PDA

View Full Version : Inside LW 9

adrian
10-19-2006, 06:11 AM
I pre-ordered my copy of Dan Ablan's latest book. Unfortunately no details on Amazon as to what projects are in the book but if his previous efforts are anything to go by, it's going to be awesome!

Pity I have to wait until January next year to receive it :thumbsdow

Signal to Noise
10-19-2006, 07:42 AM
Perhaps Dan will pop in and fill us in on details about the book. I will be scooping this one up as well. Hopefully it will be released before LW 10 comes out. ;)

Gaze
10-19-2006, 09:05 AM
I pre-ordered a month ago. Amazon email states estimated shipping on Nov. 21st. Hmmm...now it's January? D'oh!

zapper1998
10-19-2006, 09:07 AM
Me waiting to, it will be a great book...can't wait to get it...

T-Light
10-19-2006, 09:13 AM
Why the delay, is the book including updated sections on 9.x?x I wonder.

WilliamVaughan
10-19-2006, 09:31 AM
I'm looking forward to the book.

Silkrooster
10-19-2006, 06:50 PM
I also will be looking forward to it.
Silk

animotion
10-19-2006, 07:05 PM
Who needs books! I can get the same information by reading palms.:D

CoryC
10-19-2006, 08:01 PM
Dan is just about finished writing ILW9. I don't believe there is anything in it beyond the current version (LW9.0).

dablan
10-19-2006, 08:19 PM
Hi guys -
thanks for the interest.
Working on the book, and should be done in about two weeks. Then we edit, and off it goes to print. A bit smaller this time - about 700 pages vs. 900. Taking out a few things to make room for some cool node coverage. Here's the current table of contents to hold you over:

Introduction xxv
1 LightWave v9 Modeler x
2 LightWave v9 Layout xx
3 Understanding Basic Textures xx
4 Lighting xx
5 3D Cameras xxx
6 Principles in Motion xxx
7 Text and Logo Creation xxx
8 Modeling Still Life Objects xxx
9 Gadget Modeling xxx
10 Character Modeling xxx
11 Node Based Texturing xxx
12 Bones and Rigging xxx
13 Particles in Motion xxx
14 Dynamics of Animation xxx
15 Rendering Processes xxx
16 Compositing and Post Processing Techniques xxx
A Learning Resources and Web Links xxx
B What’s on the DVD xxx
Index xxx

GandB
10-19-2006, 09:18 PM
I'll be getting this as well (still plugging away at the LW9 Courseware:)). I assume there'll be a small group of textures for us to use in our projects, included?

-Keith

colkai
10-20-2006, 03:28 AM
Hmmm, an "Inside" book by Dan?
Should I buy it? Duhhh.... :p ;)

Well, t'would be churlish not to seeing as I have every other "Inside" book Dan has done. :)

tonybliss
10-20-2006, 06:29 AM
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!
NEVER :(

GandB
10-20-2006, 06:32 AM
And this is also the last Inside LightWave book, right?
That's what I heard.

Signal to Noise
10-20-2006, 07:14 AM
Yes, the next series will be Outside LightWave. ;)

DogBoy
10-20-2006, 07:15 AM
That's what I heard.

Oh, I know Dan SAID this will be his last one, but my posse o' pipe-packing riggers say differen' ;)

Don' make me send 'em over to Chicago, Dan :D

Dan "the gimp" Barker

SCS5
10-20-2006, 08:37 AM
Last........Yup, it's true.........I too have all of Dan's books, and he will be sorely missed..........Hint, Hint...........Newtek??...........How about a manual that actually covers ALL the features .................INCLUDING PLUGINS YOU PROVIDE??.........SDK??........Relativity??....... .LScript??......IKBooster??....Etc., Etc., Etc., ...............NEWTEK??

dablan
10-20-2006, 08:41 AM
It has nothing to do with LW or NewTek or anything. LW is better than ever. I'm just pushing 40 and have been doing books for the last 10 years. Inside LW9 will be my 11th book, and I'm just burnt.

I'm not planning on doing any more, but who knows, maybe when LW10 rolls around someday? I don't know. Right now, let's just say my book career is on hiatus. :)

GandB
10-20-2006, 08:54 AM
Sounds like you need to take an extended leave of absence, Dan (or a much more enticing book deal:)).

tonybliss
10-20-2006, 12:51 PM
It has nothing to do with LW or NewTek or anything. LW is better than ever. I'm just pushing 40 and have been doing books for the last 10 years. Inside LW9 will be my 11th book, and I'm just burnt.

I'm not planning on doing any more, but who knows, maybe when LW10 rolls around someday? I don't know. Right now, let's just say my book career is on hiatus. :)

The bolded part I like best :boogiedow

adrian
10-20-2006, 01:28 PM
I don't even want to think about LW10 yet.... let me learn LW9 first!!!!

Signal to Noise
10-20-2006, 09:07 PM
No worries. Even if and/or when LW10 is announced it'll mean at least another year+ before it actually ships. Just like LW9...;)

tonybliss
10-21-2006, 02:16 AM
Bite your tongue :b

newsvixen8
10-22-2006, 05:33 PM
Honored Mr. Ablan.... I am confident that once you clear that obnoxious "40" hurdle, it is very possible you will find your second wind, and amaze us all with new wonders. :bowdown:
Burned out?... maybe for now....but just wait, it gets better!

sacsack
10-22-2006, 05:57 PM
Well I better get it, I spend 7 hours today trying to textured a cube and I still have no texture on the cube. Hi GandB
renny

Signal to Noise
10-22-2006, 09:24 PM
Try texturing a sphere first.

