PDA

View Full Version : Windows Virus heads-up for iPod Video owners.

Bog
10-17-2006, 05:04 PM
iPod Video Ships with Windows Virus (http://www.apple.com/support/windowsvirus/)

You know, a lot of companies fire people when they ship viruses out by accident. I like it where the press release says:

As you might imagine, we are upset at Windows for not being more hardy against such viruses,

That's... that's a comfort. Thank you, you turtleneck-wearing twonk.

Anyway, it seems to be a new thing, and I thought it was worth bringing up here, as animators and mobile media playback devices seem to kinda go together.

iconoclasty
10-17-2006, 07:20 PM
Let me get this right. Apple used PCs in their programming of the IPOD, didn't properly virus protect it, got a virus, then got mad at the PCs because of it? I'm pretty sure the nerdy kid on TV told me that Macs couldn't get viruses. Isn't the Ipod a mac?

Weepul
10-17-2006, 09:19 PM
I can't believe it actually says that. That's unnecessary.

Macs (or iPods, or any device capable of storage) can house and (manually) transmit PC viruses. They're just data.

Red_Oddity
10-18-2006, 02:53 AM
Wow, and they make it even worse by pointing people to the most intrusive, bloated, cpu cycle hogging pieces of crap virus scanners on the market (Symantec and Norton).

TomT
10-18-2006, 10:20 AM
. . . Smug tossers at Apple . . . you turtleneck-wearing twonk.

Very grown up. At least address Greg Joswiak by name instead of schoolyard name calling.

-T

Andyjaggy
10-18-2006, 10:48 AM
Greg who? Oh is that the guy who plays the mac boy on the ads? Hmmm let's see B-rate actor or New York Times writer. Now who is better.....

-ducks for cover-

Actually I love macs, I just can't stand mac boys who think that everything Apple does is flawless.

MiniFireDragon
10-18-2006, 11:03 AM
Interesting. Sounds more like a marketing ploy we can make look like an accident to bolster mac sales.

TomT
10-18-2006, 11:06 AM
Greg who?

Apple's vice president of Worldwide iPod Marketing, whom Bog was quoting.

I just can't stand mac boys who think that everything Apple does is flawless.
Tolerance is a gift. Perhaps you should try to focus on what is said rather than categorizing people as "mac boys."

TomT
10-18-2006, 11:08 AM
Interesting. Sounds more like a marketing ploy we can make look like an accident to bolster mac sales.
It's a pretty dumb marketing ploy--a lot of revenue for Apple is from the iPod group, and this is definitely going to chill sales for them in the face of new rivals.

CMT
10-18-2006, 11:18 AM
iPod Video Ships with Windows Virus (http://www.apple.com/support/windowsvirus/)

You know, a lot of companies fire people when they ship viruses out by accident. I like it where the press release says:

You forgot the rest of it...
"As you might imagine, we are upset at Windows for not being more hardy against such viruses, and even more upset with ourselves for not catching it."

I'm sure someone did get the boot in this case. I'm a Mac guy myself and can't believe they would blame PCs for their mistake.

Isn't the Ipod a mac?

Hard to answer. I found out that a company called Pixo came up with the OS and interface for the ipod. But don't know if it's OSX based or not. It had to work with both Mac and OSX.

Bog
10-18-2006, 11:40 AM
Very grown up. At least address Greg Joswiak by name instead of schoolyard name calling.

-T

*eyebrow*

Sorry, didn't mean to touch any nerves. I wasnt particularly aware of the existance of any Greg Joswiak at the time of writing. I was more being a bit miffed by the eternal smugness of Mac advertising et al. Kind of amusing that they ran a line of ads showing someone who looks nerdier than my accountant as "A PC" with a virus, and then go and sell hardware with, erm, a virus on it.

The implication in their press release that this is somehow Windows' fault frankly makes me more than a bit angry - especially as both Apple and Microsoft will continue to make bulgingly huge amounts of money while it's the end users who get to deal with the problem.

