PDA

View Full Version : What I like about LW

animotion
10-14-2006, 11:41 AM
I want to start a thread on some of the things that I LIKE about LW.
Feel free to chime in.

1. Its perspective view.
It never fails, every time I use another package and go back to LW, its like a breath of fresh air. LW's perspective view is very clean and really lets me see the world in a natural way.

2. Nodes are taking on a very logical work flow. keep it going NT.

3. Vast amount of free plugins.

4. Helpful community.

5. Backwards compatibility with older machines!!!! Some programs that I have will not work on older machines.

6. Packaged freebies like Vue5, DFX4, etc.
Come on throw me a bone, I won't be mad.

What do you like? :)

GandB
10-14-2006, 11:59 AM
So far, coming from TrueSpace/GameSpace, I like the availability of well-priced (and well presented) tutorials sets. Using Dan Ablan's LW9 course (on and off) has made the transition into LW very easy. Caligari charges WAY too much for what you get in their courseware. My concern is primarily game modeling/animating, but I'd like to start creating a library of higher poly models to sell on TurboSquid, 3D Studio.com, My site's store, etc.; to bring in some additional income.

I really don't need to worry about character animation right now, as we're mostly creating casual games right now; but when I do need to start working on CA, it looks like NewTek will have that sorted out.

The excellent community and huge amount of free plugins is great. It's going to take me some time to learn Lightwave as a whole, but I'm taking the time to learn only what is relevant to game development right now...its less overwhelming for me that way. I have a few projects that have nothing to do with game development, that I'd like to explore later; it's nice to know that I can do pretty much anything I want with Lightwave, I just didn't feel that way about TrueSpace (even with the V7.x series coming to fruition).

I also like the fact that the company, on all levels, gets involved with the community (as my run-in with Jim Plant showed me :)). Like it says next to my avatar...I'm happy to be here.

-Keith

Nicolas Jordan
10-14-2006, 12:00 PM
I like some of the new modeling tools. I know other programs out there now have these tools or similair tools but Lightwave has a nice variety of modeling tools. I especially like some of the new ones in that appeared in Lightwave 8 & 9 like Connect, Bridge and MultiShift. These are all great tools that make modeling much faster! :)

I also like the "center selected item" icon in the corner of each view port in Layout, it comes in very handy.

Wonderpup
10-14-2006, 01:18 PM
I really like the hands on feel of Modeler, the way morphs work, the fact that I can get good looking renders without navigating a control panel like a jumbo jet- I like the new nodes and the fact that we have layers as well.

I like the way bones just work without weights, hypervoxels are nice. I like the graph editors feel, motion mixer is easy to use. In general the overall feel is solid and quick to learn. I like a **** of a lot about this software and despite the roller coaster ride of the last few years I'm still glad I chose it over Maya. It suits the way I think and as a 'one man band' operator now it still represents the most effective way for one guy to 'do it all'.

Ok, I'm going to lie down now- all this positivity has worn me out.

Edit: The problem with censoring the 'h' word is everyone thinks you've typed something really offensive, like ****

Exception
10-14-2006, 01:19 PM
- Interface, its logic, efficiency and lack of doodahs, hieroglyphs.

- Modeling power & Speed.

- Ethics (amazing startup time, no splash screen, self-contained, no proprietary nonsense, compact)

- Productivity Smarties (calculations in input fields, spreadsheet, shortcut system, preference files)

- Edge rendering and surface editor

- 1001 free powerful tools to trip over on flay.com

- Fprime, HD Instance, LWCad, VertiBevel

- BeeVee, Chuck, Proton, Pavlov, Gaushell, Otacon, Dodgy, Bog, Cresshead, Jeremy Hardin, HRGiger, LightWolf, SilverLW, Prospector, Panikos, Colkai, Silkrooster, Captain Obvious, James Wilmott, Jure, Dave Jerrard, ADK, and all those that I forgot... or not. ;)

And yes Oddity, I love you too.

iconoclasty
10-14-2006, 01:35 PM
Umm.. Price, Duh.

And Exception, you forgot Oddity.

Exception
10-14-2006, 02:03 PM
Umm.. Price, Duh.

And Exception, you forgot Oddity.

He was lined up for the honourable mention. :)

Dodgy
10-14-2006, 02:38 PM
The grid and snap in modeler.
Bones (Weights only if you need to!)
Per channel IK
Totally modifiable hotkeys and menus.
Hide paradigm in modeler.
Tools work on polys points and edges mostly.

