two minutes, aka... 'beta rules'.

riki
10-22-2006, 07:58 PM
aah very tricky.

I was thinking two minute edits in Layout, which would get annoying :)

T-Light
10-22-2006, 08:14 PM
:D

Plus, unless it's just announced, ie 'Go get it', we could soon be in for another Hmmm xxth already:D. Those were the days, writing all kinds of drunken nonesence and unable to redit your posts. :D

Bring it on :newtek: :newtek: :newtek: :thumbsup:

Sekhar
10-22-2006, 08:58 PM
Why limit edit time around beta? Can't figure out the link between the two...

paulhart
10-22-2006, 09:06 PM
Someone has been paying very close attention, I only hope it is relevant, I have been reading tea leaves for signs also, to little avail....

T-Light
10-23-2006, 12:05 AM
Sekhar

Why limit edit time around beta? Can't figure out the link between the two...
When your on the beta you sign an NDA, I suppose the thinking is someone can post something they shoudn't, keep it up for half an hour so people can view it then remove it without the mods knowing or without leaving a trace. I can't think of any other reason.
PaulHart -

I have been reading tea leaves for signs also, to little avail....
Try runes, I find them more accurate :D

T-Light
10-23-2006, 01:44 AM
OH HANG ON,
In fact hold everything, NAB New York opens TODAY!

More than coincidence?

http://www.nabnewyork.com/default.asp

StereoMike
10-23-2006, 02:39 AM
I hang on!

Matt
10-23-2006, 03:06 AM
I'll believe it when NT posts it, otherwise no sense in working yourself up over it.

T-Light
10-23-2006, 03:20 AM
I honestly think the 'beta rules' settings of two minute edits on these forums are the best sign we've had yet that 9.x is just hours or days away, (either that or someone on the web team's clicked something they shouldn't), when you add that to Nab's opening day, we could well have a winner. :)

Plakkie
10-23-2006, 03:45 AM
Err... and if 9.x is on it's way, what does that mean? Will there be triple render speeds, blisteringfast openGL view's, more edgetools..? :D Heck, I haven't even started exploring 9.0's full potential yet! :stumped: By the time I fully learn LW we'll probably be on version 12.8. Or... LW will be an odd plugin for Autodesk- Megacorp's latest ultra-expensive 3D-sollution. :devil:

T-Light
10-23-2006, 03:56 AM
Plakkie-

Will there be triple render speeds, blisteringfast openGL view's, more edgetools..?
Yes :)

lw3d23
10-23-2006, 06:19 AM
I just want to know whether the open beta could start before X mas or not . if open beta starts in 2007, since open beta will take few more months, it seems we couldn't get next update until Siggraph. :(

KillMe
10-23-2006, 07:00 AM
more to the point there should be updated open gl in modeler

Nicolas Jordan
10-23-2006, 09:17 AM
I think it's very reasonable to expect to see the next release before Christmas.

Bog
10-23-2006, 09:21 AM
Yeah, I can think of a couple of places where a bit of .1 or .2 goodness wouldn't go amiss.

So here's hoping Brent's got the right of it.

Andyjaggy
10-23-2006, 09:38 AM
Seriously though I haven't even begun to explore all the new features in 9, but then again my livelyhood is not dependent on Lightwave. I am sure those making their living and working in a production environment could definately use some bug fixes.

Still I would love to see some Open GL imporvements in Modeler.

Wickster
10-23-2006, 10:26 AM
:D

Plus, unless it's just announced, ie 'Go get it', we could soon be in for another Hmmm xxth already:D. Those were the days, writing all kinds of drunken nonesence and unable to redit your posts. :D

Bring it on :newtek: :newtek: :newtek: :thumbsup:
Drunken nonsence??? What the hekk??? I took all the the things said in there to heart, believed it and worshipped every word. The words and advices became the pinacle of my life. :D

T-Light
10-23-2006, 11:52 AM
Fear not Wickster, some of it was real. For instance, all the alien abduction stories were true , none of us here would make those up :D

gatibee
10-23-2006, 01:38 PM
hmm wait a minute .... well it didnīt happen ..

theo
10-23-2006, 02:13 PM
I disguised myself as a homeless person and after two days of laying in my stench on the doorstep of the Newtek office trailer I, finally, am able to reveal some inside information.