Anyway, I've obviously caught a nerve there unintentionally. Is he a relative or something?

CMT
10-18-2006, 11:48 AM
Apple loves to talk smack about others, and this is one of the main reasons I dislike that company so much. They sell subpar crap and hype it with easily digestable marketing to the blubbering masses.

Take that all you turtleneck-wearing twonks at Apple. :D

I suddenly feel just like a blubbering mass.....

I really hope this doesn't turn into the classic pc vs mac pointless debate.

Bog
10-18-2006, 11:54 AM
I'd really rather it didn't as well, CMT. Viruses are a serious issue, and whilst I let my intense irritation show a bit in my initial post, I don't want this to turn into a slanging match. Once again, it'd be the end users who suffer for that, rather than any valid points being made.

lilrayray77
10-18-2006, 01:13 PM
See it's things like this that make linux really worth the trouble...

(BTW, is it possible the iPOD's OS is *NIX?)

Andyjaggy
10-18-2006, 01:30 PM
Apple's vice president of Worldwide iPod Marketing, whom Bog was quoting.

Tolerance is a gift. Perhaps you should try to focus on what is said rather than categorizing people as "mac boys."

Actually I meant to type mac fanboys, and thanks for proving my point. I can't stand mac fanboys who get offended and go crazy anytime someone insults a mac product. Believe it or not 99% of people probably don't have a clue who the president of Apples ipod marketing is. Anyway I am getting out of here before this gets too ugly.

Tzan
10-18-2006, 01:36 PM
I suddenly feel just like a blubbering mass.....

I really hope this doesn't turn into the classic pc vs mac pointless debate.

I've heard that God uses a Mac while eating pasta and bacon :devil:

CMT
10-18-2006, 02:09 PM
I've heard that God uses a Mac while eating pasta and bacon :devil:

Haha!

Reminds me of a joke I heard the other day from another Mac dude. He revised it from the football version of the joke.

Bill Gates dies and goes to heaven...(if you can buy that)... and he is greeted by God. God gives him a decked out PC with wireless everything and packed with games wrapped in a bow with Microsoft printed on it.

Bill says "Wow! Thanks!" but then looks over to see a network of 100 Macs strung together running Lightwave, ZBrush and Photoshop on a 60'' HDTV monitor.

Bill glumly says "Is that for Steve Jobs?"

God returns "No that's mine."

TomT
10-18-2006, 02:37 PM
*eyebrow*

Greg Joswiak

Anyway, I've obviously caught a nerve there unintentionally. Is he a relative or something?

Not a relative, but I've met him. I just felt the derrogatory language ad homien was a little over the top. The press release sucked, no doubt about it. I just think you posted it to start what you have, an Apple-MS little flame war. This has next to nothing to do with NT or 3D. Fortunately, I think there are so few Apple guys left around Lightwave, that you're not going to have anybody to rush up and defened Apple.

What I really get a laugh at is the hypocracy of the Forum moderation around here. You can call an Apple guy a smeg-head or twonk or dip or whatever and all is good and others will pile on. (Hello again, neverko.)

If, on the other hand you post scientificly gathered data showing how far LW Modeller is behind other programs on the Apple, and catch a NT representive backpedlling on their own words . . . then you're making a "personal attack".

I point this up to be instructive, but when you take someones words and then attack their person, that is, by definition, a personal attack--something which is (allegedly) forbidden on this Forum under pain of excommunication and IP blocking. (I have direct knowledge of two different cases where this has happened.)

But you're safe--all your postings have pro-pro-NT and LW so I'm pretty sure I'll be the one to get the boot for bringing up the "Forbidden" topic of Forum moderation.

-Tom

TomT
10-18-2006, 02:40 PM
thanks for proving my point.

Your welcome, though all I think I proved was your paticular bias that anyone who doesn't agree with you must be a "fanboy". MY POINT was about personal attacks (which Bog opens with), inconsistent forum moderation, and intolerence.