Users users USERS!

Panikos
10-14-2006, 03:04 PM
Lol Exception

We all love each other, believe me :)
We all love LW too.
If we argue, is because we want more

What I love in LW is that I start immediately to work on a project without filling forms, preplanning like it happens in other apps.
There are many areas I love in LW, lately I have many complains ;D

kmaas
10-14-2006, 05:11 PM
...lack of doodahs, hieroglyphs...

:agree:

I'd much rather be able to pick a tool by reading the name rather than picking what I think it will do.

Exception
10-14-2006, 05:25 PM
kmaas! I forgot about you! How could I?

It's because you dont have an avatar, eventhough you're 33 posts short of a 1000.... and I am a visual person... or It's because you want to be forgotten, to sink away slowly in the soothing grey mass of anonimity, smouldering in the insomnia of a past never conquered...

GandB
10-14-2006, 05:26 PM
It is interesting that users of programs like TrueSpace say the opposite of what is said here; concerning icons vs. reading tabs. There's a thread that has a user comparing LW and TS; he calls LW "garbage". I thought that was an unfair assessment of LW, so I chimed in a bit. Personally I was always back-and-forth with an "icon laden" UI; I'm a visual person. But LW's layout seems more effective, once I get used to the tab structure. The only thing I miss is navigating the viewports (rotate, zoom, pan) with the mouse alone.

-Keith

tyrot
10-14-2006, 06:01 PM
dear animo

Plugins! Pictrix!!!! and all others...modeler, dave jerrard's post editing reasons (im an addict), no splash screen...NT! /they are still with us, although we are beeetching around always....

and yes community. You cant find that much dramatic figures in any other software user base. That much conspriacy and dilemma!..(old team, new team, old users, darkwavers, lightwavers, hopes, Cycles, comparisions, endless requests, reborns, newsletters, arguments..fanboyism, cool userism..

i love everything about LW and everyone who involves with it.

and yes...i Love the Money i earn with lightwave almost everyday.

BEST

UnCommonGrafx
10-14-2006, 06:30 PM
I love Oddity. He's refreshing and what we in America are missing: someone willing to speak their piece.

I own Lw. I like all the devvers that chip in to make it better. I like Tim Jenison for fighting for us to keep it.

I LOVE that they gave Prem his due by finally using the superior expression system.

pixym
10-14-2006, 06:38 PM
Compatibility between the versions, an LW 9 scene saved file can be opened in the 7.5 version...

Snosrap
10-14-2006, 07:36 PM
Where to begin:

The Camera - the best implementation out there.
No Goofy icons - and the ones that do exist make sense.
Great Primitive creation - click on box and drag out a box etc.
Modeler - as whole Modeler rocks! And that's saying so after purchasing modo earlier in the year.
FPrime - set up 4 different cameras and render them all at the same time, WOW!
The Surface Editor - Nodal is nice, but you can't beat the good old Surface Editor.
And much more!!

Cheers
Snos

d1wojo
10-14-2006, 11:41 PM
I came from truespce a few years back and I have to say that no on or software is perfect but I perfer LW, and the communtiy is a big part of why I stay and the pricing. The modeler rocks for me.....:lwicon:

Puguglybonehead
10-15-2006, 01:28 AM
The Lightwave Renderer - it's one of the main reasons I switched from Cinema 4D. Sure, C4D's renderer is faster, but Lightwave's renderer always seems to give results that are about 200% better. And all the different cel-shading options that are available are cool too (another reason I switched). And now, the nodal shader system (I hadn't used anything like this since Pixels 3D). And being able to mix nodal and layers, even better. :lightwave

The Plugins - there are so many plugins available. And a whole pile of them even come included with the app. Looks like a lot of new ones are on the way too.

The Price - Best deal there is, IMO.

Hypervoxels - You can do amazingly fun things with them. I can't believe that this is included as part of Lightwave. Maxon was charging a fortune for their PyroCluster module.

LWCAD - Very trick. (I was so happy I qualified for the promo)

Tutorials- All the excellent tutorials and training that are available. More abundant than almost any app out there. Now, if only there were schools teaching Lightwave in Canada..... :(

The Community - A lot of people with a lot of helpful advice. And, this has to be one of the most entertaining forums around. You really are an....unusual...bunch of people. SpinQuad and LightwaveGroup are also pretty cool. :thumbsup:

OK, I'd better stop now, this thread is starting to look disgustingly like a love-in :heart:

Exception
10-15-2006, 01:36 AM
OK, I'd better stop now, this thread is starting to look disgustingly like a love-in :heart:

Oh man, I just love your handle...
your... love... handle....

erhm...

