PDA

View Full Version : Parent to Vertex?

Bog
10-17-2006, 06:52 AM
I know, I'm playing 20 questions here this week.

Is it possible, d'ya know, to connect one object to a specific vertex of another object? Like a parenting relationship, but to a point rather than a pivot?

And can I have the moon on a stick while I'm at it?

Auger
10-17-2006, 07:47 AM
Only way I can think of... You can add SoftFX to the parent object. Shut off the operators and then attach a null (happens automatically) using the Edittool and Makepath command.

Bog
10-17-2006, 08:30 AM
Auger, you beauty! That'll do it just bang-on fine! And it recognises the deforms from the SplineControl I'm using to do bendy deformy floopley things. Perfect.:thumbsup:

T-Light
10-17-2006, 08:35 AM
Here's a moon a stick, hope it helps, it took ages to google this :D
Waiting on a render and yes I'm bored.

Bog
10-17-2006, 08:37 AM
*GRIN*

Cheers, mate! :D

Dave Jerrard
10-19-2006, 03:38 PM
Well, that's more polite than the moon on a stick that was going to give ya! ;)

He Who Doubts Anyone Would Want To See That With or Without Eye Protection.

Bog
10-20-2006, 01:14 AM

But would it have been Lambert shaded, or Oren-Nayer? Which is the true Moon Shader? ;)

hrgiger
10-20-2006, 03:12 AM
You know the thread recently that asks what you DO like about Lightwave? This would be one of the specific things I DON'T like about Lightwave. Once we leave modeler, we don't really have any true vertex control. We do have these clumsy workarounds.
Glad you got your problem figured out though Bog.

Phil
10-20-2006, 03:17 AM

In the context of your reason to edit (Can you get that for me? I can't reach it.), I'm left with a rather horrible image in mind.......

Bog
10-20-2006, 03:32 AM
You know the thread recently that asks what you DO like about Lightwave? This would be one of the specific things I DON'T like about Lightwave. Once we leave modeler, we don't really have any true vertex control. We do have these clumsy workarounds.
Glad you got your problem figured out though Bog.

You know the thread recently that asks what you DO like about Lightwave? This would be one of the specific things I DO like about Lightwave. There's usually a hack or a work-around, and the community's stuffed chock-full of people with answers. ;)

But yeah, I really look forward to the day when I can have a Drag Tool in Layout. Either way, problem solved :)

pooby
10-20-2006, 03:37 AM
At the very least.. that 'Make Path' should update the null's movement when you recalculate, rather than having to make a new one..

Dave Jerrard
10-20-2006, 02:41 PM
But would it have been Lambert shaded, or Oren-Nayer?
Probably more of a fuzzy luminous one.

Which is the true Moon Shader? ;)
Not sure about which is the true one, but the best one in this case would be a hand, firmly held over the eyes. :p

Is Who Is In Another One Of Those Wonderful Twisted Moods Again.

Bog
10-20-2006, 05:48 PM
Reason: You're telling me that you actually made a decision that had a positive impact on your life?

What did we say about diverting the courses of asteroids towards life-bearing worlds?

That's right. We promised we wouldn't do it when anyone who matters was watching.

He Who's Always In One Of Those Moods, But Has Been Reviewing The New Sam And Max Game And Is Therefore In A Worse State Than Normal

Dave Jerrard
10-21-2006, 02:21 AM
What did we say about diverting the courses of asteroids towards life-bearing worlds?Don't let them catch me or I'll have to stay in at recess?

That's right. We promised we wouldn't do it when anyone who matters was watching.They were watching? Damm! (is it still swearing if I spell it wrong?)

He Who Remembers Proving That Snow Comes From The Moon, Butt Not Mine.