The next version of LW is being officially renamed LW Anticlimax3D 5.0 which will usher in a later version, possibly around 2008, of Anticlimax3D 2.5.

It does appear that we will be entering into a new era of reversions and digressions which will lead up to the proposed and subtly promised LW Fandango3D version 1.0 in 2010.

Jay has been very clear about this, daily, in his communications to various terrans on the stoop I lay on. Ladies and gentlemen we are now embarking on the new path of neutron software development.

Qualifier: all in jest, for those with very thick heads....

ShawnStovall
10-23-2006, 02:34 PM
Err... and if 9.x is on it's way, what does that mean? Will there be triple render speeds, blisteringfast openGL view's, more edgetools..? :D Heck, I haven't even started exploring 9.0's full potential yet! :stumped: By the time I fully learn LW we'll probably be on version 12.8. Or... LW will be an odd plugin for Autodesk- Megacorp's latest ultra-expensive 3D-sollution. :devil:

That is what's most likely to happen to all non-Autodesk 3D and editing apps. It truly is a shame....

cresshead
10-23-2006, 03:02 PM
actually autodesk have some really nice apps...i use 3dsmax as well as lightwave..and find max to be very good in fact.

Thomas M.
10-23-2006, 03:16 PM
Cresshead just qualified himself to get burned on the stake. What a nice Halloween surprise.

Bill Carey
10-23-2006, 03:21 PM
Yes, yes, yes, all those ideas for 9.1 are wonderful, but what I'd really like is for modeler not to crash everytime I play with the menus. I like to move things around, not being able to reorganize things willy nilly bugs me. Of course, I'll take the modeler opengl, edge tools etc too....:thumbsup:

cresshead
10-23-2006, 03:36 PM
you mean i'm pretty 'hot' on things?
hey...don't 'flame' me! [burgerking style]

KillMe
10-23-2006, 03:40 PM
=/ what annos me is that we were promiced a new faster released schedule - and yet many months later - not even a bug fix release? - newtek really is slow =/

cresshead
10-23-2006, 03:47 PM
i'm hoping thatthe 'lack of action' is in fact because they [newtek] are working deep in the core so there would be no quick updates if that were the case as they may well be opening up lw for fprime, adding stuff we've dreamt about for ages [new animation]....i really wouldn't be surprised if 9x actually turns out to be lightwave 10 and is released next siggraph...we may get a point update in the mean time which we'll all be somewhat bemused by...and newtek keeps stum until siggraph 2007 where they let the beast out which is lw10 with huge steps forward such as nr full intergration of modeling inside layout...modifier stacks [history] instancing and cool rigging tools and new bone system...hey then maybe in the middle of buying messiah and bringing that inside lightwve for version 10....

maybe i'm pushing the boat of possiblilties out a bit but hey....good to dream!

Exception
10-23-2006, 04:05 PM
Cresshead just qualified himself to get burned on the stake. What a nice Halloween surprise.

Shhhh!
It's a girl!

Witchhunt!

Tlight... if lw 9.x doesnt get released within 48 hours now, I will set fire to a cute set of kittens in a box on my desk. I will blame it on you, cos you have me so worked up, I tried to drink from my mouse, tried to type on a piece of cake and bit my keyboard.

JamesCurtis
10-23-2006, 04:09 PM
Heck, I'd rather they get everything right for the 9.x release. But if it did go to LW10, I'd hope that everyone that bought into 9 would get version 10 then for FREE!!!

Just dreamin', I know!!!

T-Light
10-23-2006, 04:28 PM
Cheer up killme, it won't be long now :)
The best thing that can happen is they now give us either a beta release or a date (and you can start a new hmmm xxth), The worst thing that can happen is they say the 2 min edits are an admin error and I get dragged down a dark alley the next time I'm seen in the street by a waver.

