PDA

View Full Version : First suggestion for the community

finearts2
02-07-2003, 11:31 PM
Well, I figure with how modern and sleek the new forum is, I thought I'd suggest something to kick it off in fine style.

As we all have seen, there are so many wonderful ways to get help and guidance for us users (from newbies to expert) and both free and pay for such info. I know people like SplineGod, Lost Pencil, etc.. offer great products (and if and when I can afford them, you bet they have a customer with me) and the classroom idea isn't new, BUT I thought it would be great if there could be perhaps one more entry for the TOC. Could there be a project, monthly perhaps, that would be a step by step as like a school where anyone and everyone can work on ( I don't mean a group project together but a "here is a assignment - model this figure in 10 steps, here is the first steps ). As the project steps are offered, those of use who are still in the early stages of learning will be able to talk to those who have used Lightwave longer and being at the same point in the assignment will be able to better explain where we are having trouble or want to understand the tools used more indepth. I am sure those who've used Lightwave more might be able to offer their way on how they do a step that is different that what is offered and again, everyone would be at the same point in the project to see what else to try out.

Sorry this is so long but I thought I would do my part to be a contributing Lightwave community user by offering up the idea.

Finearts

PS being so new still to Lightwave, is there and secret handshake I should learn LOL:)

wgreenlee1
02-07-2003, 11:40 PM
I like this idea and just like the other forum I think those massive "free" tutorials will find a welcome home here.
I myself dont ever plan to spend the hundreds of dollars on "Class in a DVD" and find the community to be very helpful and informative for learning Lightwave.
Those DVD classes are fine I guess but you can find the same stuff here on the net if you look around and more and more you are finding video tuorials for those who need to see it done.

Willax
02-08-2003, 12:17 AM
There was a thread on CGforums a week or two ago where someone posted some pictures of an old pistol and challenged people to model and texture it. I think that was a good idea and might be applicable to what you are talking about. I'm pretty much a newbie in LW (only about 5 months) and have absolutely no artistic background, but I tried modeling that pistol and it was a lot of fun. I learned a lot trying it, and although my finished product was not the same quality as the pros, I did noticed my modeling skills improved from that and also encouraged me to keep plugging away.

Memz
02-08-2003, 12:37 AM
This sound slike a good idea. I will be watching this thread to see if anythign comes out of this. Make it happen yall!! ;)

Aquaman
02-08-2003, 07:04 AM
I'm in the same boat as Willax. I too have been using Lightwave for about 5 months. All the tutorials and challenges that are available help immensly trying to learn Lightwave. Even when your final result doesn't always come out looking like the original you start to learn what to look for when modeling, setting up textures, etc. and you learn what obstacles you need to overcome to become better.

lone
02-09-2003, 09:52 AM
stellar idea. how about introductory and intermediate levels?

bobakabob
02-10-2003, 05:05 PM
Brilliant idea... the best way to learn is by sharing ideas. :)

Skonk
02-10-2003, 05:43 PM
Giving ppl something to work towards is a great way to teach, too many ppl (like me) start things but cos theres no real goal they dont get finnished, a monthly project or something would be a great way to get ppl going.

James..

finearts2
02-11-2003, 12:26 AM
So far so good with the responses:D

Now, as the voting stays in the good idea area, perhaps some of our wise sages of Lightwave (you know who you are) could offer a idea on a project you think might benefit us to learn from (or even better, begin a step by step tutorial for us?) If there is any artwork needed, please let me know, I can come up with anything you need.

Pleease read and vote who haven't so far. I think this would be of great help and a great way for the community to become even closer so let the mods know we need and want this!

I thank you

Finearts:)