PDA

View Full Version : mini-modo? hexagon 2

borkus
10-22-2006, 05:41 PM
kinda old news now. it got released in april, but i went to daz3d.com for content for poser, i couldn't help but look at this little puppy. i had every intention of saving up for zbrush, or perhaps even modo. but the more i read of the features on hexagon 2, the more i realized that i would be paying $149 for features that weren't already redundant in lightwave itself. what i'm really interested in is the displacement painting and 3d painting. if nothing else worked in it, i would still be happy. like i said, the other 2 i was looking at are $500 and $800 respectively. read about 20 reviews and most, if not all were positive. it supports .3ds, .obj. .dxf and a few other exports. no .lwo though. sigh..... just wondering if anybody was using it for lightwave and how much of the work you do (displacement and textural) painting came thru in the conversion. it's native save format is .car. carrara. ugh.... the only thing that makes me lean back towards zbrush is that is directly supported by lightwave.

meatycheesyboy
10-22-2006, 11:11 PM
I bought it awhile ago when Daz first took ownership of it and I personally don't like it. In my experience, it crashes alot and has enough redraw issues to warrant it not useable. For displacement painting, I have gone to Silo 2 (in beta right now). It is way more stable than Hex, even in its beta form. Unfortunately, it lacks texture painting which Hex does have.

T-Light
10-23-2006, 12:49 AM
meatycheeseboy -

In my experience, it crashes alot and has enough redraw issues to warrant it not useable
Did you try the update? I think it was 2.1, that's a heck of a lot more stable, it's not a 100%, but it's better.

As to Hex v ZBrush, I suppose you get what you pay for, I don't have zbrush but it looks fantastic. I think ZBrush has much better memory handling, Hex 2 is a memory guzzler. If you raise even a low poly object's subd's high enough to get reasonable displacement handling it will bring lower spec machines to their knees. (You can switch off uneccessary surfaces to speed this up)

Saying all that, some of the guys here like it, if there's a demo, give it a go and see if it's right for you :)

Also, do a search on hex and geothefaust. He made a demo vid on exporting LW ojects into hex via .obj format and importing the dispacement maps back into LW.

SplineGod
10-23-2006, 01:01 AM
Mudbox is also something to watch:
http://www.mudbox3d.com/

StereoMike
10-23-2006, 02:42 AM
There's also cb modelpro, but I never tried it.
It's free by dassault systemes (cosmic blobs, catia, etc)

http://www.cbmodelpro.com/

Larry, how do you get a grip on mudbox, isn't it beta?

Mike

starbase1
10-23-2006, 05:02 AM
Kind of depressing that no one seems to think the LW modeller will catch up any time soon...

SplineGod
10-23-2006, 05:20 AM
Mike,
Ive seen MB demoed. Very impressive :)

Starbase,
Its software. Im pretty sure modeler will get updated at some point. Lucky for us theres lots of cheap or free additions or alternatives until LW is updated. :)

StereoMike
10-23-2006, 07:16 AM
I see. I hoped you were betatester ;)

Mike

Bliz
10-23-2006, 10:55 AM
I bought Hexagon2, updated it to 2.1 but still find crash bugs and redraw issues. To be honest, I bought it before finding out that the original programming team were being kicked off the project by DAZ. If I'd have known that I would have thought twice because Hexagon doesn't seem to have that buzz or development momentum other products has. I'll be surprised if we ever see a Hexagon3.

If you want to try displacement painting for free there is a version of Blender3D that includes displacement painting. I can't comment on how good or not it is though as I haven't used it.

I would have bought ZBrush2 a while ago but the news about Mudbox stopped me. I'm waiting for Mudbox and ZBrush2.5 to be released and then look at the situation again.

cresshead
10-23-2006, 11:08 AM
i've got hexagon and it's okay but i'm having a devil of a time getting the models out of it over to lightwave or max..any links to people who have had better results?

as for z brush...well just ran a modeling competition over on our fourm this weekend and one of the contestants made a rather nice ailen facehugger model with max/zbrush...for me i'd always go with a known software rather than hype or promises..i've just sent off for s ome z brush training dvd's with a view to watch them then go and get z brush ifit looks like i'll find it good to work with...

here's that facehugger from z brush......will post link in next reply

cresshead
10-23-2006, 11:10 AM
http://www.fotothing.com/photos/5fe/5fefb3c9c7aa2a13bd879855893a28cc_7d0.jpg

http://www.fotothing.com/photos/06a/06aef6ad09167f7c2e3d08206349acd6_486.jpg

Bliz
10-23-2006, 11:17 AM
No need to buy ZBrush training vids to get an idea of it's workflow.

There is a personal learning edition of ZBrush2 available. It will be crippled but good enough to see if you get on with it [I assume?]

cresshead
10-23-2006, 11:36 AM
yeah i but i want to see a pro working with it rather than blindly going around or sitting reading thru help files...maybe i'm just lazy!

T-Light
10-23-2006, 12:09 PM
Steve, they used to have workflow vids on their site for zbrush, are they not there anymore?

cresshead
10-23-2006, 12:34 PM
probably!..the gnomon dvd's [3 of them] are on their way anyhow!
as with any app i get these day's it's not just what it can do or how cool it is but what training materials are available for it that top my list or requirerments...so even if mudbox came out tomorrow i'd not be that interested in it as there would be not be much in the way of structured video tutorials by pro's for sale....one reason that lw and max found their way to me for example.

cresshead
10-23-2006, 02:54 PM
cool! that's one of the dvd's i've ordered!...
looking forward to getting in there with z brush!

SplineGod
10-23-2006, 06:37 PM
I will say this. Just out of the Box Mudbox is way easier to use then ZBruh IMO. :)

cresshead
10-23-2006, 07:08 PM
it probably is!...but the box is still being made!
not for sale as yet
no price point
no date of release
no idea about bugs
basically doesn't exist as a product
just internal beta really

i heard load of things about lw6 having stunning max beating quadroped type capabilities...vapourware in the end

i tend to only walk on solid ground if you know what i mean..

i tried to gert on the mudbox beta but nothing came of it...if it's anygood when it's release..2006 or 2007 then i'll buy it...til then z brush is a production worthy product i can actually put to work in the meantime..

cresshead
10-23-2006, 07:12 PM
typo above ...can't edit it!....dwart...er drit.....err..ohh drat!