PDA

View Full Version : Messiah or MotionBuilder?

theadle
06-11-2003, 07:48 PM
Plus and minuses anyone?

OR

Is it just worth it to learn 7.5
AND
wait for 8.0?

thanks.

LSlugger
06-14-2003, 12:05 AM
I don't have experience with either program, but I'm planning to take advantage of the one-year Motion Builder license, available with the current issue of Digit magazine. I'm anxious to try it with the motion-capture data from a recent issue of 3D World magazine.

I tried the Messiah Animate demo, but I wasn't motivated to do much with it, knowing how much it costs. Also, I don't think there's been an update in over six months.

theadle
06-14-2003, 12:47 AM
Well...I am knee deep in the MotionBuilder stuff right now
and I have to tell you it is very impressive! You are going
to love it.

I can't believe how easy it is to learn!

Cheers.

rapscallion
06-19-2003, 04:05 AM
Hey...Hi...so there is much buzz right now over Motion Builder, which of course will get people going on the Messiah trip again, too...but can I just take one minute to mention something that may sound silly?....have any of you tried Poser? I know it is a rinky dink low-budget program, but it actually has a really well thought out control system and the Set-Up Room feature on versions 4 (ProPack) and 5 is very simple and requires no thought about rotations or anything like that, not to mention that it auto-weight maps your mesh in a really clean trouble free way...the reason I mention all this, is because as cool as Motion Builder is (pick up your free copy in the new issue of DIGIT magazine!), and as groundbreaking as Messiah once was, they both suffer the same drawback of requiring you to essentially use plug-ins similar to MD_Plug to stick the motion info to the vertices of your mesh - you have no bones on anything in layout! so no quick adjustments! So maybe your wondering then why I mentioned that seemingly cheesy little program Poser? Well, Poser lets you import any mesh you want, then you can use its Set-Up Room to very quickly either cut and paste skeletons and weight maps from other preset characters, or you can quickly make your own (takes about ten minutes for the whole deal)...after setting up your character in Poser you animate just like in the other programs, but when you are done you just save the scene and then open the pz3 (poser scene file) or the cr2 (poser character file) directly in layout using a new set of affordable plugs called "cr2 loader" and "cr2 rigger" - these plugs will allow you to use your animations from poser, but they also bring along the skeleton and the weight maps so you can finish off tweaking in Layout.........so with all that said, I still prefer just using Lightwave...hopefully version 8 will bring in the few missing important character tools and we can all stop spending our ice cream money on extra stuff we don't really want or need......so thanks for enduring my ramble if you did......wishing everyone the best...from the void...j.p.rapscallion...

hrgiger
06-19-2003, 07:17 AM
I would wait to see what Lightwave 8 has in store for us before you invest in another program. You may find you don't need it.

TyVole
06-19-2003, 09:17 AM
I have MotionBuilder. Currently, there seems to be a problem transfering your scenes back and forth between MB and LW. You can import your LW scene into MB without any problem, do some animation and return it back to LW -- again, without problem. But at this point, you cannot edit your models and merge them back into the existing MB scene. This basically means you cannot start animating until your meshes, bones, and endomorphs are a %100 complete.

Until this is resolved, you may be better off waiting until LW8 or using Messiah, which I guess has decent LW integration.

jimnokc
06-27-2003, 11:02 AM
I gotta agree on the Poser thing. It's perfect for this kind of work. For now I'm going to consent myself with Kaydara, which I only bought because they had a free 1-yr license to it.

Poer coupled with Greenbriar Studio's plug-ins give you a cheaper and more robust soution, not to mention all the extras you get with Poser. Poser and LW go hand in hand, I hav no clue why they're forming partnership with the near "toy" class of 3d apps.

There are hints of being able to eventually support BVH from Mimic. This will really improve lightwave. And for those of you amibitious enough to create your own character, Poser will defnitely get you started.

I want ReelMotion. I don't want to pay the asking price for it (nor will I pirate software). Right now, I"ll learn to get along without it.

daveythegravy
08-08-2003, 03:43 PM
Hi there,

I've been learning Motion Builder too, & I might add that you don't need to take animation imported back into Layout, back into MB in order to tweek it.

You just go back to the animation that you did in MB, tweak it and then export back to Lightwave. Simple.

Personaly, I feel that MBs integrated motion blending is light years ahead of Lightwaves Motion Mixer.

The problem with lightwave is intergration. There are bits and bobs(plugins) hangin around in Lightwave that don't talk the same language as other parts. Must be due to different programers.

Well thats my two cents

daveythegravy