Cubes are for the advanced users.

;)

GandB
10-23-2006, 10:54 AM
Hey Renny, glad you're here.

Renny just made the wise decision to purchase Lightwave for game-development.

-Keith

GregMalick
10-23-2006, 11:26 AM
Yes, the next series will be Outside LightWave. ;)

I think that is Dan's Modo book. 8/

Dragon Lee
10-25-2006, 02:44 PM
Is Amazon (with its 35% (?) discount the best option to get the book?

I am wondering because I am reluctant to buy through Amazon, due to customs-agents enjoying picking out Amazon shipments and sticking big import levies on them :(

Used to order LW books through a local bookstore, but that comes down to full-price as well, so if there's a discount option somewhere that I am not aware of, I'd like to get in on the loop :)

tribbles
10-25-2006, 02:49 PM
I saw it on Amazon (co.uk) for the first time today (I'd seen Dan's comments earlier on in the year, so I knew it was coming).
Click on larger image to view cover... produces exactly the same image with a very large border around it.

dablan
10-25-2006, 02:56 PM
Well, it's a $60 book. Amazon has it listed for $37 right now. It's about 700 pages. Free images on the DVD. Bonus tutorial videos on the DVD. While I have no control over price what-so-ever, I think it's a pretty darn good deal.

Nicolas Jordan
10-25-2006, 04:22 PM
If its anything like the previous Inside Lightwave books it's well worth the purchase even at $60. :thumbsup:

dablan
10-25-2006, 04:39 PM
Cool - thanks a lot.
My editor this time around is a new LightWave user himself, and what that means is - he's asking a lot more questions. I'm going through old text as I write the new book, adding more detail in some areas, and removing some in others.

GandB
10-25-2006, 05:40 PM
How many projects are in this one, and of what type (modeling, animation, etc.)? Is $37 some kind of sale at Amazon or something? Bet you're glad to have this finally finished, huh Dan?

-Keith

Gaze
11-22-2006, 11:07 PM
:foreheads
Amazon email says: No Inside LW9 'til Feb. '07

quite a wait beyond the first delivery estimates of March '06.

From now on I'll just add a year (or two) to any initial target dates I come across in this industry. Not whining...just my new rule of thumb for planning purposes :thumbsup:

tyrot
11-23-2006, 02:02 AM
dear lwers

actually this time i feel different about inside LW9 book. Dan, as your devoted follower since your first release i think i can write about some stuff bugs me a bit.

1- LW9 is just a first step of the 9x cycle. As you see in the forums LW 9.2 (and probably other updates as well) changing inside of the LW core simply amazing. Many tools are being refined, altered even developed from scracth. In this term I think LW 9 book is a bit early attempt. If Dan writes dozens of new pages at the end of the cycle it will be making more sense because LW 9 is not a concrete release, it is the first step of an evolutinary changes.

2- Dan, personally i dont enjoy reading your "may be LW 10, May be this is last book, may be if people Use LW 10 "

It sounds awfully commercial. Of course you are in this business for making money as well but lately i feel more commercial taste in this soup lately. Nothing wrong with it but i rather choose to support Dave jerrard, Robin Wood, Warner type of LWing books..The fellow members of this community who gives not only KNOWLEDGE support but also emotional support as well. Somehow many of 3d users badly overlooking the emotional Side of 3d application. It does exists. If an author writes LW can do it, I am gonna show you and inspire you how to do it. It gets emotional. Because it gives me power of trying new things, new workflows. If i read "nope you cant do that here.."

and not 3d application, but the way of seeing your 3d application makes all the difference. And that directly relates with the state of mind. And only Books can change that State of Mind or words which make sense. Therefore the users, the teachers who inspires the community even in darkest times deserve wholeheartly support...(Dave Jerrard, Warner, SplineGod, Proton, Wood...)

3- Actually i ll be more pissed if there will be another "may be another book for LW 10" from Leigh WonderBilly..But this is out of context..

And come on Dan, you know you are responsible that fanboyism of ours too. In your books, you created some sort of LW wonders effect upon us. I know some of my friends learned english just for Reading your books so when they write they write as you write..You shaped not only our LW skills but Lwer thinking style.

After your MODO book (which is totally ok) and after all sorts of turbulence between communities, i just cant keep myself thinking...the followings..

do you think, you still have that mysterious power on LW community? Do you think we were happy to know "this was the last inside book"? Or do you really think we are gonna be happy to read that our teaching master will consider another book for LW10 if new team pulls off (SURE THEY WILL!)?

It sounded to me just like that:
Dan realized LW is gonna Die. He started with MODO. Then He made his last book as a gift to LW community. "The awful point here is he MENTIONED this is the LAST BOOK for LW when he released his First Book on Modo". I can't be wrong but that also means, "This is the End of LW and beginning of Modo." Now because LW is under historical changes and development simply expanding our expectation horizons, He is warming another book.

If you prove that i am totally speculative about this vision i ll be more happy than any LWer here..

And other LWers please do not attack me, i even got dozens of books of DAN and spread around like a bible for years. So i did my part.

BEST

DiedonD
11-23-2006, 03:07 AM
..... Riiiiiiiigggghhhhttttt......... Quite some analysis above there Tyrot. Its warming up the issue. Lets see where this goes.

Dan, all this concerns the book though.... Right? You will still produce LW video tutorials that sound like you are more liberated to put whatever you want artistically, with no editors and seemingly faster to make than a book?

I dont like books for LW, more interested in video's.