Puguglybonehead
10-15-2006, 01:43 AM
Oh man, I just love your handle...
your... love... handle....

erhm...

Ohhh....behave! :rolleyes:

Exception
10-15-2006, 01:49 AM
Well, I do love your handle, but your avatar is a bit suggestive, and um you said 'love' so, ehrm,..

hahaha... eh...

*runs out of the room*

Puguglybonehead
10-15-2006, 02:00 AM
The avatar really 'should' get updated....something I'm working on....as soon as one of these new hair plugins becomes available for Mac (c'mon guys, hurry it up!) :D

parm
10-15-2006, 03:49 AM
e. t. ctrl t. b. X. ctrl k. h. H. y.

newsvixen8
10-15-2006, 07:12 AM
In addition to all that's been mentioned, I'm so pleased to see the improvements in the documentation. I just finished reading the new LW9 manual(s) and they are vastly better than the previous versions. Nice writing, folks.

MooseDog
10-15-2006, 07:17 AM
e. t. ctrl t. b. X. ctrl k. h. H. y.

exactly!

simple, fast, friendly and powerful :lwicon:

-EsHrA-
10-15-2006, 10:03 AM
teh community.

mlon

creativecontrol
10-15-2006, 10:30 AM
I have always loved the interface. No useless icons and gadgets taking up precious screen space and a better workflow than any other software I use.

Also, I like the seperate modeling and layout, for me it's still the best method.

Most of all, I love the fact that it is an all in one package that has everything you need to complete a project. It may not be the best at everything but in can do it all. Every other package I've tried has huge holes in it's capabilities that require yet another package to complete a project. Some of these are very expensive yet fail at seemingly simple things. Lightwave has always been able to handle anything for me.

On top of that, I think it has some of the best rendering in the world, bar none.:newtek: :thumbsup:

Bog
10-15-2006, 10:46 AM
1) The camera. Zero mass, infinite courage, more flexible than a contortionist on muscle-relaxants, and dear Gh0d just look at how pretty that render is.

2) The power. If you can imagine it, you can build it. Then blow it up.

3) The community. Even if it drives me up the wall every 'unce in a while, it still kicks aitch-ee double-hockey-sticks out of the competition.

4) The interaction with the people who actually build, maintain and support the frakkin' thing. And the fact that their support includes things like two-page write-ups in Autodesk User. I mean "3D World Magazine". *koff* ;) The fact that they're actively working with us. And the parties they throw, oh the parties they throw... :beerchug:

5) The fact that the 3rd-party plugin community is like a workshop-studio, a bazaar, and a late-80s coder-party all rolled into one.

6) To be honest, I even like the fact that at the moment - ****, at the ever-since - there's more than a shade of rebelliousness about being a 'Waver. We're not towing some huge corporate line. We're not part of Duh Establishmunt. We're edge. Fringe. Half our toolset is so cutting edge, it barely has a proper name for it. We're doing bloody good art, without having the creaking leviathan of Autocrat or Adoobie clanking and groaning along behind it, with the developers trudging in lockstep behind their shareholders, making sure every one of them gets this years' Mercedes or whatever. Nah, we're doing it because we love it, and if the marketplace is a bit cramped then it means we have to work like stink to turn out stuff that's of such unignorably high quality that it would be patent lunacy to do it the other way.

I like the teeny, tiny Jolly Roger stuck to my dongle. It makes me feel that little bit more of a free man. It reminds me of the dedication plaque on Voyager, the round-the-world record holder...

"See What Free Men Can Do".

So I'm a romantic. So sue me.

*edit*

Oh yeah - falloff. Bloody love falloff, me.

jasonwestmas
10-15-2006, 12:18 PM
Social Order Dominates or is at least half of success. I think that is what we have here on the Newtek forums. I love everyone here in that Phileo, Platonic, invisible and metaphysical kind of way. :P

Bog
10-15-2006, 01:12 PM
Social Order Dominates or is at least half of success. I think that is what we have here on the Newtek forums. I love everyone here in that Phileo, Platonic, invisible and metaphysical kind of way. :P

This is order? ;D

jasonwestmas
10-15-2006, 01:16 PM
I forgot to mention the chaotic playfulness that makes things all worth while and compliments the level of control that is evident. There is no fear here.

