PDA

View Full Version : How to animate gun fire??

Steffen
10-11-2006, 11:12 PM
Hi everybody I am trying to make my twin turret fire a few rounds but I find it very hard to animate every shot by hand. Is there a easy way to do that? I experimented with particels. I used collision object in front of the barrels that hit the emitter in the barrel. Every time the collision object hits the barrels a particel is emitted however if i render a frame particles disappear (not all just a few). So I gave up :( Might Tracer from Worley labs be an alternative? Has anyone tried that yet? Any good? Worth the money?

Thanks in advance.

munky
10-12-2006, 02:13 PM
Hi There,

If you don't get The Taft collection with tracer in it then you can do it like this(see attached file) but as the shells are parented to the barrell, they will swing about once they have left it, if it's moving, but if they are quick and the shot is fairly tight then you should get away with it.

and also a scene with particles (you need to add Hypervoxels to get HV particles to show up) this uses a texture to animate the birthrate, but you could use an envelope and cycle it. and if you want shells then use FX_Linker.

apologies for the lack of fineness but hopefully the scenes might help.

Oh and Tracer is pretty good but you have to buy it as a set but if you have the cash and a need. Although..... Tracer is a pixel filter so you won't see it in reflections or through transparencey and the shots are not affected by lightwaves lights or shadows, so you pretty much have glowing stuff (which is controlled from within Tracer.

regards

paul

ACLOBO
10-12-2006, 03:09 PM
Are you actually looking for a tracer to be emitted from the barrel of the gun or are you looking for the muzzle-flash? If you are looking for the muzzle flash, you could use a series of non-contiguous pictures of "sparky explosions" transparency mapped to a single plane in front of the barrels. Since the images are of the same explosion sequence, but the frames may be out of order, this will give you a nice chaotic "burst" effect...

-Adrian

SplineGod
10-12-2006, 04:17 PM
You can envelope the birthrate on and off. You can even use a slider to do it.

Steffen
10-13-2006, 08:00 AM
Thanks for the scene and the replies. Please have a look at the two pictures attached. In the first you can see my turret with two emitters and a collisioin object, it fires at is suposed to be (after I pressed start on the fx-panel). now when I render the frame, a few of my particles dissapear (8 in the first picture only 5 left in the second). This drives me crazy!!! Everything in there works fine except that those particles dissapier when I try to render a frame. Any ideas?

Darth Mole
10-13-2006, 09:16 AM
For the record, yeah, Taft's Tracer is pretty cool. Easy to setup, quick to render. I must make a scene that uses it, now I think about it...

bob anderson
10-17-2006, 04:51 PM
Aclobo's technique works really well. I remember the old trick from Babylon 5 using ill-sequenced images. One thing many people don't know is that LW sequences don't have to be sequential. The Foundation guys were using the "pyromania" film sequences at the time. You could make a directory and save one image as frame 0001, then another as frame 0003, and another as frame0006etc.. and LW automaticly holds the last found frame.. this makes it really easy to create that chaotic muzzle blast effect.

BTW: I've used the exact same technique with traditional animation. I just drew several different sparky, or smokey, or flashy images and cycled them... It worked great.

Bob Anderson