PDA

View Full Version : WinXP installation problem

phrick
02-18-2003, 04:29 PM
I have just built a new computer which seems to be working fine, except for one tiny detail, the Windows XP installation... :mad:

When the installation progress bar reaches 10-20% (this is different for each try) I get the following error message:

"Setup can not copy the file: blablabla.bla"

I have restarted the installation several times, the installer gives me the same error, but with different files each time.

I might add that the exact same thing happened to a friend about a year ago when he tried to install Windows 2000. He never solved it..

All my parts (memory, harddrive, motherboard, CDROM etc.) are brand new (and I'm pretty sure that they're all working), the Windows XP CD is perfectly clean and free from dust and scratches.

I've tried to remove and swap memory modules and all that jazz.

Does anybody have a clue or a clever suggestion? Anything?

Thanks for your time!

Tommi
02-19-2003, 03:21 PM
Well, I'd guess, that your CD is somehow defect. Maybe you should try to copy its contents to a hard disk to check that. When transferred to hard disk you may try installing it from that location instead using the CD, but I'm not sure whether that works with XP...

phrick
02-20-2003, 05:39 AM
Thanks a lot for your tip Tommi, but we managed to solve it anyway.

I thought I'd post this, in case someone else ever gets the same problem..

We switched the CD player to an older one during the Windows installation...

I don't know why my new CD player didn't work properly.. Maybe it ran too fast for its own good (48x), perhaps the computer couldn't handle the high speed without any proper drivers (which are quite hard to install without an operating system?)

Anyway, I switched it back after the WinXP installation was complete, and it's now running without any problems..

Well, got a new computer that's waiting for me.. Gotta go!
Have a nice day, I sure will! :)