Bog
10-15-2006, 01:17 PM
*pelts Jason with marshmallows*

Wasn't me. A big boy did it and ran off.

jasonwestmas
10-15-2006, 01:23 PM
I also forgot to mention the sense of humor that makes it fun to keep on comming back for more punishment!

Stooch
10-15-2006, 01:31 PM
I love the badass hair! the cloth! the character animation is top notch! stability! crazy new features that revolutinize the industry with each update! I love the red design scheme on the website! I love the flawless and fast OGL, especially in modeler! I love how stable it is! THE HUB! rocks! UV unwrapping tools! Liquid simulation! I love the ease of rigging! The way the program crashes after a loong render of a huge image wasting all of that time! The fact that i can have 1000 different buttons that all do the same thing! man, talk about flexibility!

Bog
10-15-2006, 01:32 PM
Don't be hatin', Stooch - plenty o'threads for the negative, no need to vent it here.

C'mon... be a pal.

Stooch
10-15-2006, 01:33 PM
lol just playing with choo :)

Bog
10-15-2006, 01:35 PM
lol just playing with choo :)

Muh-huh. And the Judge told you about playin' with folks when you hadn't asked 'em if you could, now didn't he?

;)

Exception
10-15-2006, 01:43 PM
I love everyone. I love you bog. I love your squirrel, stooch. *twitch* I love lightwave. And my purple dongle friend *twank*. I love you bog. Love. *sniq* They tell me to stay away. They tell me I am... different... I love... content manager. *twitch* I love things... that are... different...
C'mere Bog...

Bog
10-15-2006, 01:54 PM
Grooooup Huuuug!

Wonderpup
10-15-2006, 02:18 PM
It's interesting- we all seem a lot more comfortable ****ing lightwave than praising it- I thought this was just a british thing, but clearly it's more universal.

I felt compelled to add a little ironic postscript on the end of my post, lest anyone mistake me for some starry eyed fanboy- how sad is that?

Maybe negativity has become the new 'street cred' on the forums.

Bog
10-15-2006, 02:22 PM
Propose to an Englishman any principle, or any instrument, however
admirable, and you will observe that the whole effort of the English
mind is directed to find a difficulty, a defect, or an impossibility in
it. If you speak to him of a machine for peeling a potato, he will
pronounce it impossible; if you peel a potato with it before his eyes,
he will declare it useless, because it will not slice a pineapple.

:/

(Not wishing to seem nationalistic or owt)

Stooch
10-15-2006, 02:23 PM
You can give me crap for being overly negative and i can give you the same crap back for being overly positive.
I dont think that one or the other is any more evil.

The ying to the yang or the yang to the ying.
Otherwise you would be living in neverland (chich ching $$$)

http://www.mqablog.com/sitebuilder/images/Michael-Jackson-With-Kids-312x216.jpg

jasonwestmas
10-15-2006, 04:00 PM
I was going to say

"Well at least many of us are honest with our experiences with lightwave and our art. We keep them half way inside and out of our imaginary mind and half way inside and out of our logical more concrete self."

But then I saw Stooch's last post. LOL

parm
10-15-2006, 04:05 PM
I like the name:

Newtek. Lightwave.

Sounds bright, optomistic and forward looking.

And I like the logo:

:lwicon:

A spiral with rose thorns.

jasonwestmas
10-15-2006, 04:07 PM
actually it was the logo that got me interested in lightwave 6 years ago >:D

Bog
10-15-2006, 04:12 PM
Though we both lie close together,
We feel layers apart inside.
Was it subdiv I did or subpatch I said?
Did my nurbs not come out right?
Though I tried not to hurt you,
Though I tried,
I guess that's why they say every node has it's thorn...

*gets coat*
*hails taxi*

jasonwestmas
10-15-2006, 04:13 PM
I love the badass hair! the cloth! the character animation is top notch! stability! crazy new features that revolutinize the industry with each update! I love the red design scheme on the website! I love the flawless and fast OGL, especially in modeler! I love how stable it is! THE HUB! rocks! UV unwrapping tools! Liquid simulation! I love the ease of rigging! The way the program crashes after a loong render of a huge image wasting all of that time! The fact that i can have 1000 different buttons that all do the same thing! man, talk about flexibility!