Thank you for helping me with the "intolerence" part. :)

-Tom

Bog
10-18-2006, 02:41 PM
I just think you posted it to start what you have, an Apple-MS little flame war. Please read my previous posts. I honestly did not. I bring it up because viruses are a serious issue, and because fighting them and preventing the spread of them is not a joke.

Was I flippant? Yes. It's because I was bloody angry about the press release. Was it mature of me? No. It wasn't. I've admitted that.

Do I want a Mac vs. PC flamewar?

No, I want my bloody 3.4GHz octuple-core Amiga and for both Apple and PCs to die horribly.

I don't think I can be any clearer.

TomT
10-18-2006, 02:50 PM
Please read my previous posts.

Challenge accepted. I've searched for all the threads started by the user "Bog" in this Forum. I'm not finding a lot virus-fighting threads (e.g. I didn't see one) that would indicate that Virus fighting by posting on the NT forum was a passion of yours.

Can you point me to your other Virus alerts? (There have been several new viruses released in the last few months, but the only warning I can find is the Apple one you announced today.)

Methinks you might be rationalizing just a tad. *shrug* Anyhow, I'm sure to check here first for all my Virus news. ;)

-T

Bog
10-18-2006, 02:53 PM
Tom, I meant my later comments on the last page. I'm really not looking for a PC Vs. Mac war.

Are you? If so, can you take it to another thread, please?

CMT
10-18-2006, 03:13 PM
Challenge accepted. I've searched for all the threads started by the user "Bog" in this Forum.

What's with the extra effort to try to prove someone is flaming?

It's not clear to me it was flaming material and I love Macs and my ipod. They made a mistake and he called it out. Maybe calling the guy a turtleneck-wearing twonk was a bit immature..... but I laughed (I'm immature too I guess).... and agreed that it was rediculous to blame PCs in the slightest.

When someone makes a stupid statement like that, they deserve the name....

art
10-18-2006, 03:28 PM
I wasnt particularly aware of the existance of any Greg Joswiak at the time of writing.

To be honest I did not know who Greg Joswiak was either until I stumbled on this thread. I've read about this ipod virus on a different website earlier today and it caught my attention too. I though it was at least a bit unusual.
Btw. is "iPod" already a synonym for an "mp3 player"?

TomT
10-18-2006, 03:29 PM
I only responded first the childish name calling. Bog then claimed a "higher purpose" of instructing us Virus threats and said that he wasn't looking for a PC/Mac fight. *He* challenged me to read his other posts, so I looked for the higher purpose claimed and didn't find it.

I think it's a little illogical to assume Bog is a virus-hunter extrodinaire who was merely "informing us" (on a 3D product forum) with a name-calling rant against Apple personnel (who happen to be human beings too). I couldn't find any other rants against any other Viruses or even the virus creators in the last couple months.

Everyone is assuming I'm an Apple defender. I'm just pointing to the unusual lack of civility when Apple is involved on this Forum. All my posts save this one came from a Dell Latitude 600 running XP. (I'm on my MacBook right now.) I spend about an equal amount of time each and every week on both platforms.

What I'm pointing out is how this Forum is moderated. If you are a Newtek user who relentless goes after anyone disastified with NT, you can say, and do, anything you want. If you are not a Newtek fan, you will be verbally attacked and assaulted with every trick in the book. It seems that this forum has declared the Apple user base the enemy, and any shot taken is fair game.

-T

Bog
10-18-2006, 03:37 PM
Oh for goodness sake Tom, you're making a mountain out of a molehill. I was angry about Apple's glib press release and made a snakry comment. You've successfully derailed this thread. I've admitted that I posted with a certain level of anger and apologised for it. I never painted myself as a virus hunter, all I said was that viruses are a serious issue - for those of us who run Windows, anyway - and that I was a bit pissed at the smug tone in the Apple press release.

What the heck do you want?

CMT
10-18-2006, 03:45 PM
It seems that this forum has declared the Apple user base the enemy, and any shot taken is fair game.

