PDA

View Full Version : i Mac 24 inch or Mac Pro 2.0 GHZ?

grc
10-11-2006, 09:00 AM
Hi,

I am in the market for a new Mac, not completely sure to get a Mac Pro or the new i-Mac 24 inch.
Has anyone had any experience of the i-mac for Lightwave, or for that matter on the new Intel Mac Pro. I am swinging towards the Tower although that 24inch screen looks good.
Most of the renders I will be doing are for stills and will be around the 4500X3400 pixel size.

Chilton
10-11-2006, 09:26 AM
Hi,

Both will serve you well. I suggest the Mac Pro, though, as its tremendous processing power will make you very happy when the UB version of LightWave ships. And I suspect it's easier to upgrade.

The other thing is, after you make a few bucks with your shiny new Mac, you'll want to pimp it out with some bigger screens.

Your screen is your universe. Your processor determines how fast things move in it. Both are important, and you'll probably want to bump each up as much as possible, going forward.

-Chilton

grc
10-11-2006, 09:55 AM
Thanks for that, I was wondering about the speed diference between the i-Mac and the Pro, I have seen some comaprisons recently and there was not a lot between them apart from the rendering test, then the Pro came out on top, although this was not with Lightwave.

How will the UB version of LW be distrubted to 8/9 users? will it be a free upgrade? I have 8 at the moment but am entitled to a free upgrade to 9.

Will I have to pay for the UB version?
And any rough idea when it will be out?

Captain Obvious
10-11-2006, 12:10 PM
The UB will be a free upgrade to owners of LW9. LW8 will never be a universal binary, ever.

I'd recomend the Mac Pro. Eight RAM slots instead of two makes one heck of a difference when adding RAM. Sure, the FB-DIMMs are expensive, but 4x1 gigabyte of FB-DIMMs is a lot cheaper than 2x2 gigabytes of regular DDR2.

Oh, by the way, if you want to optimize your performance per dollar, go with the dual 2.66GHz model instead. It has 33% higher performance, for a price that's less than 33% higher. If you can afford it, it's a better buy.