I like most*of those things in LW actually but they certainly are not revolutionary and certainly not easy to use.

jasonwestmas
10-15-2006, 04:14 PM
Though we both lie close together,
We feel layers apart inside.
Was it subdiv I did or subpatch I said?
Did my nurbs not come out right?
Though I tried not to hurt you,
Well I guess that's why they say every node has it's thorn...

*gets coat*
*hails taxi*

Now that ROCKS! lol

tyrot
10-15-2006, 04:59 PM
dear bog

i gotta make a song for it.... i really must do it...

BEST

(although i was making a lightwave love song for a long time..this lyrics beats everything )

Bog
10-15-2006, 05:05 PM
Heeheehee... I was just listening to "Every Rose Has It's Thorn" by Poison as I read Jason's post, and you know... I'm me... ;)

tyrot
10-15-2006, 05:10 PM
dear bog

i gotta make something else...and i believe listenning poison is a crime in some states...it is against the rock's law..:)

come on mate...write a full song's lyrics....i promise TEARS :) for every lightwavers' eyes...

Best

BTW IS THERE A BIRTHDAY FOR LIGHTWAVE? I m not that much old user. I dont know the exact date. Lets celebrate this year Lightwave's birthday...

Panikos
10-15-2006, 06:47 PM
Having countless plugins is not always good, of course depending on the plugin.
Having a stack of plugins that dont communicate or do not share information or cannot coexist, or cause miscomputations/bugs makes them useless.

Also, in terms of rendering, a function build the core code executes faster than having it as a plugin.

Often I find some plugins that Newtek should develop, in the first place. Is like having a TextEditor and Copy/Paste functions are missing.

UnCommonGrafx
10-15-2006, 06:53 PM
Man,
You guys have become worse than my wife: ruining a wet dream any chance you get.

The thread wasn't about you injecting your complaints; it's about espousing the positives. Stooch, even in his backhanded way, followed the plan. Flat out complaints of things that are wrong with lw could easily find their way into a plethora of posts on this site.

It ain't all good but there is a great deal of goodness within. Focus on that. Then find those other threads to offer the counter point.

He who has lots to b1tch about but not here,

Panikos
10-15-2006, 06:55 PM
Is not a complain, is a comment.
I wrote what I like already :)

T-Light
10-15-2006, 07:25 PM
My qualifications are in art and design, I don't have a single qualification in programming or IT (Don't think there were any in my day). That's why I've earned most of my money being a programmer (go figure).

Soooo.... Lightwave = My Dreamspace, My chance to escape to arty things instead of s*dding SQL, perl and dowdy days.

Love the history, Love the way it works, Love the output and the enourmous chasm of potential that bursts from the grey b*gger every time I open the darned thing. I say 'darned thing' because I've spent more time in it lately than my girlfriend / bank account and business can allow.

Pandora's box would be a better title. :devil:

Is there a waver's anonymous in Northern Britain? :lwicon: :help:

UnCommonGrafx
10-15-2006, 07:27 PM
Some friends and I have been discussing a NewTeks Anonymous program as of late!!! Rofl
They feed us the goods and keep us hooked. haha, gosh, I need to share some of those tales.

toby
10-15-2006, 07:37 PM
Heeheehee... I was just listening to "Every Rose Has It's Thorn" by Poison as I read Jason's post, and you know... I'm me... ;)
I think it's by Guns & Roses, but poo by any other name...

Anyway, as far as what I like about Lightwave;
1) The Interface. No matter what viewport I work in, it renders through the CAMERA. Are you listening Autodesk?? We're funny like that, when we put a camera in the scene, it generally means we want to use it.

2) The Interface. I am not an Archeologist, because I have no interest in learning hieroglyphic icon languages.

3) The Interface. The Image Viewer allows me to flip between all previous renders and sample the image. No other program has both!

4) The Interface. It's nothing like Maya's!

T-Light
10-15-2006, 07:39 PM
UnCommonGrafx -

They feed us the goods and keep us hooked
Maybe Crack cocaine is Lightwave in druggy form for the masses? Maybe we're on to something here, just what have Newtek been up to these past couple of months? we demand to be told the truth :D

Puguglybonehead
10-15-2006, 10:21 PM
UnCommonGrafx -

Maybe Crack cocaine is Lightwave in druggy form for the masses? Maybe we're on to something here, just what have Newtek been up to these past couple of months? we demand to be told the truth :D

And lowering the price last year? Probably just so they could get even more unsuspecting users 'hooked'! :devil:

Exception
10-15-2006, 11:21 PM
1) The Interface. No matter what viewport I work in, it renders through the CAMERA. Are you listening Autodesk?? We're funny like that, when we put a camera in the scene, it generally means we want to use it.

