PDA

View Full Version : City Building

eomer
10-18-2006, 11:32 AM
I fould a blueprint of a building and make it 3D, took a few days to make. Three lights used, 2 Area and 1 Point. Comments welcome.:)

serge
10-19-2006, 08:18 AM
Although it seems like clean and decent modeling, this picture is quite dull.

1. Dull uniform lighting. Try brighter light coming from one direction, and darker shadows.
2. Dull greyish textures. Maybe a little more colour variation in the bricks and stones; or maybe some durt. The windows are pretty good though.
3. Dull composition. You show a small part of a big building, and I don't know why. There's no focus point.

Good luck!

liquidpope
10-19-2006, 12:14 PM
I totally agree about the lighting being flat.
I do like the colors and the slight desaturation though. Very nice.
You should show more of the building, maybe a different angle as well.
Overall, good work. Clean, and well modeled.

eomer
10-19-2006, 12:41 PM
Here is another view of the building at night. This should show a different perspective:

liquidpope
10-19-2006, 12:50 PM
Yeah, that's far better. Very nice.

Dave Jerrard
10-19-2006, 05:12 PM
I'd change the lighting falloff to inverse squared. Right now, the lighting is still too even, flattening out the image. If you're using any ambient light, turn it down, if not off entirely. You might even want to consider using radiosity to fill in for the ambient lighting. One bounce should be all that's needed. Also, use an area light instead of a point light. Those globes are pretty large and wouldn't cast such sharp shadows on the wall. Right now, the best lighing effects happen immediately near the forground light, on the wall beside the doorway, though the sharp round shadow is hurting this area as well.

He Who Rarely Ever Uses Ambient Light In Anything.

SP00
10-23-2006, 09:37 AM
Hi everyone, I heard that they change the way ambient light works with radiosity. So you get a different effect with radiosity turned on than with it off. I think ambient light now strengthens the effect of radiosity in dark areas. Not sure if this works in practice.