PDA

View Full Version : LW 9 Mac on a Powerbook G4/10.4.8?

jimmiedave
10-11-2006, 12:40 PM
Hi,

Just upgraded to Tiger, have moved everything over to the Powerbook for the time being. Lightwave and Modeler will not even start - I get hub crashes, Modeler crashes, etc. I haven't gotten Lightwave or Modeler to start a single time. Have reinstalled a couple times. Have cleaned old stuff out and reinstalled a couple times. No indication from the installers that anything's wrong.

Can any tell me if I should even be expecting this to work?

Clearly this machine is no speed-demon, but it's fine for most modelling and is nicely portable.

Thanks in advance...

CMT
10-11-2006, 01:04 PM
Last month I got my Mac Pro and LW9 works fine on that. Did you just move the files over or did you go through the installation process?

Yacomo
10-11-2006, 01:50 PM
Yes, it should run.

I am running LW9 on a Powerbook G4 15" with no major problems under OSX 10.4.8.

First thing I would check is if there may be some problems with your dongle (try unplugging and see if LW starts then). Then I would repair disc permissions and eventually clear system caches with a tool like Onyx.

Chilton
10-11-2006, 03:07 PM
FWIW, a 15" G4 is one of the test platforms I'm using for the UB version. Runs great.

I'm a PowerBook/MacBook guy myself. I love the portability aspect, and the fact that my MBP is faster than my (admittedly older) dual G5 makes me very happy. I love my G5, don't get me wrong, but I'm sick of having a laptop that was so far behind the desktop machines in terms of processing power. I can't wait for the Core 2 Duo MBPs, which I suspect we'll see in November.

-Chilton

jimmiedave
10-12-2006, 06:52 AM
Well, I did just attempt to post a detailed reply, but the board apparently choked on it and made it disappear.

Short answer: No, opening LW without the key doesn't make a difference.

In Lightwave I get a blank grey window with a few gadgets, with a blank grey License Error window in front of it. Cursor turns in to a SPOD when over either window. Have to force-quit.

In Modeler I get blank grey Modeler and "Discovery Edition" windows and an instant crash with a CrashReporter dialog after that.

Is there a way I can verify I've pulled out every single bit of the current Lightwave and dongle installs and try again?

jeremyhardin
10-12-2006, 07:03 AM
eve3.framework problem?

(btw, i'm running on the 17" g4 1.5 GHz with 10.4.8, and successfully so long as there's no hub. :D )

Yacomo
10-12-2006, 08:11 AM
eve3.framework problem?

Ditto that! Eve3 is the dongle driver, IIRC there is a separate installer for it in LW9 that you can use to reinstall in case of trouble. Could be worth a try.

NickLambert
10-12-2006, 09:58 AM
Should I be expecting this to work?

Sure should. Jeremy & Yacomo are right with the Eve3 problem:
Latest driver here:

http://www.safenet-inc.com/support/files/SMD1.0.0.3.zip

Also make sure to trash all prefs!. (User/Library/Prefrences/)

com.newtek.LightWave.Layout.plist
com.newtek.LightWave.Modeler.plist
LightWave Extensions 9 Prefs
LightWave Hub 9 Prefs
LightWave Layout 9 Prefs
LightWave Modeler 9 Prefs

I'm running 9 fine on a 15" 1.33GHz PowerMac G4 with 10.4.8 :thumbsup:

jimmiedave
10-12-2006, 10:35 AM
Nope, installing the latest key driver and deleting all prefs only lets me see the apps fullscreen (blank grey and frozen with a SPOD for lightwave, a flash of grid view and an immediate crash and crashreporter dialog for Modeler).

Have tried with and without hub.

Again, can anyone tell me how to make sure I've removed all traces of the Lightwave apps before attempting a reinstall?

Thanks for the tips so far.

jeremyhardin
10-12-2006, 10:41 AM
Don't worry about a re-install just yet. Search the forums for topics on the eve3.framework file. There are detailed instructions on how to replace only that from the files on the CD or the downloaded files. I still suspect that this is the culprit.

jimmiedave
10-12-2006, 01:40 PM
I'm not going to lose anything in Lightwave by pulling it out and reinstalling - LW9 has not worked on this computer yet.

I have reinstalled the Eve3 stuff a bunch of times - but can't get Lightwave to do anything but crash whether there's a dongle plugged in or not.

Still looking for how to completely scrub the thing off the disk and start fresh - short of formatting the hard disk.

John the Geek
10-12-2006, 02:19 PM
I'd wipe it. Back up anything you need and format the drive.

=)

Chilton
10-12-2006, 02:36 PM
Hi JimmieDave,

If you email me the crash logs ( [email protected] ), I can probably tell you where the problem is.

-Chilton

jimmiedave
10-15-2006, 10:46 AM
It's on its way to you. First send bounced back to me - not sure why.

jimmiedave
10-18-2006, 09:54 AM
Haven't heard anything back or seen any new posts on the topic - and still can't get Lightwave or Modeler running.

NickLambert
10-18-2006, 10:12 AM
Still can't get Lightwave or Modeler running.

Ok, this is serious, so can you post all details of your PowerBook. I take it everything else run's fine?. The only thing I can think of at the moment is it's an early generation G4 with low spec graphics, or maybe a display setting...

We need to get to the bottom of this.

Chilton
10-18-2006, 11:26 AM
Haven't heard anything back or seen any new posts on the topic - and still can't get Lightwave or Modeler running.

