PDA

View Full Version : ARRRH can't take it anymore!!!

toby
10-17-2006, 03:53 AM
The texturing workflow is full of booby traps! And I'm the booby!

Used to be you could move like a freight train through texturing, but now with the field-highlight bug, layers not selecting when you click them, not copying when you 'copy' them, click on a layer, it acts like you haven't released so you're dragging it, I feel like a train that's been de-railed.

I realize these are probably artifacts from adding the node system and they'll be fixed at some point, but please God (Chilton), tell me they'll be gone in the next release?!? ( the field-highlight bug has been with us since [8], I'd really like to see that sucker beheaded. )

Chilton
10-17-2006, 05:56 AM
I'll take a look.

-Chilton

Darth Mole
10-17-2006, 06:44 AM
It disappeared somewhere around 8.5 but has come back! How is this possible? And why did no-one notice it?

jeremyhardin
10-17-2006, 10:02 AM
i have the same problems. both in the texture layers and in the nodes. some clicks attach whatever layer/node i clicked to the mouse. so when i drag my mouse to go click on another window...i've moved the item FAR from where it was supposed to be.

plus i click a surface name and it sometimes remains on the first surface in the scene, which of course i begin changing...thinking that i'm on the right one.

eblu
10-17-2006, 10:29 AM
It disappeared somewhere around 8.5 but has come back! How is this possible? And why did no-one notice it?

what do you mean darth? Its never gone anywhere. I've been living with promises of fixes on this since the beginning! I gave up on seeing this fixed in my lifetime. its one of the many things that Newtek has deemed not important enough to fix.
sorry chilton, don't mean to put words in newtek's collective mouth or anything, but by their actions Newtek has sent me this message LOUD and CLEAR.

Darth Mole
10-17-2006, 11:07 AM
I can work fluidly in LW8.5 - the bug's not there. 8.5 is still on my machine; I can go and check. But I certainly agree that it's a stupid annoying bug and should be fixed.

What's the deal with NOT releasing bug-fixes as and when they become available? I really don't get it. Fix it, check that it hasn't broken anything, relese the patch. Easy. What's the problem?

gatz
10-17-2006, 11:08 AM
The Field Hilite Bug needs to be fixed this afternoon! It manages to bone me every single time I use use LW. Don't touch anything else until this is gone.

rg

Chilton
10-17-2006, 11:10 AM
I've been monkeying around in the text code for a few weeks now, so it's likely the bug was fixed. However, can someone give me a simple recipe for the Field Hilite Bug?

Thanks,
-Chilton

Chilton
10-17-2006, 11:14 AM
Hi Darth,

I can work fluidly in LW8.5 - the bug's not there. 8.5 is still on my machine; I can go and check. But I certainly agree that it's a stupid annoying bug and should be fixed.

What's the deal with NOT releasing bug-fixes as and when they become available? I really don't get it. Fix it, check that it hasn't broken anything, relese the patch. Easy. What's the problem?

Well, this would be a big patch ;-)

I can't speak for the future, but right now, if I wanted to release a patch, it would mean me going back to a much earlier version of the code, and trying to figure out what was broken. In the UB version, much of that underlying text code is no longer. So a patch is far from simple, at this point.

Now, a year from now, we might be able to release a specific patch like this. But right now it would just take time away from the UB version.

-Chilton

Chilton
10-17-2006, 11:29 AM
Nevermind, I think I found it...

(is this it?)

http://newtek.com/forums/printthread.php?t=37247&page=2&pp=40

-Chilton

toby
10-17-2006, 01:59 PM
Nevermind, I think I found it...

(is this it?)

http://newtek.com/forums/printthread.php?t=37247&page=2&pp=40

-Chilton
I didn't see it in there, but it's very simple to reproduce -
Just add a texture to any channel, change it to a procedural, and the Frequencies field will be highlighted. Click next to the field to clear it, then change the procedural type to a different one - the field is highlighted again. Click to clear it, then change the blending mode - the field is highlighted again. Doing a test render will do it also. Basically any time the panel 'comes to the front', the field gets highlighted, including returning from any drop-down list.

And thnks for responding!
- booby

Darth Mole
10-17-2006, 02:23 PM
Oh, Chilton - you make it sound SO complicated. A 1 here, a 0 there - how hard can it be?

(I am kidding, you know that, right?)

And this bug pops up ALL OVER - it's really not hard to reproduce. Same thing in Modeller - soon as you click back onto a panel, the top-most field is re-highlighted and if you're not careful with your tabbing, you can enter several fields' worth of wrong data before you know it.

Hope the UB is coming along nicely, BTW.

toby
10-17-2006, 02:38 PM
And this bug pops up ALL OVER - it's really not hard to reproduce. Same thing in Modeller - soon as you click back onto a panel, the top-most field is re-highlighted and if you're not careful with your tabbing, you can enter several fields' worth of wrong data before you know it.
Oh yea, that's a good one;

Just press Shift-X for the box tool, press 'n' to activate the tool ( this assumes that your numeric panel is already open, which most of us always do have ), highlight the 'Height' field... pop! the 'Width' field gets highlighted. :screwy:

I bet this is not really a bug, but a convenience feature that never should have been activated - and maybe that means it's easy to turn off?

gatz
10-17-2006, 03:23 PM
Here's the cursed thang. Any field will do, this happens to be a Box creation. It's an animated gif from a screen capture. I've simulated the audio content;)

toby
10-17-2006, 03:36 PM
Perfect! :thumbsup:

Chilton
10-17-2006, 03:42 PM
Though I'm tempted to call anything a 'feature' if it looks like it will require more work, this really looks like a bug.

Thanks everyone for the info, and Gatz for the awesome gif.

-Chilton

jeremyhardin
10-17-2006, 03:47 PM
Here's the cursed thang. Any field will do, this happens to be a Box creation. It's an animated gif from a screen capture. I've simulated the audio content;)

That, my friend, is pure brilliance. My day is brightened. Thank you. (The sound was nice on it too. :D )