PDA

View Full Version : What's the first thing you do?

Chilton
10-12-2006, 04:24 PM
Hi,

When you first upgrade to a new version of LW, what are the first things you do? You know, to feel at home.

Or have we NAILED the default settings so perfectly that you don't feel like changing a thing?

-Chilton

harlan
10-12-2006, 05:32 PM
Generally, I customize the layout of the windows to my liking, and then modify the keyboard shortcuts to match the rest of the industry.

Having used Lightwave for years, I've been comfortable with the key shortcuts. Now, however, there's a little standardization amongst the other apps that I use in terms of their keyboard shortcuts; so I always redo LW's keys to match the other apps.

The ability to save out the key mappings is nice, but it would be cool if you guys had some built-in layouts to more closely match the Maya, XSI, Modo, etc.. key layouts.

Oh, sorry... back on topic...

I used to scan the plugins and make sure they're all up and running, but the auto-scan feature has made that process tremendously easier.

Hmmm... so I guess the main things I do are reconfigure the layout, menus, and keyboard shortcuts.

jameswillmott
10-12-2006, 05:52 PM
Reload plugins then reconfigure all the menus and shortcuts to use the non-standard plugs as well as any specific changes I find helps with workflow. ( Like replacing the RMB menu in modeler with all the Selection commands )

Darth Mole
10-13-2006, 12:40 AM
Ditto. (For the record, I use c, o, b and l for camera, objects, bones and lights instead of the SHIFT- versions. I think with any command you use regularly it's easier to use an un-modified keystroke.)

And then when FPrime, Vertibevel, LWCAD (among many others) are installed I run some benchmark scenes to see how (if) things have changed.

Then I just doodle around until I get my first fatal crash - usually takes a couple of mins working with plug-ins or new features - sigh heavily and then go watch TV.

mike_stening
10-13-2006, 03:10 AM
pretty much nothing, especially now , as has been mentioned, that the plugins are auto scanned. the only setup change i make is to modeler with the perspective vies and i change the background colour from grey (boring!:hey: ) to blue (not so boring :boogiedow ) thats pretty much it, any extra plugins that i have for modeler that work on the intel get loaded if necessary and added to the relevant menu.

Weepul
10-13-2006, 04:50 AM
Or have we NAILED the default settings so perfectly that you don't feel like changing a thing?
Not so much that; rather, when I started using LightWave I knew little enough about its specific workflows (coming from a very different 3D program) to make much of any changes to the interface. Then, as I learned the program, I grew accustomed to it.

First things I do: switch Modeler to the 7.5 keyboard shortcut set, turn off subpatch guides and cages, set the perspective viewport to have independent visibility and disable the grid in that view. I've also rearranged a few of the tools (such as putting BandGlue and the original BandSaw along with BandSaw Pro, and making Smooth Scale available.) I'll also crank up the undo level and increase the render segment memory limit and turn the texture preview res up to 512 (Modeler) or 1024 (Layout). If the field chart and safe zones are active, I'll turn 'em off.

Dodgy
10-13-2006, 05:16 AM
Modeler:

Setup the ctrl-numeric keypad view controls to the following config:

7 - wireframe mode
8 - texture wire
9 -texture
6 - weightmap

1 - front
2 - top
3 - right
4 - persp
5 - uv

Turn off cages and guides in the display panel.
Set units to Metric (so you get 10 cm instead of 100mm)
Set error messages to High (since medium is broken in the current version. You do know that it used to be that the warning level corresponded to a particular type of message in lscript? So if you set it to low, all messages were shown in popups, medium meant warnings and errors were shown as popups and infos were displayed in the staus bar, high meant only errors showed up as popups. This was very useful to us scripters. Also Errors halted the script completely, but this is now broken too, so the script carries on executing! THis really needs fixing!)

Layout:

Scan all plugins and load my own menu tabs and shortcut keys. (it might be helpful if there were maya/xsi etc key configs which you could load for others though).
I tend to assign all the useful commands which don't have a keyboard shortcut to one tab, as it's easier to use than flicking between the normal tabs at the top of the screen.

Display panel:
turn on all the opengl settings for nice views of my objects.

Add games settings to the Render settings like 256x256 rez for example.

I've included my menus as an example.