Never come across this at all, Tom. You're the first one to bring it up.

Bog
10-18-2006, 03:47 PM
Neither have I. I'm kind of wondering what the heck has happenned. I use a G5 at work as much as I use AMD and Intel CPUs. Feeling a smidge beleagured out of proportion to anything I've typed, to be honest!

TomT
10-18-2006, 03:47 PM
Because if you posted much less about someone at NT, they would have banned you. I want to make sure (along the same lines as your intial rant) that people understand what kind of forum NT runs here.

-T

CMT
10-18-2006, 03:57 PM
Ummm, OK... Thanks.... I'll make a note of it.....I'll make sure to remember that while I'm enjoying the forum as I have since last year.

Bog
10-18-2006, 04:00 PM
No really Tom. I've been called a second-rater who cons his clients on here, and the person who called me that hasn't been banned. *edit* not that I asked. I mean, it's just some idiot calling names, after all. *endedit* I mean, come on. If I have to put up with that crap, then me calling someone who basically tried to pin the blame on Apple shipping a Windows virus a "turtleneck-wearing twonk" is hardly a mortal insult.

TomT
10-18-2006, 04:14 PM
You're entitled to your opinion--I know of two cases to the contrary.

(Remember, I said if you said the same thing about someone at NT--I was given to understand you weren't a NT employee.)

Try calling Chuck or Jay a smeg-head and see where you get. :) Or even point out contradictions between their statements on different months.

In this thread alone, Apple & Apple products have got:
"Smug tossers at Apple"
"turtleneck-wearing twonk"
"Apple... one company I'd like to see take the total dive.
"Their hardware, software and especially their marketing methods are pure crap"
"They sell subpar crap"
"the people [mac users] who enjoy this for whatever twisted reasons"

I don't have to hop around to the few remaining threads from last fall where Mac users were declared "idiots" and Apple products "junk".

Again, anything posted bad about Apple here is OK. Try posting the same about LW/NT (e.g. reverse roles) and see what happens.

Anyhow, I'm through highlighting the purpose and intent of this thread.

-T

Bog
10-18-2006, 04:21 PM
No, I don't work for NewTek, I'm a struggling freelancer. Though to be honest, if anyone in this thread has an agenda it appears to be you. That appears to be your purpose and intent, not mine which was "If you've got yourself a video iPod, please scan the **** thing for viruses before you use it"

No frakkin' idea what your purpose was, apart from slamming anyone who doesn't think that Apple are some kind of hard-done-by underdog who needs to be petted and chivvied. I honestly don't.

Tzan
10-18-2006, 05:00 PM
Anyhow, I'm through highlighting the purpose and intent of this thread.

-T

HOORAY!!!!!!!!!
and there was much rejoicing and feasting upon pasta and bacon

If you want to send a message to a Mod and complain about a thread you could just use the PM system.

Bog
10-18-2006, 05:14 PM
Oh, and a minor point - people have been ripping NewTek a new one for about a year and not gotten banned for it.

Frak's sake. It's just occoured to me. You want me to get muzzled because I pointed out that an Apple press release blamed Windows users for their cock-up?

Are you frakking mental?

JML
10-18-2006, 05:34 PM
Who Cares !!!

Battlefield 2142 Is Out :D

hunter
10-18-2006, 05:43 PM
Oh, and a minor point - people have been ripping NewTek a new one for about a year and not gotten banned for it.

Frak's sake. It's just occoured to me. You want me to get muzzled because I pointed out that an Apple press release blamed Windows users for their cock-up?

Are you frakking mental?

I believe he (TomT) maybe. Sounds like he was banned for calling the forum owners some names or something. Imagine that. Tolerance in all it's glory. He certainly tolerated your first post nicely eh? ;)

TomT
10-18-2006, 07:04 PM
I believe he (TomT) maybe. Sounds like he was banned for calling the forum owners some names or something.

