PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave Firsts!

Nicolas Jordan
10-14-2006, 10:23 AM
Lightwave was the first 3D program to support .hdr images and also the first 3D program to become 64-bit! I thought it would be fun to start a thread to assemble a list of features and technologies that Lightwave had first. What other features or technologies did Lightwave have first before the other 3D programs?

List of Lightwave firsts

1. Hdr file support

2. Built in Cel Shader

3. SubdivisionSurfaces/Meta Nurbs

4. Volumetrics ?

5. Fog ?

6. 64-bit ?

7. First to bring 3D to episodic T.V.

8. Vertex Displacement ?

9. Lens Flares ?

10. Introduction of Flexible Precision Image Format.

11. Packaged with a full video production suite.

Cageman
10-14-2006, 10:36 AM
Wasn't LightWave first with Radiosity as well?

Nicolas Jordan
10-14-2006, 10:52 AM
Wasn't LightWave first with Radiosity as well?

Yes, I think your right about that, I forgot about that one. :thumbsup:

WilliamVaughan
10-14-2006, 12:01 PM
I'm pretty sure I remember a magazine advert saying that LW had teh first built in Cel Shader (AH_Celshade) back in the 5.0 cycle.

Captain Obvious
10-14-2006, 12:11 PM
Cinema 4D was released as a 64-bit application in may 2005. 64-bit Lightwave wasn't released until august 1st the same year. Houdini was released as a 64-bit app way back in 2002. So no, Lightwave was not the first 64-bit 3D application.

*Pete*
10-14-2006, 12:15 PM
Lightwave first with subd's?

wasnt Lightwave first with "transparent surfaces" also??

and maybe also "fog"?

my memory is bad, and Lightwave has been around for a long long time....

SaturnX
10-14-2006, 12:17 PM
hmm, i'm pretty sure Lightwave v5.0 was the first to have meta-nurbs, as it was called then.
Now known as sub-patches.
I think i still have that old Amiga review kicking around somewhere.

Nicolas Jordan
10-14-2006, 12:27 PM
Cinema 4D was released as a 64-bit application in may 2005. 64-bit Lightwave wasn't released until august 1st the same year. Houdini was released as a 64-bit app way back in 2002. So no, Lightwave was not the first 64-bit 3D application.

Thanks for the correction on 64-bit. I just assumed it was since it was demoed with XP 64-bit when it was in beta.

Nicolas Jordan
10-14-2006, 12:30 PM
Lightwave first with subd's?

wasnt Lightwave first with "transparent surfaces" also??

and maybe also "fog"?

my memory is bad, and Lightwave has been around for a long long time....

I added Subdivs. By fog do you mean Volumetrics? I think I remember hearing that Lightwave was the first to have volumetrics, can anyone confirm this?

cresshead
10-14-2006, 12:38 PM
cool but lightscape was doing real radiosity calcs

[btw just wrote that with my nintendo ds....broswing newtek's site via the DS browser!..cool!]

okay back to a real keyboard!

SaturnX
10-14-2006, 12:40 PM
http://www.planetx64.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5&Itemid=49

Frack me, alittle BSG content in there to...

*Pete*
10-14-2006, 01:32 PM
By fog do you mean Volumetrics?

actually, i did mean "fog"...i remember that it was some mathematical genious who had been working for years to be able to have fog in our 3d scenes.

im telling you..lightwave has been around a loooong time ;)

but im not sure lightwave got it first...

wp_capozzi
10-14-2006, 02:42 PM
Were built in lensflares a Lightwave first?
I'm trying to remember way back to about v3.1 on the Amiga. I recently watched the old "Revolution" demo video from way back then. It reminds me of where and why I started in 3D. There was a long list of new things on there. I'll have to watch it again to see if there are more firsts.