T-Light
10-23-2006, 04:32 PM
Exception -

Tlight... if lw 9.x doesnt get released within 48 hours now, I will set fire to a cute set of kittens in a box on my desk. I will blame it on you, cos you have me so worked up, I tried to drink from my mouse, tried to type on a piece of cake and bit my keyboard.
:D :D :D
If it isn't an admin error in the forums I'm pretty convinced 9.x beta will be announced shortly. :)

(Jeez, I'm going to look such a clutz if I'm wrong aren't I)

Dragon Lee
10-23-2006, 04:39 PM
Ofcourse the 2min edits might point to an open beta for SpeedEdit? :devil:

T-Light
10-23-2006, 04:43 PM
It did cross my mind about the video side of things but Newtek haven't announced anything, I mean, is there anything in the video side that allows prepurchasing of software ready for beta testing?

GraphXs
10-23-2006, 04:53 PM
Actually I hope Newtek doesn't give us a date, every time they do we see the date come and go.:thumbsdow They should finish it, say it coming in two weeks, then release it a week ahead of schedule, so everyone would feel all warm inside. :thumbsup:

Dragon Lee
10-23-2006, 05:04 PM
For now I'll patiently wait it out...I've learned my lesson in this/past betas...

Untill I hear something solid my mind bounces between either:

- Bad news: Newtek is on the verge of bankrupcy and/or the new programming team quit (again).
- Great news: New streamlined code has been introduced requiring a total rehaul of the 9 core, allowing easier integration of Fprime and a bunch of other neat new features, perhaps a semi-realtime Global Illumination model?

Eternal optimist that I am, I'll quietly root for the latter :)

cresshead
10-23-2006, 05:27 PM
at least newtek don't have to rely on sony batteries!.....booom!

Exception
10-23-2006, 08:32 PM
It did cross my mind about the video side of things but Newtek haven't announced anything, I mean, is there anything in the video side that allows prepurchasing of software ready for beta testing?

Um, I did get a Speededit launching party event email today...

T-Light
10-23-2006, 09:11 PM
Ooo, when is it? and are they taking pre-orders?

Thing is, if they're having a launch party, it's unlikely they'll be releasing a beta and if there's no beta then there's no reason they'd be blocking our edits. Soooo, things are still pointing to 9.x

Verlon
10-23-2006, 11:05 PM
You can't preorder. You click on Speededit "Buy it now" and it takes you to a place with no Speededit.

They should probably fix that....

T-Light
10-24-2006, 04:38 AM
Maybe they're just too busy getting 9.x beta ready (OK, I'm dreaming there, that's not related)

GraphXs -

Actually I hope Newtek doesn't give us a date, every time they do we see the date come and go.
They gave us Feb 14th for the 9.0 beta and they stuck to it, the Hmmm 14th thread came about only a couple of hours before people could download :)

ScottSullivan
10-24-2006, 11:12 AM
Maybe they're just too busy getting 9.x beta ready (OK, I'm dreaming there, that's not related)

Or it could a social experiment being played on us!!!!

I'm hoping for 9.x, though. But even if that's not the case, I think many here are STILL busy with the 9.0 release. I'm STILL finding out great stuff in there!

Warm regards,
Scott

RedBull
10-24-2006, 02:40 PM
It would be kind of nice to know of future updates.
A letter or statement of whats next might be good.

Maya 8, Max9, C4D 10 all had decent updates, and seem to hit the ground running, all of them have demo versons that are available now, it's almost like the others want to sell 3D publically to customers.

NT need to get moving, the others all seem to be.

kopperdrake
10-24-2006, 03:34 PM
Woah! Possibility of a point release? I'd better install my copy of 9 then...

Matt
10-24-2006, 03:52 PM
- Bad news: Newtek is on the verge of bankrupcy and/or the new programming team quit (again)

Don't even joke about that!

T-Light
10-24-2006, 04:04 PM
Nah, If Newtek were going under they wouldn't be having a launch party for speededit. If the coding team had upped anchor we'd have heard about it on other forums.

So...
Newtek isn't going under (Speededit launchparty)
Coders haven't left (We'd have heard about it)
If Speededit was going 'Beta' they wouldn't be having a launch party so no 'beta' forum rules neccessary.

So, what other reason could they have for 2 minute edit beta rules???...
...Other than... :D

kopperdrake
10-24-2006, 04:12 PM
...the webbie pushed the wrong button in Dreamweaver? ;)

Dragon Lee
10-24-2006, 04:40 PM
Nah, If Newtek were going under they wouldn't be having a launch party for speededit. If the coding team had upped anchor we'd have heard about it on other forums.

