PDA

View Full Version : would someone Please explaion this file loading error?

eblu
10-17-2006, 12:28 PM
I just lost about 2 hours of modeling work.

its not a very complex object, but I spent a LONG time getting the uv maps exactly the way i wanted them.

and then Lightwave AND modeler refuse to load the object.
I get an error message!!!!

format error 108 for loader $1_LW02

What the HECK is THAT?
Why is my file NOT loading?
WHY did modeler save a file that it CAN"T LOAD?

creativecontrol
10-17-2006, 12:37 PM
Holy cow, that's bad. I've used lightwave since it started and I've never seen that one. You might want to contact tech support directly about that and maybe they can rescue it for you.

Chilton
10-17-2006, 12:49 PM
I just lost about 2 hours of modeling work.

its not a very complex object, but I spent a LONG time getting the uv maps exactly the way i wanted them.

and then Lightwave AND modeler refuse to load the object.
I get an error message!!!!

format error 108 for loader $1_LW02

What the HECK is THAT?
Why is my file NOT loading?
WHY did modeler save a file that it CAN"T LOAD?

Hi Eblu,

Don't trash that file! I'm looking for your answer. Check back in a few minutes.

Thank you,
-Chilton

Chilton
10-17-2006, 12:58 PM
Hi Eblu,

According to my distorted interpretation of the code, I think this *could* be caused by a low memory situation. I'm going to do a bit more research on it though. Obviously, this should not be happening. How large is the file, and is there any way I could get a copy?

I'd like to see what has gone south in the object file, and I'm also curious about whether or not it could be fixed, without you having to redo anything.

Thank you,
-Chilton

harlan
10-17-2006, 01:09 PM
I feel your pain brother. While I've never had that message myself (also been a LW user since day one on the Amiga) I am experiencing a number of objects failing to load in Layout (actually it hard crashes Layout).

Sometimes this failure to load & subsequent crash presents itself when loading an object created in Modo, but it also happens occasionally with objects created in Modeler itself. For instance, a little 30 second modeling job of a Pumpkin (around a 1000 polys) I made a few minutes ago in Modeler will crash Layout every time I attempt loading it on the Mac - works great on the WinPC.

My object load failures/crashes occur on a MacPro & MacBook Pro running LW under Rosetta. Running LW in Windows under Bootcamp on the same systems or on a standard WinPC workstation will load the objects flawlessly. Perhaps it's an issue from running under Rosetta, but LW9 still seems as buggy as ever on the Mac - even though LW9 is hands down the best version of LW ever on the PC.

Oh... I'm not bitching or anything, don't take that the wrong way. I'm just hoping for a Mac LW as stable as the PC LW... bring on the UB. :)

eblu
10-17-2006, 01:44 PM
Hi Eblu,

According to my distorted interpretation of the code, I think this *could* be caused by a low memory situation. I'm going to do a bit more research on it though. Obviously, this should not be happening. How large is the file, and is there any way I could get a copy?

I'd like to see what has gone south in the object file, and I'm also curious about whether or not it could be fixed, without you having to redo anything.

Thank you,
-Chilton

give me an address and I'll send you the object.
its texture map is pretty big, but the file itself is a cube with rounded edges.
its around 284k

Chilton
10-17-2006, 02:32 PM
( [email protected] ) is always good.

-Chilton

eblu
10-17-2006, 03:21 PM
done

Chilton
10-17-2006, 03:40 PM
Eblu,

Thank you! I'm looking into it now. I'll email you when I have an answer, and will post it here as well.

-Chilton

Chilton
10-17-2006, 04:50 PM
Eblu,

After discussing it with others on the LW engineering team, there are a few possible answers.

First, would you mind running Disk Utility and see if it says anything about the health of the disk? This specific problem would normally trigger other problems immediately in modeler. However, a bad sector, or other disk related issue could cause the problem to exist without the app knowing it (while it was working on it at least). That's the first guess, because the file won't open on any PCs or Macs here (or on the other developers' machines).

Secondly, did Modeler crash while writing this file?

Third, did you have iTunes open? I'm kidding. iTunes should not have any effect on LW, despite what has been reported earlier.

Let me know about 1 & 2. This has prompted me to look into putting together a simple test app to check the integrity of files. I might do that soon.