Wrong on both counts, but nice personal attack.
-T

Andyjaggy
10-18-2006, 09:14 PM
I sure have noticed a lot of references to bacon and pasta on these forums lately. What's up with that? After Spaghetti carbonara came up the other day on here I started craving it and made myself some that night. Oh so good.

RonGC
10-18-2006, 11:44 PM
The complete article. Please read to get the straight facts.

>The company said that a small number of video iPods made after Sept. 12 included the RavMonE virus. It said it has seen fewer than 25 reports of the problem, which it said does not affect other models of the media player, nor does it affect Macs.

The Cupertino, Calif.-based company apologized on its Web site for the problem, but also used the opportunity to jab at Microsoft, its operating system rival.

"As you might imagine, we are upset at Windows for not being more hardy against such viruses, and even more upset with ourselves for not catching it," Apple said on its site.

Apple Vice President Greg Joswiak told CNET News.com that the virus was discovered last week and said the company has been working around the clock since then to discover the root cause of the problem. Joswiak said it was traced to a particular Windows machine in the manufacturing lines of a contract manufacturer that builds the iPods for Apple. The company declined to name the maker.
"It's more important to say we now have processes in place to make sure this won't happen again," Joswiak said. "Very few units actually went through that particular station, fortunately."

The company said that computers using a current antivirus software and with default settings should detect and remove RavMonE, as it is an identified virus. It is urging iPod users without such protection to install antivirus software.

Apple said that the video iPods now being made are virus-free. It introduced the latest generation of iPods last month.

Antivirus company McAfee listed the iPod threat as a low risk, but gave it the rating of "low/profiled," which the company said applies to viruses that "appear to be low risk, but warrant additional monitoring because they have attracted media interest."

Joswiak said the virus does not affect Macs or the iPod itself. As for Windows machines, Joswiak said the virus "does not cause data damage but can lower the security of the computer" and said it should be removed. Apple points to various antivirus firms' Web sites, including McAfee, Microsoft and Symantec, as places consumers can get antivirus software if they don't already have it.

Apple said that there was no intentional placement of the virus on the iPods. "You can rest assured of that," he said.<

The slam it seems was at Microsoft not windows users and the infected Ipods are just a carrier it is unaffected by the worm, like wise it does not afffect Macs.

Not the wisest Choice of words by an Apple spokesperson.

However i think that there are a lot more important things in the world to get upset about.

When you quote something do not take it out of context include the whole story.

Ron

Bog
10-19-2006, 12:57 AM
I apologise for getting angry and calling you mental last night. Sorry about that.

Uncalled for and all that.

colkai
10-19-2006, 03:00 AM
Because if you posted much less about someone at NT, they would have banned you. I want to make sure (along the same lines as your intial rant) that people understand what kind of forum NT runs here.

-T
So now YOU have turned this into a stab at Newtek having defended your particular corner. Get over yourself, really.

Yamba
10-19-2006, 03:29 AM
Tut Tut Bog.

See what a little "selective" use of a quote can start.

If you had linked to the full quote, we could have praised you for alerting us to the VIRUS SCARE, but you just selected the bit you wanted for your purposes and leaped in boots and all.

That to me is just a little mischievous and inflammatory and deserving of some of the responses you received.

Thanks RonCG :thumbsup: for showing how to post a quote correctly, professionally and without personal attacks.

Yamba

TomT
10-19-2006, 08:02 AM
So now YOU have turned this into a stab at Newtek having defended your particular corner. Get over yourself, really.
You defend your friends, I'll defend mine. Since this started out as personal attack on someone I knew, and NT ignored my private moderation request, I spoke up.

Have a nice day. :)

TomT
10-19-2006, 08:11 AM
You went a little too far in your ever vigilant quest and misquoted me.

Cheerfully withdrawn. I misunderstood your use of pronouns and collectives to determine to whom you were referring to.

Are these still yours?

"Apple... one company I'd like to see take the total dive.
"Their hardware, software and especially their marketing methods are pure crap"
"They sell subpar crap"

:)

Can also assume the Webster's definition of "crap"?