Hi JimmieDave,

Could you please send that file again? I have not recieved it yet. [email protected] is the address to send it to.

-Chilton

NickLambert
10-18-2006, 01:00 PM
P.S. It's a good idea to have your machine config in your signiture :yoda:

jimmiedave
10-18-2006, 07:10 PM
OK, I've just forwarded the crash log for the 3rd time.

The machine isn't a speed demon, but it's a 1.5GHz G4 AL 15" Powerbook.

I've got 512MB RAM (yeah, I know I should have a ton more, but let's get the program to load before we concern ourselves with that, OK?)

The graphics hardware is ATI 64MB, don't know what it cross-refs to in a card.

Not fast, but fast enough. I was able to get what I needed to do completed with LW 8.

I have recently upgraded from Panther to Tiger 10.4.8 - I did the "Archive and Install" upgrade, so I theoretically have a clean system.

Chilton
10-18-2006, 08:00 PM
Hi Jimmie,

OK, I've just forwarded the crash log for the 3rd time.

Got it! Thanks!

The machine isn't a speed demon, but it's a 1.5GHz G4 AL 15" Powerbook.

Hey, my 15" 1.65Ghz G4 is still my favorite system.

I've got 512MB RAM (yeah, I know I should have a ton more, but let's get the program to load before we concern ourselves with that, OK?)

Indeed.

The graphics hardware is ATI 64MB, don't know what it cross-refs to in a card.

Not fast, but fast enough. I was able to get what I needed to do completed with LW 8.

I have recently upgraded from Panther to Tiger 10.4.8 - I did the "Archive and Install" upgrade, so I theoretically have a clean system.

Alright, here's the thing--this bug is most likely text (probably font, more specifically) related. There were a small army of evil text bugs that were squashed in the last month. This looks a lot like one of them.

Soon, we will enter the open beta phase. At that time, instructions will be posted all over the place about how to join up. Jimmie, I would greatly appreciate it if you signed up for the open beta, if for no other reason than to verify that this bug is fixed.

Thanks,
-Chilton

NickLambert
10-19-2006, 08:34 AM
Alright, here's the thing--this bug is most likely text (probably font, more specifically) related. There were a small army of evil text bugs that were squashed in the last month. This looks a lot like one of them.
-Chilton

As the only difference between your Mac & mine is your's is newer & faster with a little less RAM!. Look's like Chilton might have hit it, but why this bug is effecting you in such a terrible way is worrying.

Is there a way I can verify I've pulled out every single bit of the current Lightwave and dongle installs and try again?

As far as I know this is all you need to remove:

/Applications/Netwtek
/Library/Frameworks/Eve3.framework
/User/Library/Prefrences/com.newtek.LightWave.Layout.plist
/User/Library/Prefrences/com.newtek.LightWave.Modeler.plist
/User/Library/Prefrences/LightWave Extensions 9 Prefs
/User/Library/Prefrences/LightWave Hub 9 Prefs
/User/Library/Prefrences/LightWave Layout 9 Prefs
/User/Library/Prefrences/LightWave Modeler 9 Prefs

Having just read this:

Consider testing "Archive and Install" OS patches when doing the final testing. When people re-assemble the OS using this technique, it seems to displace things like eve3.
-T

You might want to consider a fresh 10.4 install...

jimmiedave
10-19-2006, 05:23 PM
You might want to consider a fresh 10.4 install...

Nick,

I greatly appreciate the list of installed items - I'll give removal a shot.

Since I AM on a fresh 10.4 install, and recall the heartache that was, I'm not quite ready to go there yet. Could lose everything, will certainly lose at least as much time as I spent upgrading from Panther.

Thanks again...

NickLambert
10-19-2006, 05:58 PM
Greatly appreciate the list of installed items - I'll give removal a shot.

No problem, hope this works :thumbsup:

jimmiedave
10-27-2006, 12:33 AM
Many thanks again for the removal list. I finally got time to play with this again.

I pulled out the items from the list which I could find, (note that there was a LW 9 prefs item that didn't appear on the list and there were other list items that didn't appear on the disk).

I also scoured the disk for all copies of the eve3 framework, receipts for eve3 and lightwave, and a mistakenly-installed copy of the Sentinel Macintosh Driver. I yanked 'em all.

I also used Linotype's great "FontExplorerX" to remove all non-system fonts from the System font folder, and to dump the font caches (FontExplorerX archives the fonts in a folder on your desktop).

I installed the eve3 framework 2.3.0, then Lightwave 9. I copied my license.key file into the Programs subfolder.

I edited the cmdLine switches to disable Hub (I don't understand how this product shipped in a state where you have to disable important functionality to use it at all...), plugged in the key and started Lightwave - and it worked great! Then Modeler finally came up!

Thanks folks for all the help and suggestions! I now have a working LW9 install!

I'd like to suggest that NewTek officially (and exactly) document a list of files to pull out for complete clean removal of Lightwave (with a sidecar list for dongle driver components).

I'd also like to suggest that safe-net or whoever make it easier to find the complete and correct version of their dongle-drivers for download. Their site is kind of a mess. What's more, the eve3 installer provided for LW9 says that it works with OS X 10.2 and 10.3 and doesn't mention 10.4 (Tiger, which I'm on...). Maybe NewTek could facilitate making this easier.

Thanks again!

D