PDA

View Full Version : Problem: Catmull-Clark-Subd and weightmap

serge
10-13-2006, 07:53 AM
I applied a weightmap to a CC-subdivided object, but the result is not what I hoped for: see pictures.

picture 1: Object not subdivided
picture 2: Object with Subpatched subd's
picture 3: Object with Catmull-Clark subd's

Any ideas?

Sekhar
10-13-2006, 08:17 AM
Only edge weights work with CC at this point...hopefully the next update will fix this.

serge
10-13-2006, 08:45 AM
Only edge weights work with CC at this point...hopefully the next update will fix this.
Okay, thank you Sekhar.

@Newtek:
I can understand that you didn't put this in the manual, but why didn't you include a document together with LW9, telling that some new features still have problems/limitations? It's not very nice to let your clients struggle with new features only to find out that it isn't properly/fully working yet.

SP00
10-14-2006, 10:46 AM
or built a popup message into the program.

taproot2
10-14-2006, 02:18 PM
This is just one of many reasons studios, big and small, are very likely not to be spending money on LW seats. The bell of the curve puts LW into hobby status. Newtek has turned LW into the bryce of 3d modeling and animation packages. I say this wanting LW to step it up...ignoring the facts wont put LW on par with the compitition. Save your money, buy a package that works better.
cp

*Pete*
10-14-2006, 02:32 PM
...there is not a 3d-program, or any other kind of program, that is absolutely flawless.

you can get the job done without CC-subd's, im sure that Newtek was aware of the problem but i dont see why they should keep LW 9 from being released when this is not a "critical" problem to solve.

and im convinced that it will be sorted out by the next update.

serge
10-14-2006, 03:04 PM
...there is not a 3d-program, or any other kind of program, that is absolutely flawless.

you can get the job done without CC-subd's, im sure that Newtek was aware of the problem but i dont see why they should keep LW 9 from being released when this is not a "critical" problem to solve.

and im convinced that it will be sorted out by the next update.
That's not the point. I didn't say LW9 shouldn't have been released. The point is that it's simple for Newtek to release a list of issues regarding new features that still have to be addressed. This will save their customers loads of time and annoyance.

I just don't understand this policy. Well actually I do; it has to do with sales. But withholding information is a bad and stupid policy in my opinion.

*Pete*
10-14-2006, 04:43 PM
with that, i agree 100%

it would be helpfull to have a place to see/read about acknowledged bugs and estimated times or plans for fixing them.

SP00
10-14-2006, 09:02 PM
Yeah, I agree, it not a problem that a feature is not fully implemented yet, as long as they are letting their customers know. I ran into a few such problems where things are not fully implemented with the new features and I spend a whole day on each of those issues trying to figure out why it doesn't work, when the simple answer was that it wasn't implemented yet. Very very frustrating trying to figure out if I should invest time into figuring it out or finding a different method. Without the help of others on this forum, I would be wasting a lot of time trying to find out how to use a feature, when it would be impossible for now.

Like I said, it is not a problem that the features are not supported yet, I just want a central location where I can find out. The easiest and friendliest place would be an active pop-up message box that tells me the feature is not implemented yet.

I hope the next 9.x update will implement this.