TomT
10-19-2006, 08:17 AM
I apologise for getting angry and calling you mental last night. Sorry about that.

I appreciate that, Bog. I'm sorry that my defense of Greg (who was obviously having a bad day too), and my irritation that Forum mods did nothing, upset you so.

-T

iconoclasty
10-19-2006, 08:44 AM
Oh come on TomT. There's nothing for the Mods to do here. Nobody's said anything worth discipline. All of these "personal attacks" you keep referencing seem to be aimed at companies and products. That's not exactly "personal". I know Greg's name was brought up but it's not like someone said he beats his children. Calm down. The mods can't shut down every thread that gives a negative product review.

TomT
10-19-2006, 10:20 AM
Oh come on TomT. There's nothing for the Mods to do here. Nobody's said anything worth discipline. All of these "personal attacks" you keep referencing seem to be aimed at companies and products.

Ah, to refer to Greg (who is quoted in the first post) as a masturbater (the slang meaning of the word "tosser" in this context) and to refer to me as mentally disturbed (the meaning of the word "mental") is OK on this forum?

The *least* offensive meaning of the word twonk is "idiot" and goes downhill from there. It is primarily intended as insult.

Funny, I thought those were fighting words . . .

Have a nice day. :)
-T

iconoclasty
10-19-2006, 10:40 AM
Sorry I didn't know the meaning of Tosser, still, I'm going to have to disagree.
The message that Bog quoted is not signed by Greg. You were the first one to bring him up. The message looks to have come from Apple itself (hence the ussage of the word We, not I) Bog's comments appeared to be aimed at the generic Apple company, sighting generic Apple stereotypes. Funny? Yes. Personal? No. Bog didn't do anything wrong. Sorry.
And have a nice day.

TomT
10-19-2006, 10:56 AM
Sorry I didn't know the meaning of Tosser, still, I'm going to have to disagree.
The message that Bog quoted is not signed by Greg. You were the first one to bring him up. The message looks to have come from Apple itself (hence the ussage of the work WE, not I) Bog's comments appeared to be aimed at the generic Apple company, sighting generic Apple stereotypes. Funny? Yes. Personal? No. Bog didn't do anything wrong. Sorry.
And have a nice day.

So if I were to quote you with some derrogtatory sexual insult but not mention your name, you'd be OK with that?

Facinating.

Here's the article I read on an iPod news site:
http://playlistmag.com/news/2006/10/17/virus/index.php

And if you look at the last paragraph, Greg (by his last name, Joswiak) is directly attributed to the quote Bog laid out.

If by persistant, you guys mean I don't walk away from a fight, you're right. Digital justice? Hardly. Common decency, maybe.

Since Forum mods here got on soapbox to not one, but two of my colleagues about personal attacks and insults not be allowed here, I'm more than happy to point up their outright hypocrisy. Maybe they'll come after me next and edit my posts.

-T

Bog
10-19-2006, 11:00 AM
Bog's comments appeared to be aimed at the generic Apple company, sighting generic Apple stereotypes. Funny? Yes. Personal? No.

Well, I'm glad someone saw that. As for "Tosser"? Yeah, it a referent to self-pleasuring, but it's considered a very mild curse, definately usably before the Watershed.

No, I wasn't specifically talking about the person who wrote the press release - as stated, I wasn't even aware of his existence. The Generic, Stereotypical Mac Turtleneck was what I was grumbling about, and to be honest given the daft comment in the press release I stand by that.

Anyway. As this has gone from being a heads-up to some kind of... other thing... not entirely sure what... I think I'll just leave it at that. I seem to be being used as a figurehead for TomT's commentary on moderation policies on this forum, which is a bit creepy as you've obviously got an axe to grind, and to be honest I don't really want to be a part of that.

CMT
10-19-2006, 11:03 AM
The only people that should have been offended by Bog's remarks were the people it was aimed at. And that would probably be the turtlenec....ummm, the dude who wrote that release and whoever approved it.