Regards,
Bill C.
Dedicated Digital

robk
10-14-2006, 08:33 PM
Lightscape was doing radiosity way before LW I believe. I still have Lightscape 3.2 (the Last version ) on my computer. Great package (before the Autodesk empire bought it and then stole the good part to put in VIs and MAx and then abandoned Lightscape) except for how you had to build the models.
Here is a snippet from cadoutpost. Notice the last line
I also dug up a render sample from probably around 1995. In it's day Lightscape had no peers

Lightscape

Lightscape by Discreet Logic
Lightscape, also known simply as Discreet Logic "Light" is a state of the art DesignWorkshop-compatible radiosity rendering system, published by Discreet Logic of Montreal (acquired by Autodesk).
Lightscape struggles a bit with complex daylight scenes including direct sunlight, but like Radiance it is extremely accurate, and often it is more efficient than Radiance for accurately rendering interiors with many light sources. Lightscape is equally at home rendering models from DesignWorkshop Professional, AutoCAD, or 3D Studio, which helps make it a good investment for larger firms.

Although Lightscape is fairly complex to use, the price is reasonable for the amount and quality of technology in the product. (Windows 95/NT CD-ROM). Discontinued at CADOutpost due to Autodesk policies

Paul Brunson
10-14-2006, 08:46 PM
Actually I think Lightwave may have been the first to 64-bit. If I recall back around version 4.0 Lightwave was available for Dec Alpha and SGI machines which were 64-bit machines. I assume that Lightwave ran in 64-bit on them.

Anyone out there from those "bye-gone" days care to comment?

prospector
10-14-2006, 09:48 PM
I think your right about the 64 bit and Alphas and SGI.
I remember that too.

dballesg
10-15-2006, 01:00 AM
It was LightWave the first one on have HDRI support along Radiance, right?

RedBull
10-15-2006, 01:40 AM
Houdini was released as a 64-bit app way back in 2002. So no, Lightwave was not the first 64-bit 3D application.

I agree C4D was released first, but Houdini still has no 64bit version for Windows. (if we are to make a windows distinction)

Also Lightwave may be one of the first commercial 3D applications to offer vertex displacement, (although i can't be sure) unlike Micropolygon displacement used by others.

Captain Obvious
10-15-2006, 04:02 AM
I agree C4D was released first, but Houdini still has no 64bit version for Windows. (if we are to make a windows distinction)
Why would we make that distiction? Both Lightwave and Cinema 4D started on the Amiga, you know...

toonafish
10-15-2006, 06:01 AM
Ha ! Lightwave was, and still is the first with a Hub.

:D

Nicolas Jordan
10-15-2006, 08:04 AM
Ha ! Lightwave was, and still is the first with a Hub.

:D

The Hub, the glue that binds the program together! True that it is the first and only 3D program I know of to be designed this way. ;)

Bog
10-15-2006, 08:06 AM
Skimming over the features to the pointy end of the stick:

First to bring desktop 3D to episodic telly, I do believe (cheers, Ron-and-the-boys).

That sorta did it for me. Ahhh, halcyon days. Do you remember how MUCH spaceshippy sci-fi was being made back then in the wake of B5? Yeah, a lot of it was codswallop, but you couldn't make that much TV sci-fi without getting a few gems.

*nostalgic sigh*

Nicolas Jordan
10-15-2006, 08:07 AM
Actually I think Lightwave may have been the first to 64-bit. If I recall back around version 4.0 Lightwave was available for Dec Alpha and SGI machines which were 64-bit machines. I assume that Lightwave ran in 64-bit on them.

Anyone out there from those "bye-gone" days care to comment?

Can anyone else confirm that Lightwave was a true 64-bit app on Dec Alpha and SGI boxes?

Nicolas Jordan
10-15-2006, 08:24 AM
Iv'e been doing some digging and discovered that Lightwave 7 introduced the industry's first Flexible Precision Image Format. An explanation on it can be found here http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/developer/LW80/8lwsdk/docs/filefmts/fpbm.html

Thor Simpson
10-15-2006, 08:31 AM
Lightwave was first at a realistic consumer price. :)

It was also the first packaged with a full video production suite.

RedBull
10-15-2006, 03:57 PM
Why would we make that distiction?

Well you seem to mention Houdini, and C4D....
But why then do you not count LW on the SGI/Alpha's?
As it was out before the other two......

Houdini doesn't have a 64bit version if you ask me.....
Not having a Windows version doesn't count for myself...

Bog
10-15-2006, 03:58 PM
But why then do you not count LW on the SGI/Alpha's?
As it was out before the other two......

*lips crunch up*

Sir. We always count our fallen. Our honoured dead are not gone, so long as we remember.

*hears a call for John Ezra Dahlquist*

I answer for him!

;)