Kuzey
10-13-2006, 05:56 AM
Use the old version because the new one is freaking me out :boogiedow

ps. That's 8.5 since I can't load 9 :D

And all the above.

Speaking of "cages and guides", it would be cool if we can place a shortcut for items in the viewport shading popup in Modeler. So, place the cursor to the viewport you want and press a short key to change from texture to wireframe etc.

Kuzey

Wickster
10-13-2006, 10:23 AM
Load my separate Plugins folder (both)
Undo level to at least 50 (Layout and Modeler)
Load up the Studio Menu and Keyboard Presets (Layout and Modeler)
Add my own saved menu configs (Layout and Modeler)
Turn off subpatch cages (Modeler)
Independent Zoom and Position on Panels (Modeler)
Assign "Alt+R" to open Render Globals (Layout)

There are other things I do but those are really specific preference on how I want to work like changing the selection colors like point=red, edges=red and faces=light green. Plus other things like assign a buch of plugins and other commands to the Alt+alpha keysets, like Alt+B for bridge, Alt+V for Set Map Value and Alt+F for Multishift.

eblu
10-13-2006, 01:06 PM
Hi,

When you first upgrade to a new version of LW, what are the first things you do? You know, to feel at home.

-Chilton

I've given up changing the defaults. it generates more opportunities for lightwave to ruin your day. Thinks like: changing the menu, changing interface colors, changing hot keys, the default LWS scene, every one of them has screwed me. either pref files go corrupt, an new install wipes out changes, or Lightwave develops a bug that renders the current customization into a problem... that's only solution is a re-install.
I try to be as spare as possible when changing the default settings, Lightwave is notoriously fragile when it comes to config files.

gerry_g
10-13-2006, 01:34 PM
Do variations on most of the above, but very surprised no one has mentioned – 'Copy and paste all command liens for Hub, Modeler and Layout" – I can remember a time long long ago ( I believe I was still in short trousers) when the hub actually worked properly ;-)

Scazzino
10-13-2006, 01:50 PM
Yup,

I copy my License.key and all the cmdLine files from my old programs folder to the new one.

I create a Configs folder inside the new LightWave folder, which my cmdLines are directed to. My cmdLine files also use the -0 switch to disable the hub.

I copy my PFrime.p and FPrime.txt files from my old plugins folder to the new. Need that FPrime.txt file or FPrime will crash on open if you let LightWave auto-scan it into the plugins database...

I then set the menus of both Modeler and Layout to the studio set.

I set my viewports to a quad view.

I set render threads to 8 and segment memory to 512.

I turn off Play at Exact rate.

I set Bounding Box threshold to 1000000, turn OFF Show Motion Paths, show IK Chains and Show SubPatch Cages.

I turn on Show Safe Areas and Show Field Chart

I then quit Layout and Modeler to be sure they save the configs...

Then I'm good to go... :D

Scazzino
10-13-2006, 02:43 PM
Another thing I have to do every time I open a scene that I want to make an animated preview of is a real PITA...

I hit command-shift-3 to open Snapz pro, with a marque set to 640x480 and aligned to the top left of my 3D camera viewport. I then have to visually see where the bottom right falls... cancel it and then drag LW's 4-viewport intersection up to the left near where the Snapz pro marquee was. Then hit it again to see how far off I am... I do this a couple of times till my camera viewport is 640x480... that way when I go to make an animation preview, it'll be the right size to cut into my rough animatic...

It's a real pain... I've included a solution/suggestion (letting us set the animation preview size directly) in the "what do we expect" thread... ;)

Lightwolf
10-13-2006, 05:07 PM
I've included a solution/suggestion (letting us set the animation preview size directly) in the "what do we expect" thread... ;)
I guess this one goes way back to the suggestion of allowing for OpenGL as a render mode... using camera settings as well as normal image/animation savers.

Cheers,
Mike

toby
10-13-2006, 07:43 PM
Hi,

-Chilton
The very first thing I do is turn off Frame End Beep, as I yell "DIE....while the others watch!!" or something like that - I'm not really conscious when I do it, but that's what they tell me...

oh yea, and "I use c, o, b and l for camera, objects, bones and lights instead of the SHIFT- versions. I think with any command you use regularly it's easier to use an un-modified keystroke." also F4 instead of cntrl-F4, etc. - I load my shortcuts.