PDA

View Full Version : URGENT! Screamernet II Troubleshooting needed

SuperDmon
10-13-2006, 03:15 PM
I've set up ScreamerNet II a couple different ways and have it functioning, but am having some strange results.

item#1: I have my scenefile set to save out 24bit .tga files into a shared directory L:\Screamernet_frames. The frames show up, but they are all in the .flx extension and not the .tga like I specified.

item#2: This is the IMPORTANT one. I have ScreamerNet II rendering, however, the nodes are not rendering at the same time! They just sit there and wait until one gets done, then another one starts, then it waits again, then another one starts, etc.. ??? With this, I could have 8 nodes, but gain no rendering time because the other nodes are just sitting there! :-(

Any help would be greatly appreciated.. here is what my LWSN shortcut looks like on the main machine:

L:\Programs\lwsn.exe -2 -cL:\Config\ L:\command\job1 L:\command\ack1

And the other node is as follows:

L:\Programs\lwsn.exe -2 -cL:\Config\ L:\command\job2 L:\command\ack2

If anyone needs anymore info I'm happy to give it, I have my entire Lightwave directory mapped to the L:\ drive.

SuperDMon

HELP!

SuperDmon
10-13-2006, 09:37 PM
Some specs about my machine. I'm running a dual core, dual processor AMD Opteron setup with 2 gigs of RAM and Windows XP 64-bit edition.

SuperDMon

JML
10-13-2006, 10:18 PM
first to make sure screamernet can see the config files, remove the \ after config, like that :
L:\Programs\lwsn.exe -2 -cL:\Config L:\command\job1 L:\command\ack1
instead of :
L:\Programs\lwsn.exe -2 -cL:\Config\ L:\command\job1 L:\command\ack1

(if it cannot see the config files, it might not be able to load the tga saver)

I think XP supports only 5 connections to other computers, so if you have more than 5 computers, you won't be able to access it all of them at once.

if you want to access more computers at once, you need WindowsServer2003 which allow
lots of connections (unlimted? not sure, but a lot)

hope this helps..

SuperDmon
10-16-2006, 07:17 AM
JLM,

Thanks for the note on the trailing slash. It now *does* recognize the .tga extension. I still have the problem where the nodes do not render at the same time. The screamerNet init messages always say:

(when cpu 1 is loading scene): Waiting for CPU 2 to load Scene
(when cpu 1 is rendering): Waiting for CPU 1 to render scene
^- during this time, cpu 2 is just sitting there

(when cpu 2 is rendering, cpu 1 just sits idle)

Currently I only have the 2 nodes set up, so I am not going over the possible 5 limitation of Windows XP. Do you think my Windows XP 64 bit edition OS could be causing this problem?

SupD

Thanks for the help!

JML
10-16-2006, 07:36 AM
about win64 being the problem, I can't tell you, I did not try it yet...

I'm not sure what's not working, but lightwave network rendering is known
to be unstable and hard to setup correctly..

ButterflyNetRender and tequilascream are network controller for lightwave and
are pretty good. (not free)