Haha! That just cracked me up.

4) The Interface. The dialog windows don't scroll. They're not supposed to. Have you ever seen a scrolling real window, mr Autodesk? Are you sadistic, mr Autodesk? Would you like me to hide the ignition slot for your car underneath your chair, so you can slide it back to start it, mr Autodesk? With a key that you always need to wear on your forehead wherever you go?

Nicolas Jordan
10-18-2006, 09:56 AM
I have been reading some posts recently with some new users frustrated with Lightwaves units & grid system because it works differently then some other programs. I personally think it may be one of the best units, grids systems I have ever used so far, especially if you combine it with LWCAD 2.0! :D

SP00
10-18-2006, 10:37 AM
I like LW because it crashed less than MAX :)

bobakabob
10-18-2006, 12:10 PM
The Community is second to none. There are so many people here willing to share their knowledge. Including Oddity who has spent months attempting to do the impossible: define art ;)

I love Modeler, it's already a great toolkit and doesn't yet have Open GL. OT: Don't want to start a flame war but I seem to be one of the few disappointed with M**o's interface. Sure, it's a top professional app and I know it can be customised but IMO it's lost Modeler's intuitive workflow.

The new Production Menu config has revolutionised Lightwave's interface. Hypervoxels and the new nodes are also :thumbsup:

colkai
10-18-2006, 12:19 PM
What I like about LW?
Dunno, for all it's faults and shortcomings, it justs "fits" me and I find it so easy to work in.
I've got other packages on my PC but they seem so 'weird' to get to grips with, I'm just "comfy" with LW.

The community? Goes without saying, a real high point (most of the time ;) ).

animotion
10-18-2006, 11:20 PM
Thank you for keeping it positive.
I forget about some of LW's features because I don't have to think about them much, sorta like learning how to walk, you just don't think about stepping, it just happends.

Anyway, Keep up the good work NT.:lightwave

zardoz
10-19-2006, 03:01 AM
The modelling tools and the marvelous community.

starbase1
10-19-2006, 03:09 AM
I find setting stuff up in layeiout VERY easy. In parrticular the keyframing and graph editor.

When I occasionally use other packages, (Vue or Poser) I tend to end up getting very dfrustrated and wiondering why on earth they did it the hard way!

Nick

PS - Oh, and the preset shelf was probably the single best improvement to my productivity!

SplineGod
10-19-2006, 03:17 AM
What I like...hmm

*The biggest thing is LWs spontonaety. I like getting things done in a timely fashion so I get paid sooner.
*High quality output
*Simple non cluttered interface. Easy to read buttons
* Endomorphs
*Textures can be used to control many many aspects
*Easy to use modeler
*other stuff ppl have already mentioned :)

Phil
10-19-2006, 03:43 AM
Relativity. The single plugin that makes me happy to fire up LW :)

BeeVee
10-19-2006, 03:56 AM
One of the things I like best is that not only are there often many ways to perform tasks that seem downright impossible at first, but that this community is so willing to share all of them.

B

starbase1
10-19-2006, 04:52 AM
What I like...hmm

*Simple non cluttered interface. Easy to read buttons

Darn right!
Down with blobs on knobs!
:cursin:

bobakabob
10-19-2006, 05:43 AM

Bog
10-19-2006, 09:14 AM
Endormorphs are just blimmin' gorgeous. I was watching someone working in 3DS t'other day and couldn't believe that morphing was still done with multiple objects loaded. Eeesh.

TomT
10-19-2006, 02:07 PM
Speed of setup for a project, ease of manipulation, hot keys for everything, excellent modeller for hardbodies, real-world/floating point coordinates, endomorphs, ik-booster, cheap price for additional seats, plugin architecture, clean seperation of modeling from scene management, simple ease-in/out curves, surfacing model.

(I actually prefer LW's segmented workflow because it keeps focus on what I'm doing at the time.)

-T

Phil
10-19-2006, 02:14 PM
Endormorphs are just blimmin' gorgeous. I was watching someone working in 3DS t'other day and couldn't believe that morphing was still done with multiple objects loaded. Eeesh.