-Chilton

eblu
10-18-2006, 07:45 AM
hi chilton,
the volume in question is an Xraid, and disk utility passed it with flying colors. I'm running the latest drivers etc... ad nauseum.

Modeler not only didn't crash when saving this file, it went on to properly save one other object file.

I have the hub turned off so I had Lightwave up, and modeler in the background. I generated a few objects, saved them to disk and switched to LW. tried loading the objects... this is when I got the error message. I restarted Lightwave, and tried again... no good. then I went and looked at the object which was Still open in modeler... and I made a tactical error. I restarted Modeler, thinking that since it was open now, it would open again. it was very foolish, I know. Then after restarting modeler, I tried to open the model file, and I get the exact same error message I got in Lightwave.

modeler behaved as if it was working just fine, when I quit modeler, it didn't even crash then (a VERY common occurrence, presumably something to do with preference file corruption.) As far as my meager resources and mental powers can take me... the disk is fine, the application behaved in every way it should have, and I wound up with a charcoal briquette for an object file.
My best guess is that there is something akin to a zero divide or an imaginary number in the uv maps. Something which Lightwave knows is impossible, and cannot handle but due to some unforeseen and highly unlikely alignment of the uv tools a user could potentially arrive at any way. why do i think its in the UVs? because the object is Very simple, and I spent a long time making UV maps for this object, mapping and remapping it quite a few times.

Chilton, I tend to come in contact with bizarre, and obscure bugs. I tend to find the little holes in logic loops, and I'm the guy that is standing right there, when the network goes down. I'm never trying to do any of it, I just seem to have a reality distortion field that increases the chances that the most obscure and random events might occur. I wouldn't expect this to be a mundane issue if I were you.
cheers,
-eblu

Chilton
10-18-2006, 08:07 AM
hi chilton,
the volume in question is an Xraid, and disk utility passed it with flying colors. I'm running the latest drivers etc... ad nauseum.

This is interesting, and I'll note that we need to at least test on an Xraid before shipping the UB.

Modeler not only didn't crash when saving this file, it went on to properly save one other object file.

I assumed this was the case (everything else appeared fine), but wanted to make sure.

My best guess is that there is something akin to a zero divide or an imaginary number in the uv maps. Something which Lightwave knows is impossible, and cannot handle but due to some unforeseen and highly unlikely alignment of the uv tools a user could potentially arrive at any way. why do i think its in the UVs? because the object is Very simple, and I spent a long time making UV maps for this object, mapping and remapping it quite a few times.

Chilton, I tend to come in contact with bizarre, and obscure bugs. I tend to find the little holes in logic loops, and I'm the guy that is standing right there, when the network goes down. I'm never trying to do any of it, I just seem to have a reality distortion field that increases the chances that the most obscure and random events might occur. I wouldn't expect this to be a mundane issue if I were you.

In my experience, there are bugs, fixes, and not too much grey area between them. If one user finds a bug somewhere and reports it, it probably happened to ten others who did not report it. Be assured that I don't consider any known bug mundane. Thanks to you, I have a file that won't open. I plan on finding out why. If we can't find the bug that caused it, at the very least I could write an app that fixes broken files until we do.

-Chilton

byte_fx
10-18-2006, 01:05 PM
A couple of things you might still try (left over from similar experiences on non-UV mapped objects under 6.5b and 7.0).

Open the object in a text editor then resave it under different name.

If that doesn't work then open the original again, find the first non-descriptor aplha-numeric character, make note of it then change it and save under a different name.

Open that file, change the alpha-numeric character back to the original and resave then try to open.

This recovered a couple of simple object files and one monster inder LW PC.

Also had a couple go bad due to garbled descriptor field.

You can probably do the same - maybe better - by using a hexadecimal program that can read and save text files.

I'm new to Mac so don't know which might work best.

As a note my failures occured on low available ram situations.

I've had the same happen to scene files on the PC - even under plenty of ram situations.

That's why I developed the habit of saving the camera motion. along wuth enveloping and saving the camera zoom even if it's static, in the scene project folder. Then I can do a Load From Scene and restore the camera position and zoom weeks or years later if needed.

byte_fx