PDA

View Full Version : new to LW_texture help

sacsack
10-22-2006, 03:48 PM
Hi all,
What I want to do is texture a cube with 6 textures on for each side.
I would think that should be easy. I been all over the web looking for tut. that did that. I found all kinds of tut. that did all kinds things on vu mapping. I can't make out how to just do a cube. If any one can point me to a tut. that does that I will be happy. I am a cheap date.
Thank you all
renny:newhere:

RudySchneider
10-22-2006, 03:56 PM
sacsack ---
Your best bet is to select each face of your cube one-by-one and assign it a separate surface name ("q" hotkey). Then, use Surface Editor to place the individual textures (T) on the faces. In the Texture Editor dialog box, you can choose to either automatically size the texture to fit the face, or expand or contract its size.

If you REALLY need to UV map the textures in place, you may want to consider reading a bit more of the manual.

sacsack
10-22-2006, 04:20 PM
Ho I have about 9 hours of reading this week end. That sound good, I will try it right now.
thanks for the help
renny

sacsack
10-22-2006, 04:36 PM
Hi,
Can not find Texture Editor dialog box. I used the help ans search and found not a thing.:newhere:

peteb
10-22-2006, 05:02 PM
Personally I'd UV map each side and use one T-page with the different elements you want on it. There's some good tutorials on the newtek website about UV mapping so have a read up there. If not there then have a look for UV's in the manual .

Pete B

sacsack
10-22-2006, 05:37 PM
Hi,
Well I went back to the LW help and read every thing on Surface Editor and got my txture in it and ready to put on the front face of the cube. But it does not tell how you put is on a face. The photo below show what I have. what I need to do now is texture the front face of the cube.
thank you

gjjackson
10-22-2006, 07:19 PM
You would choose whether you want it on the X , Y or Z axis. The scale and position with align it how you want. When looking through the camera you are looking at the Z axis.

sacsack
10-22-2006, 09:36 PM
How do I get the image from the surface editor to the face on the cube?

SplineGod
10-23-2006, 01:08 AM
Theres several ways to do it. The simplest is to make make each face of the cube its own surface and apply the texture as a planar map.

sacsack
10-23-2006, 12:53 PM
I have done all of that I have the texture in the surface editor and the front of the cube selected. The front side is selected in the surface editor. I have raed how to do that. I need to know what I do next. The tut. stops there .So what happen next to get the texture from the surface editoe to the face of the cube?

gerry_g
10-23-2006, 04:57 PM
Ahhh !!, maybe I'm wrong , but you seem to be under the impression that selecting the front of the cube will make it visible to the surface editor, when in fact you have to select the surface , hit 'q' on the keyboard and in the pop up window that follows name the surface ( if you select the front poly name it front and so on). only then will it show up in the texture editors list, and only then can you select it and click on the 'T' button to load a texture.

sacsack
10-23-2006, 08:32 PM
Ok, let see if I can go step by step.

1. photo1 make cube.

2. photo 2 select face.

3. photo 3 load image.

4. photo 6 bring up surface edtior and load in the texture from the texture editor.

5. photo last... now what?

I just can't find what to do after that. thank you
renny:help:

sacsack
10-23-2006, 08:34 PM
last photo:hey:

SplineGod
10-23-2006, 10:31 PM
Select a face on your cube.
Hit the q key and give the face a surface name.
Repeat for each face of the cube.
In the surface editor select a face.
Click on the T button next to the color channel.
Apply texture as planar map down appropriate axis.
Click on Auto size.
Done.
Repeat for each surface.

gjjackson
10-24-2006, 04:37 PM
Looking at your perspective window you need to drop down the Flat Shade and select a texture shade. Usually you do all your modelling and then when done go into layout to do the surfacing, because lighting etc makes a Big difference on what you see.

sacsack
10-24-2006, 07:27 PM
gjjackson thanks the dropdown box with texture did it. Thank you.
renny