I hope this doesn't become habit where someone from out of the blue will come to the aid of someone who doesn't really need it (who may actually deserve a bit of thrashing for making stupid remarks) and defend them with their dying breath in the name of "forum justice". It's really silly and wastes too much time when there's more interesting things to discuss here.

iconoclasty
10-19-2006, 11:06 AM
So if I were to quote you with some derrogtatory sexual insult but not mention your name, you'd be OK with that?

Here's the article I read on an iPod news site:
http://playlistmag.com/news/2006/10/17/virus/index.php

You can use a derrogatory sexual insult AND mention my name and I won't really care. I certainly won't go running to the forum mods.

That's a nice link you posted where Greg gets mentioned, unfortunately it's not the link Bog posted where there was no mention of anyone besides Apple computers. So, sorry, it has no relevance.

liquidpope
10-19-2006, 11:41 AM
What ever happened to asking and giving LW tips, advice and general goodness like that? I miss the good old days. Seems like only yesterday...
Where did the love go?
Can't we all just get along?

Oh, and just as an aside... who here isn't a tosser, really?

Smcrorey
10-19-2006, 11:57 AM
Less Filling!!!

LORDCHILL
10-25-2006, 09:04 PM
I hate to break the news to everyone here, but to the general population, we're all a bunch of turtleneck wearing, tosser twonks, and in some cases much worse. And, if you are that far up the self aggrandizing daisy chain of nerdality to actually have your self-slicked up little paw in the development of ANYTHING, you are automatically in the "38 years old and never kissed a girl " category, wether it's true or not. Know what i'm saying?

Oh and your right about people on this side of the pond and directly south of here. They like to dish it out, but.....:cry:

scabooba
01-20-2007, 03:01 PM
apple is awesome for being that unapologetic. How often do you see a company bash another that openly? Yes of course I'm a mac user and VERY biased, but let's face it if the zune shipped with viruses for macs(not likely) and microsoft wrote the same thing it'd still be hilarious.

kopperdrake
01-20-2007, 06:56 PM
Apple... one company I'd like to see take the total dive. Their hardware, software and especially their marketing methods are pure crap in my oppinion, an oppinion I love to share :D

It's so indescribeably funny that they've been dumping on Intel for years, even while the pathetic G5 was way behind. Then they switch to Intel :D - And say that it's going to be much better in a Mac than in a "PC". Too bad that their their memory architecture blows compared to similarly spec'd PCs. Apple loves to talk smack about others, and this is one of the main reasons I dislike that company so much. They sell subpar crap and hype it with easily digestable marketing to the blubbering masses. I can only take my hat off to the good marketing people at Apple, they truly know how to sell nicely wrapped crap to people who buy their village idiot talk.

I wouldn't be so hard on Apple, if it wasn't for their marketing approach of trying to dump on everything not Apple.

And this incident just adds fuel to my fire... Maybe if OSX was as widespread and popular as Windows, the virus programmers would actually take notice of it... it's not like OSX is virus safe, like Apple wants to make it look like, it's just that it's too insignificant to spread malicious code for, to the people who enjoy this for whatever twisted reasons.

Take that all you turtleneck-wearing twonks at Apple. :D

Oh Neverko, and there was me thinking you didn't "go trolling every Mac thread with (your) loathing of that platform and it's million shortcomings" ;)

PS This is not a nasty dig, just a joke ;)

Celshader
01-20-2007, 07:32 PM
Hm...I just bought my first iPod last week to keep me company while taking walks. It's an adorable iPod Shuffle G2, perfect for exercise music. I also love the iTunes software so far, since it's well thought-out overall.

I recently considered purchasing an iPod Video so that I could buy videos that won't take up any shelf space in my ever-shinking apartment. After hearing about this virus foul-up, however, I think I'll save my money, stick with NetFlix and wait another year or two. The iPods will only continue to improve, and a few years from now I trust that Apple will have even better quality control.