PDA

View Full Version : Another Mclaren Project

SP00
10-12-2006, 12:34 PM
Hey guys, finished my Mclaren project. I took some class and was forced to model this in Max, but I tranferred it over to Lightwave and redid the surface in LW and rendered it in LW. I have to say the results is much better than the results I got from the Max render. Its not perfect, but I think it might be close enough. Critiques are welcome.

***updated image

CMT
10-12-2006, 12:55 PM
I think there could be a few things with lighting and the surface setup which would make the whole image look a bit more realistic. Even though... I still dig this a lot! Very cool!

SP00
10-12-2006, 01:04 PM
please let me know what can be done to improve it.

Tank
10-12-2006, 01:14 PM
Looks like a great start, but here's some things to look at.

There's one thing you see a lot in 3D-rendered vehicles that's a dead giveaway as CGI. There is no deformation to the bottoms of the tires. It gives the render a feeling that the car has no weight. The tires should be slightly flattened on the bottom and bulged on the sides at the bottom to show the weight of the car sitting on the tires. Take a look at the tires on a real car sitting on the ground. This will vary somewhat based on the hardness of the rubber and the inflation, but it's always there.

Your ground clearance seems high compared to photos I found on a web search.

The shadow under the car needs to be darker, especially towards the center. Are you using multiple lights or a single light with radiosity?

SP00
10-12-2006, 01:20 PM
I'm actually using 2 area lights here with no radiosity. With the 2nd light, I turned off the shadows, to prevent shadow casting in areas I don't want, but not sure if that gives it an unnatural look or not. I do agree that shadow under the car looks too linear.

I thinking I should have put this in the work in progress section :)

CMT
10-12-2006, 01:27 PM
please let me know what can be done to improve it.

If realism is what you are going for, then go with a light probe image. Maybe only set it's intensity to 70% or so - you'll have to experiment. But then use one spotlight as a main light (if you are wanting a sunny day look). Set radiosity to background only (fastest of the radiosity settings but won't take into account reflected light from surrounding objects. Still looks good).

Also maybe add the fast fresnel effect to metallic and glass shaders. That will give a more realistic reflected appearance.

There's other things you can do as well to increase the realistic feel like adding environmental reflections and such.

Andyjaggy
10-12-2006, 02:55 PM
If you aren't going to use radiosity then you can really improve the image by putting some negative point lights under the wheels, and maybe a negative area light under the car and exclude everything but the plane it is sitting on. Oh and yeah the modeling looks great though.

Tank
10-12-2006, 07:16 PM
I thinking I should have put this in the work in progress section :)

I wouldn't worry about it. There's always room for improvement.

SP00
10-12-2006, 09:11 PM
Thanks for the advice guys, I'm going to try a few methods suggested here and I'll post something up for you guys to look at soon. Hopefully tomorrow.

SP00
10-12-2006, 10:55 PM
Alright, here is my latest render, thanks for the help again :)

Tank
10-13-2006, 09:07 AM
Looks much better.

Andyjaggy
10-13-2006, 01:53 PM
Looking much better, there are still some shadow issues under the car though. The shadows are dark by the wheels and then there is this light ring and then they go dark again. I do like your car paint material, care to share how you set it up? I can never seem to get car paint to look right.

SP00
10-13-2006, 02:57 PM
Hey Andyjaggy,

I know what you mean by the bright spot in the shadow, but the bright spot is actually accurate due to how I setup my funky lights. However, it might look better without it. Rather than re-render it, I think next time, I will photoshop it out.

For the car surface, I used gradients to create a fresnel effect with the reflection and the diffuse channel. The specularity and gloss level will vary a bit, but you can play with that until you get the desire waxiness. Also, give it something to reflect, which can be setup in the environment tab. I don't know how much of this is new to you, but I hope it helped.

Andyjaggy
10-17-2006, 02:17 PM
It doesn't matter how accurate it is if it looks wrong :) It would be very easy to fix in photoshop and probably much easier then trying to fix it in Lightwave.

Exception
10-21-2006, 05:44 PM
First, kudos on your modeling, very well done!

Now for some criticism:
The car paint is good, but the glass is um, not so good. It looks like a shiny garbage bag to me. Tinted glass is very dark, but reflective as crazy. Use a fresnel shader, color filters and take a good look at some photos of cars with tinted glass. If it's supposed to be normal glass, which it has to be by law, at least of the windshield, and you do not want your interior to show up, then you will need something bright to reflect.

SP00
10-24-2006, 07:12 PM
Hey guys, made some adjustments with the suggestions here. Here is the image.

Exception
10-25-2006, 09:23 PM
Hey I like the glass now, much better!

Andyjaggy
10-28-2006, 08:28 AM
Much better, you just need to model the interior now, which would help a lot.