Impulse's Imagine 3.0 (Amiga / DOS) supported a similar concept *many* moons ago. ;) I do like it, but LW took a good number of years to get this concept :D

Earl
10-19-2006, 02:17 PM
Personally, I like the name. I only buy and use programs that sound cool. ;D

Stooch
10-19-2006, 02:24 PM
Everyone does! thats why maya is in the lead. Although 3dSmax could be rethought IMO. How about "Sockets" (for all those plugins).

before anyone takes me too seriously and chimes in "but lw is also becoming a medley of different plugins" - yes i know you are right. but the name is cooler.

CMT
10-19-2006, 02:44 PM
Lightwave is a great name because it sounds cool and is descriptive.

I've tried siting down with a friends 3DSMax and Maya PLE. I just was floored by the fact that as soon as I made a sphere in those programs, I had to search for quite a while for how to set up lights and camera settings. I just wanted to do a basic quick setup to get a quick feel and it took about an hour or so before I figured all of it out.

My first time and test with LW: Open Modeler. Make a quick sphere. Save. Open Layout. Click "Add object". Click "Camera" set resolution. Click "Light" then "Properties". Set it, move it. F9. Done. No searching, no stress. Effortless.

It happened almost that fast.

Texturing is simple.
Lighting is straightforward. I'd still like to get FPrime though...
Modeler is one of the best IMHO.

Stooch
10-19-2006, 03:02 PM
well i have to say, its just as easy to use maya once you know its quirks.

there are so many ways to do what you just described tis not even funny, what LW does for you is separate the modeling from animation, thus reducing the amount of buttons you have to wade through. When you consider how easily you can arrange maya to suit your task LW actually loses out... The HUD really works nicely too once you clean alot of the unnecessary crap out of it.

Earl
10-19-2006, 03:21 PM
well i have to say, its just as easy to use maya once you know its quirks.
What truly sold me on LightWave was the fact that after opening the program up for the first time (v5.0) I was able to use most of the tools immediately. I didn't have the start off reading a bunch of tutorials, or watching videos, or reading the manual. I could literally open the program having absolutely zero LW experience and I knew how the basics worked. That cannot be said about Maya, or XSI, or 3ds. Perhaps LW was secretly made to work exactly how my mind thinks... but I doubt that. I believe it's just a lot more intuitive than the other programs out there. Of course, it does need some workflow re-thinking now... but that's a different story. :D

Wonderpup
10-19-2006, 03:27 PM

I did some character animation in Max and it was quite grisly having all those morph targets laying around the scene. Every now and then I'll accidently unhide them and zoom out to find them laying there like the aftermath of a massacre- weird frozen rictus grins on their faces.

Stooch
10-19-2006, 03:33 PM
What truly sold me on LightWave was the fact that after opening the program up for the first time (v5.0) I was able to use most of the tools immediately. I didn't have the start off reading a bunch of tutorials, or watching videos, or reading the manual. I could literally open the program having absolutely zero LW experience and I knew how the basics worked. That cannot be said about Maya, or XSI, or 3ds. Perhaps LW was secretly made to work exactly how my mind thinks... but I doubt that. I believe it's just a lot more intuitive than the other programs out there. Of course, it does need some workflow re-thinking now... but that's a different story. :D

hmm well for what its worth when i opened maya with 0 experience i didnt encounter any problems finding stuff. I did come from a lw background so the basics were down. I think stuff like that is pretty simple, and btw actualyl the first thing i do with any program is follow the tutorials and read the help documentation... I think that maya has an unjustified bad rap for being cumbersome, but it really isnt, it just has alot of tools.. I think that if LW had all the tools maya has, it will be just as daunting...

kyle_r
10-19-2006, 03:39 PM
What i like in lw ?

Well ... first think, the bouton with the name of the fonction.
Like some one said we aren't archeologiste. I can't stand icon bouton Maya style. I like to read, i don't like to decrypt.

The simplicity to do basic scene setup.
The simplicity of the surface editor and light setting.
The more simplicity to do all that with Fprime.

The subpatch modeling.
The Hub ... sorry, second hand joke.

The community.

And a lot of think.

I dislike a lot of think too, the fact that a lot a thing doesn't works like it should do ... but that is another story.

Dexter2999
10-19-2006, 04:04 PM
[QUOTE=Stooch]Everyone does! thats why maya is in the lead. Although 3dSmax could be rethought IMO. QUOTE]
That is why they added MAX to the name. I think they want to call the next version 3DStudioMAX EXTREME, to boost sales. Also why Softimage is changing to market as XSI it just sounds cooler.