Well things are so eerily silent, there are no hard facts about an upcoming release. (ok not quite true, I've seen some of the new bits in action on IBC, still, nothing solid has been put on paper so to say).

I almost feel as if there's this raging tornado bringing amazing destruction, and yet there is this one spokesperson standing like a prophet and shouting out over the noise: "were doing this tremendous work in the background, good times are coming, after the rain comes the sunshine"

And yet, he stood there for months now, and meanwhile the leaky rooftops never got fixed :-P

So, what other reason could they have for 2 minute edit beta rules???...
...Other than... :D

To mock us? :P

Streamlining/Updating the Forum code?

Seriously though, I don't think we'd hear it immediately if the programming team had gripes and quit, took a while for events to progress outward to the community the last time it happened...

Anyway, I do not consider the team leaving a truth for now, as always I have faith Newtek will come up with "something" in the near future.

I just do not believe the rules change on the forum is the sole pointer to an imminent arrival of a 9.x (beta) update.

T-Light
10-26-2006, 08:27 AM
Turns out it's an admin issue. Sorry Everyone.

Chuck replied in a thread on the beta forums. Strangely, it was also stated that 'beta rules' for two minute edits didn't exist for the beta testing period of 9.0, it was just coincidence? er, OK... :confused:

Back to the tealeaves, the runes, crystal balls or signs of the zodiac, whichever you prefer for predicting your updates guys. Sorry again.

Verlon
10-26-2006, 08:45 AM
OF COURSE he would say something like that......

That's exactly what the New World Order would TELL him to say in a situation like this.

art
11-01-2006, 06:59 AM
Why?
Because we're limited to 2 minute edits again, last time this was introduced was the pre 9 beta.
I admire your clairvoyance skills.

T-Light
11-01-2006, 07:10 AM
Art, are you suggesting that 2 minute edit's shall stop once the beta testing period is over???

Why Sir that is now sacrilege, get thyself to a nunnery and be cleansed of such devious thoughts :devil: :D

art
11-01-2006, 07:26 AM
Well, you predicted the beta 10 days ahead of time. Can you tell us more about the next one, or better yet, about the big 10 point oh?

I hope that they cut down the edit times to 1 minute next time. Two minutes is way to long to make up my mind. Would it be too crazy to suggest a time limit for actually writing a post?

T-Light
11-01-2006, 07:53 AM
Art -

Can you tell us more about the next one, or better yet, about the big 10 point oh?
I had to use my .013 beta time machine for this one, but from what I can see v10 bits and bobs will show in Siggy 07, Woah, Andy Bishop's showing off painting and displacement mapping with a wacom and WOW there a......(bangs machine)...fuzzy clouds..smell of burning....

Phil
11-01-2006, 11:17 AM
Version 10 adds a 'make pretty picture' button. It's actually a link to idiot2.p ;)

Wickster
11-01-2006, 01:04 PM
I wish the monthly LW newsletter would have a "Developer's Report" section on it every month to let us users know what's happenin. Even if there isn't a scheduled a pointX and/or maintenance release.

art
11-01-2006, 01:20 PM
Version 10 adds a 'make pretty picture' button. It's actually a link to idiot2.p ;)
With an advent of advanced AI we might see something like that one day. I bet people will debate furiously whether the pretty pictures produced by AI can be considered art or not.

Bog
11-01-2006, 02:33 PM
With an advent of advanced AI we might see something like that one day. I bet people will debate furiously whether the pretty pictures produced by AI can be considered art or not.

If you're smart enough to write an AI that can do that, then I'll gladly confer the title of "Artist" on you regardless ;)

T-Light
11-01-2006, 02:40 PM
Bog -

If you're smart enough to write an AI that can do that, then I'll gladly confer the title of "Artist" on you regardless
A mere trifle Sir, I shall write you one forthwith, just as soon as my time machine's out of beta.

Bog
11-01-2006, 02:41 PM
Bog -

A mere trifle Sir, I shall write you one forthwith, just as soon as my time machine's out of beta.

*chuckle*

I'd settle for a brainplug, to be honest.

MMm. Neuroface.