PDA

View Full Version : Bootcamp..oh..what a pain..

al3d
10-11-2006, 07:59 PM
OK..got my macpro..but since UB ain't ready...tough about using bootcamp...BUT, when installing windows, when i get the window to choose the parition..IT AINT WORKING..it sais it is not working with WindowXP...will only install on a second HD i have..but then the Mac Driver CD will not work since it's trying to install on a C:/ drive..and the windowsXP drives end-up been a G or E i think...

anyone had similar problems?

Chilton
10-11-2006, 09:04 PM
Hi,

I had similar problems with BootCamp. In my case, I was trying to update XP (which installed, but doesn't work with the Mac drivers), with SP2 (which would not allow me to update). It turns out that you need XP with Service Pack 2 as your first install, at least in my experience.

HTH,
-Chilton

Drocket
10-12-2006, 04:26 AM
I am probably going to get shot down in flames for this suggestion :)

I have ordered LW and waiting for delivery so haven't tried this yet but you could try installing Parallels Desktop on you Mac and running LW in that (not sure if there are compatibility issues with the dongle etc)? You will get a hit on performance but I don't know how much.

I develop software on Windows but have used Macs for a while now and bought a Mac Pro to replace both my Windows machine and aging G4, I bought parallels and have had no issues with it running the windows apps I need on the Mac. I use it mainly for Visual Studio 2005 development and it runs fine.

I do know some users have had issues with it so you might be best downloading the demo first. I'm not sure if I am allowed to put the link on the forum so you can either google parallels desktop or let me know you want the link.

By the way I am not affiliated with the parallels team, just a happy user of the software.

Now all I need is for LW to arrive :)

Drocket.

avkills
10-12-2006, 07:30 AM
The only problem with running it in Parallels at the moment is that it has no hardware GPU / OpenGL support. Once that gets added then I am sure that is how most people will do it.

-mark

Largemedium
10-12-2006, 11:10 AM
The only problem with running it in Parallels at the moment is that it has no hardware GPU / OpenGL support. Once that gets added then I am sure that is how most people will do it.

-mark

It also hogs a lot of system resources. Not a good thing when you're trying to squeeze all the power out of your machine that is possible. Booting directly into Windows is the best option for Lightwave until the UB comes out.

Drocket
10-13-2006, 12:55 AM
Both true, but I don't want to put Windows on my Mac so when LW is delivered I guess I will have to power up my Windows machine :( until we get the ub version of LW.

Drocket.

amigo
10-14-2006, 03:53 PM
What I have done to install Windows on my Mac Pro was to pull the OS X drive out (Mac Pro is great for that, just slide the drawer out) and then install Windows using the slipstream CD onto the other drive.

I do not use BootCamp, nor it's needed it when running a 2 hdd configuration. And do not use the Driver CD that Apple supplies, it only causes problems with stuff like wireless keyboard/mouse, etc. I've simply gathered all the drivers needed myself and installed them manually.

John the Geek
10-15-2006, 01:28 PM
and then install Windows using the slipstream CD onto the other drive.

I do not use BootCamp, nor it's needed it when running a 2 hdd configuration. And do not use the Driver CD that Apple supplies, it only causes problems with stuff like wireless keyboard/mouse, etc. I've simply gathered all the drivers needed myself and installed them manually.

Well, if you had used the BootCamp 1.1.1 drivers you'd no longer need to slipstream anything. It would just work with the supplied drivers.

My bluetooth keyboard and wireless Mighty Mouse were also fine during the Windows Install. Everything went very smooth.

=)

Largemedium
10-15-2006, 04:07 PM
Well, if you had used the BootCamp 1.1.1 drivers you'd no longer need to slipstream anything. It would just work with the supplied drivers.

My bluetooth keyboard and wireless Mighty Mouse were also fine during the Windows Install. Everything went very smooth.

=)

I used bootcamp and my install went okay, but I used a wired keyboard and mouse during the install. Now I have everything setup, my mac wireless keyboard doesn't work going back and forth between windows and OSX unless I turn it off and back on after the boot. Not a big deal, but it's sort of a silly hassle.

Is your bluetooth keyboard working without have to cycle it off and on when switching OS's? If so, how'd you do that?

amigo
10-17-2006, 06:40 PM
When I installed Windows, there was no BootCamp 1.1.1 and the one available was broken, so a slipstream disc was a necessity. :)

In any case it worked fine for me without BootCamp and no problems with wireless kbd/mouse setup...

royL
10-17-2006, 08:49 PM
Has anyone noticed if after installing and running windows on the MacBook Pro, back on OsX the cooling fans runs at top speed constantly?

Maybe is Just me:jam:

Chilton
10-17-2006, 09:12 PM
Has anyone noticed if after installing and running windows on the MacBook Pro, back on OsX the cooling fans runs at top speed constantly?

Maybe is Just me:jam:

I think it's similar to what happens if you visit a circus and fall in the elephant pen. Sure, you can take a bath, shave your head, and light yourself on fire, but you'll still unconciously be brushing phantom poop off your shoulders for a few days afterwards.

-Chilton

Largemedium
10-17-2006, 11:18 PM
I think it's similar to what happens if you visit a circus and fall in the elephant pen. Sure, you can take a bath, shave your head, and light yourself on fire, but you'll still unconciously be brushing phantom poop off your shoulders for a few days afterwards.

-Chilton

OMG! That's funny. Me thinks Chilton is working too hard on the UB.. :D

Chilton
10-18-2006, 08:30 AM
**Not that anything like that has ever happened to me.**

Hey, why's everyone backing away?

------

Does anyone know if the illuminating keyboard on the MacBook/MBP still illuminates under bootcamp?

John the Geek
10-18-2006, 11:29 AM
Does anyone know if the illuminating keyboard on the MacBook/MBP still illuminates under bootcamp?

Not on the MacBook Pro, not until the driver supports it.

MacBook doesn't have backlit keys to my understanding. =(