PDA

View Full Version : EPSF Loader on Mac, anyone?

RichH
02-18-2003, 04:41 PM
I would like to bring some engineering drawings into Modeler to work from. I have tried every flavor of EPS I could generate on my Mac, and none of the files will import through EPSF Loader. According to the docs, these files should be coming in as 2D objects.

Has anyone gotten this function to work? Any tips?

Thanks,

Richard Hurley

Darth Mole
02-18-2003, 04:59 PM
It can be really finnicky about spaces in the directory path - my HD is 'Macintosh HD', which caused problems. However, I've since downloaded another version of the plug-in from D-Storm's website, which seems to have fixed it.

From Illustrator (or whatever) you need to Save As an Illustrator EPS, then select version 8.0 (as in Illustrator 8.0). It doesn't like newer file formats.

That works fine for me.

RichH
02-18-2003, 05:00 PM
I just tried an export from FreeHand 10 (the source app), saving the drawings as Illustrator 7.x files (.ai). These came into modeller as live polygons. I am very pleased, but I can't help but wonder why all the .eps exports I did from FreeHand failed to open. Adobe favoritism?

R

Pensart
02-18-2003, 05:14 PM
Try saving them for an earlyer version like illustrator 5.0. this might do the trick

PixelDust
02-18-2003, 05:24 PM
I saved an .ai file in CorelDraw 11 and it imported into LW well, except that the holes in the object weren't "punched out". The hole shapes were present, but as separate filled shapes. The shape was usable, though.

I had combined the curves prior to saving. I had chosen the option in EPSF that allowed the holes to be punched out, but somehow it didn't work.

BTW, CorelDraw 11 doesn't indicate what version of Illustrator file it's saving the document as.

quatermain
02-18-2003, 06:48 PM
according to the manual, epsf loader is safe up to v. 8 - don't know if that has changed. I have run into problems when the filename has spaces or strange characters.

kenneth
02-19-2003, 12:54 PM
"EPSF Loader" is misleading.

It's really an Illustrator loader... I always save as Illustrator 3.2 (very raw curves, which is all it can handle anyway) in .AI format and never have a problem.

RichH
02-19-2003, 01:20 PM
Many thanks for the responses on this thread. It does look like the term "EPSF" is a tad misleading. I got a live vector drawing in as an .ai 7.x export from FreeHand, as mentioned, and that has been very helpful.

I was hoping that I could also get a scalable 2D bitmap into Modeler to serve as a template for some modeling. EPS will carry bitmap information. Unfortunately, the "loader" only seems to convert vector data. I just tested a workaround, namely applying an image texture map to a rectangle of appropriate proportions and auto-sizing the image to fit. Unfortunately, it appears that this will not generate the free scaling capacity that I need. My current thought is to use a UV map to "pin" the drawing to the rectangle, then re-scale. A preliminary test suggests this will work, but it seems a bit elaborate. I was surprised that a regular planar image texture map wouldn't scale with the rectangle it was mapped to. Is this really the case? I have a funny feeling I am missing something here, which, as a comparative newbie to LW, is quite likely.

Any thoughts/insights appreciated.

Richard Hurley

kenneth
02-19-2003, 01:28 PM
This was a common misunderstanding when serious texturing was first added to Modeler. If a surface is set to map with specific coordinates and scale info, it stays there. If you move the points around, the texture is still doing its thing, as defined in the texturing settings. It feels like your texture is in "world coordinates", but it's just sticking to the settings you've defined, while your geometry can still be anything you want.

You're not applying deformation to the points (like bones or position offsets in Layout), you're still defining the shape that the textures are applied to by really moving the points.

UVs are the answer.