PDA

View Full Version : Units of measure

Chrusion
10-17-2006, 08:31 AM
Ummm... When I set Modeler's Units to INCHES, why does Modeler display distances and sizes in tools and cursor position as FEET and inches instead of just plain INCHES??

This makes it very hard to model from a cad drawing where everything is dimensioned in inches... such as 72 inches not 6 feet or 82 inches, not 6 feet 10 inches.

How do I make Modeler display total inches in the position/size area (like 362.875"), not automatically convert to feet and decimal inches (like 30' 2.875")?

Help!

Bog
10-17-2006, 08:39 AM
Hurm. I've tried switching the Default Units argument from "Feet" to "Inches", and doesn't seem to have helped. So I'm not entirely certain it's possible

PS: Always been a big fan of that Starfury you did back in the wayback.

Phil
10-17-2006, 08:48 AM
It's an in-built LW feature to drive everyone towards the metric system ;)

BeeVee
10-17-2006, 08:49 AM
I know it's not much consolation, but you can always put in the units you want in the numeric panel - that's to say enter 6'10" rather than 82". (You can also enter 82" if you wish). LightWave will convert to the current measurement system.

B

Lito
10-17-2006, 09:43 AM
I was also wanting the feature to just display inches not feet+inches. I couldn't find any way to do it.

I find it kind of illogical that when you set you're units to default to inches it still displays everything with feet+inches. Personally I think it might be a bug that just has never been caught since many people try to use the metric system. :)

Kurtis
10-17-2006, 09:53 AM
Unit System is the only setting that has an effect on the display in numeric fields. It will determine whether the display shows in Meters or Feet.

The purpose of Default Unit is to allow you to enter values more simply, without the use of symbols or letters. For example, if you have it set to inches, you can just type 32, and LightWave will know you mean 32 inches.

As to why you cannot have it display in a manner that corresponds to the Default Unit, I can only make assumptions there, since it has been that way at least since I started using LightWave 10 years ago, long before I came to work here. This does seem like a logical feature request, and I would recommend you send an email to [email protected], so it can be put into consideration.

Chrusion
10-17-2006, 10:56 AM
> I would recommend you send an email to [email protected], so it can be put into consideration.

Done. Thanks, Kurtis.

iconoclasty
10-17-2006, 11:47 AM
:agree: LW seems to be used heavily in Arch Viz and it would be helpfull to choose to see 74" instead of 7'2".

colkai
10-17-2006, 01:01 PM
PS: Always been a big fan of that Starfury you did back in the wayback.

Totally dragging the thread way OT but Deans Babylon5 station was one of the things to inspire me with 3D. :)

Exception
10-17-2006, 01:40 PM
I don't know about your CAD package, but my autcad measures in Feet and Inches at the same time too...