Dave Jerrard
10-19-2006, 04:36 PM
I never had to read the manual to get going with it, unlike any other 3D software I've tried.

Very few icons! I can pretty much guess what any button is for without needing a tool-tip to appear. I hate software that uses cryptic hieroglyphs for everything, then forces you to wait for a tool-tip to appear with text that says what the button is for. Get rid of the ****ing icons!

I make a living with it. This should probably be my number one reason, but I'm too lazy to change the order of these things. Instead, I spend more enegry & time describing why I can't spend the energy & time editing this list.

Can't think of anything to put here, but I won't let that stop me from filling this space.

LightWave has pretty much done everything the way I'd expect it to be done since version 1. It works pretty much the way I think, so I tend to feel at home with it.

I can actually afford it. Well after you include my other expenses - astronomy, photography, DVDs, home theater... What am I forgetting? Ah yes... Hookers. I keep forgetting to get those... Hmm. I'll probably have to give up one of the others though... Darn...

I met my wife because of it. Well, there goes the hooker habit-to-be now...

With a can or two of Monster, I never have to sleep again. Wait.. Is that a pro or con?

I get to build up my ego by seeing my name on the internet.

I get to wrack my brain for more He Who signatures than I normally would.

I learn lots of movie trivia in my search for random reasons for editing quotes...

Like Sally Field, people like me. They really like me. (this is my fantasy, so don't ruin it for me)

He Who Has Now Run Out Of Things To Say.

Captain Obvious
10-19-2006, 05:06 PM
1: Developers, Developers, Developers!

Plugins make Lightwave what it is.

2: Community, community, community!

Seriously, the LW community rocks. People are helpful and friendly, most of the time. A tad defensive, perhaps, but I think I can put up with that.

3: Best. Darned. Camera interface. EVAR!

Seriously, it rocks. Moving the camera round in the scene is a breeze, and the fact that you can set up film size/aperture length/zoom factor/FOV... awesome!

4: I rather like the separation of Modeler and Layout. I only wish that clones in Layout could be instances instead of clones...

RedBull
10-19-2006, 05:28 PM
I agree with CO's comments....
I love the Camera/Light/Object navigation in Layout above all others...
I can't believe Modo stuffed the Lights and Camera Nav.

Plugins/Scripts/SDK the gift that keeps on giving....
Surface Editor, is just quicker than everyone elses.

LW workflow is so ancient and cruddy, that it actually works...
I'm contantly amazed at how i'm just so much faster in LW, than Maya/XSI/Blender/Houdini/C4D for a lot of those everyday menial tasks.
Having only 1 panel being open which is a sever limitation, also causes
me to only focus on one thing at a time, and causes a deliberate workflow.
All these new tools and programs, that offer more customization and power
but come at the great expense of speed and setup...

Unlimited Render Nodes:

FPrime, Fprime and sometimes more Fprime....
More procedurals/shaders than any other package.

Hookers. I keep forgetting to get those...Hmm. I'll probably have to give up one of the others though... Darn...

I met my wife because of it. Well, there goes the hooker habit now...

You poor, poor man, Wives cost way more than hookers, and are only about half as fun as astronomy. Make sure you keep the good hobbies.... :)

Captain Obvious
10-19-2006, 05:55 PM
I can't believe Modo stuffed the Lights and Camera Nav.
Oh, it's not all bad. I love how modo's lights and cameras can be navigated like a regular perspective viewport. I love how you can enable and disable trackball rotation in the camera and light perspectives. And the fact that the "jump to here" tool works in camera and light mode as well is AWESOME.

In fact, I would prefer modo's camera and light workflow if it weren't for one tiny little detail: bugs! modo's camera interface is completely bug-ridden. Or maybe it's just weird by design, I'm not entirely sure. If I open a scene in modo and switch to Camera perspective, it will not necessarily be the camera that actually renders. You select which camera you want to render from in the Render settings, but the viewports have nothing to do with that setting. And if you select one camera in one viewport, switch to another and then back again, sometimes the selected camera resets. Sometimes! Completely inconsistent and extremely agitating.

But enough about modo...

I also like the surface editor. Haven't bought LW9 yet, so I don't know about nodes. But the surface editor is nice. Very straight-forward. Highly complex stuff is hard as **** to do in it, but I do arch viz. I have like a few dozen materials in a given scene. It's usually fairly easy to manage. :thumbsup: