PDA

View Full Version : LW Demo Request.

GandB
10-20-2006, 08:26 AM
Hey guys; I don't mean to drag this up again, but I have a member of our forums asking about a demo for Lightwave. He's currently a C4D user (has Hex 2 also), and is in game development. He's already started using XSI's demo, but likes the Lightwave DTS converter for the Torque engine.

I thought there used to be a demo request "clicky" on the front page? Short of me sending him my demo copy (he lives in the UK, and I live in the States), is there a way we can get him one?

-Keith

Kurtis
10-20-2006, 08:37 AM
The LightWave v9 Trial Edition is already available to anyone that owns an earlier edition of LightWave, but we're still putting together training content so it's not up yet for the general public. In the meantime, he can call Sales at 800-847-6111 and ask for a LightWave [8] demo CD. No charge for the call, CD or shipping.

GandB
10-20-2006, 08:43 AM
Thanks Kurtis; I'll pass along your messege. He can get a Side-grade as a C4D user, right?

Nevermind; I found the info on the companion upgrades (I don't think he qualifies, as he doesn't have the XL package of C4D). I sent him the info you gave. Thanks again.

Kurtis
10-20-2006, 08:48 AM
Yep.

Kurtis
10-20-2006, 08:59 AM
Don't worry about it. That was a mistake on the page, which we'll get corrected. Both versions of C4D qualify for the Companion Upgrade.

GandB
10-20-2006, 09:01 AM
Ah, I'll pass that along too.:)

pauland
10-24-2006, 11:06 AM
we're still putting together training content so it's not up yet for the general public. In the meantime, he can call Sales at 800-847-6111 and ask for a LightWave [8] demo CD. No charge for the call, CD or shipping.

There was a big debate over seven months ago about this very subject, together with a discussion about how hard it was to find information about any demo. Chuck at least sorted out a reasonably prominent link on the Newtek home page. Today, it's like a dream about something that never happened.

Is nobody at Newtek actually responsible for getting this done? When will Newtek take on board that attracting new users is remotely important?

I'm waiting for Newtek to appear in a business marketing book for all the wrong reasons.

Paul

T-Light
10-24-2006, 11:58 AM
Kurtis -

In the meantime, he can call Sales at 800-847-6111 and ask for a LightWave [8] demo CD. No charge for the call
Yes there is, US 800 numbers don't work for us in the UK, Not that calls to the US are that expensive, just thought I'd mention it.

GandB
10-24-2006, 12:25 PM
Yep, he said the same thing, T-Light. He e-mailed NewTek Europe over the weekend, but still hasn't had a response as of today. Hopefully they get ahold of him pretty soon. I recruited another one of our members over to Lightwave the other day; if this member decides to go for Lightwave, I'm thinking about opening up a Lightwave/game-development board, in the "invitation only" section over at Ozark Games. That'd be great to have several of us with a Lightwave pipeline going.

-Keith

-Keith

Phil
10-24-2006, 01:12 PM
The LightWave v9 Trial Edition is already available to anyone that owns an earlier edition of LightWave, but we're still putting together training content so it's not up yet for the general public. In the meantime, he can call Sales at 800-847-6111 and ask for a LightWave [8] demo CD. No charge for the call, CD or shipping.

Not to be a total pain in the backside, but just how much training material is being put together for a 30 day demo version? I'm absolutely stunned that 3.5 months after 9.0 went gold, the demo is still kicking its heels waiting for content. With no ETA, no publically available binary, etc.

It might have been a lot simpler and effective to just buy some content from Kurv and make that available. A subset of the vehicle modelling tutorial, for example.

GandB
11-09-2006, 09:12 PM
Don't mean to drag this one back up; but I just wanted to let Kurtis know that the afore mentioned member will be getting Lightwave as soon as he can. He's quite pleased with the demo he recieved; and that Lightwave has a .DTS converter for the Torque game engine.

That is now 2 of our members that I have steered towards Lightwave; I have now repaid the kindness that NewTek has shown me.:)

The next convert will be "on the house".:D

Feel free to lock this one up if you want.:thumbsup:

-Keith

iconoclasty
11-09-2006, 09:42 PM
Glad to hear. Just goes to show the power of the demo.

GandB
11-10-2006, 06:10 AM
Glad to hear. Just goes to show the power of the demo.
It sure does; just wait until they release the V9 demo for download from the site. NewTek should see a significant increase in sales.:)

-Keith