PDA

View Full Version : ground

celmar
10-13-2006, 12:54 PM
I don't know if it's a thread for the WIP section, or here, but as my questions are mostly strictly technical, I post here; as you can see, all the lamp, and the djinn, are on a ground; but I should want an "infinite plane", endless; is it possible to create that in layout?... and also, as I conceive that picture as a "getting hand" on layout, I should want to use on all, except the ground, variations of a cooper rather "tired", and with some dirt and rust... is it possible to start from presets, and of couirse to "play" after, around these presets? and wher to find these!... thank you!!!

JamesCurtis
10-13-2006, 01:54 PM
Look for the plugin:

TB's Infinite Plane

Do a search on Flay or google it as I can't remember what the site name is at the moment. makes an infinite plane in Layout that can be textured. only thing I don't like about it is that you can't see the plane in Layout at all, making it hard to interact with visually.

Sekhar
10-13-2006, 02:20 PM
One cheat to get an infinite plane is to parent your plane to the camera. As long as the plane occupies the full camera view initially, it'll look infinite to the moving camera because it moves with it. If you use texture, remember to use world coordinates (flag in the texture window) - that way, the texture will move even though the plane itself doesn't.

For surface presets, open the surface editor (F5) in Layout and hit F8 to launch the preset menu - lots of good looking presets to get you started. And yes, you can tweak them to your taste (and even save them as your own presets for later use).

Silkrooster
10-13-2006, 05:26 PM
I don't know if it's a thread for the WIP section, or here, but as my questions are mostly strictly technical, I post here; as you can see, all the lamp, and the djinn, are on a ground; but I should want an "infinite plane", endless; is it possible to create that in layout?... and also, as I conceive that picture as a "getting hand" on layout, I should want to use on all, except the ground, variations of a cooper rather "tired", and with some dirt and rust... is it possible to start from presets, and of couirse to "play" after, around these presets? and wher to find these!... thank you!!!
Creating a plane using the box tool can work by giving it an extremely large value for the x and z axis. Try over 10 km. As the eye can see about 1 mile (flat ground), setting the plane further than the eye can see will look infinate. The only problem you would have using this method is the limitation of saslight as it would not be able to fill the entire plane and look realistic. But you can apply saslight in patches.
Also using mountains, buildings, trees, ect can help cover the edge of the plane near the horizon.
TB's Infinate plane that JamesCurtis mentioned is the fastest to setup as it allows you to stay in layout, but I beleive you can not apply saslight to it. But it does accept surface textures.
Silk

T-Light
10-13-2006, 06:38 PM
Silkrooster -

The only problem you would have using this method is the limitation of saslight as it would not be able to fill the entire plane and look realistic
It's not difficult to do these days but you've got me completely confused Silk :D, I don't understand some of the email from celmar but where on earth did you pull saslite from?

Silkrooster
10-13-2006, 11:24 PM
Ah, I ***-umed, normally when I think of an infinate plane, I think of land. I guess I didn't look at his image good enough.:o
Silk