PDA

View Full Version : Any else crashing layout when closing it? Yes, I already deleted the configs

gschrick
10-11-2006, 05:46 AM
I work on both a MAC and a PC. If I open LW and load a scene it will crash whenever I close the program, on both MAC and PC. If I just open LW and immediately close it without loading anything, it quits just fine.

This may not seem like a big glitch, but it makes it hard to save settings and my recent scene list is always empty. I tried deleting the config files on both platforms and that didn't help.

I think it all started when I was running an audio track in layout on both machines. Not sure if that's significant.

Wonderpup
10-11-2006, 06:10 AM
I get this all the time- I'm running without the hub now but it still crashes on exit, sometimes on clear scene as well. As you say not leathal but very annoying and does not inspire confidence. Hopefully NT will have tracked it down for the next update.

MooseDog
10-11-2006, 07:13 AM
happens to me consistently if i use the node editor for any length of time. closes fine otherwise.

geck
10-11-2006, 08:24 AM
Try removing any third party plug-ins.
Doing that and disabling the Hub greatly improved stabilty for me.

gschrick
10-11-2006, 08:52 AM
I don't want anyone to take this the wrong way. But why is it that many of the 'fixes' for Lightwave's glitches involving disabling features and basically dumbing it down the software.

I like to use the hub, it works for me or at least it's it's supposed to.

Thor Simpson
10-11-2006, 09:28 AM
Yes, happens to me occasionally. Maybe 50% of the time.

CROUTON213
10-11-2006, 11:34 AM
Yes, it feels like whenever I use SAVE ALL OBJECTS and/or work with a lot of image maps in the scene, Layout crashes upon exit. Better crash when closing for sure, but it would be nice to fix this bug...

Chrusion
10-11-2006, 12:24 PM
This has been a consistent bug for the last THREE major versions, going all the way back to 6.0!!! It's so random that I think NT has basically ignored it as not being critical... I mean, you're closing LW anyway... it's just getting there faster. LOL. But it sure would make LW LOOK at lot better in skeptical eyes if it didn't crash on close/quit/clear. Good thing NT has made L9 save its config file after changes have been made to it (such as editing prefs) rather than upon program exit, cuz now you don't loose those changes in an exit crash like we used to! Well, except maybe for Recent Scenes.

gjjackson
10-11-2006, 12:26 PM
I found this to be mainly from 3rd party plugins. Now it seems LW is more susceptible to problems from 3rd parties. I don't know if Newtek can do anything about it though.

gerry_g
10-11-2006, 12:47 PM
I've gotten into the habit of closing scenes before quitting, which although not foolproof at least reduces the problem for me, but big scenes (1MK+) , long tweaking sessions, especially with F-Prime or the Node Editor = pain in the ***

Sorry that last word should have read A-S-S !!. but something seemed to have glitched when I posted it ?

Zach
10-11-2006, 02:55 PM
All the time my friend... crashes I think every time I close Layout. Sometimes with Modeler too.

borkus
10-11-2006, 05:11 PM
being a 2d illustrator for more that 15 years, lw 9 is the first package that i've actually gotten. always thought 3d was cool, but so much more familiar with 2d. and only to find out i paid a **** ton of money (well, what my wallet considered a **** ton of money) for something that i would complain about even if it was free. so goes my life. newtek, please help us!!!!

gjjackson
10-11-2006, 05:56 PM
From everything I can determine it has to do with plugins, mainly third party. Hopefully NT will address this issue soon.

This is what I've got so far.

gschrick
10-11-2006, 06:34 PM
Nope, not plugins. I only a few minor 3rd plugins installed on the PC, like QV4 render display. No F-Prime or anything like that. And no 3rd party software at all on the Mac. Both platforms crash on quit.

I've been a loyal lightwave user since version 3.5 on my Amiga 1200, I can't remember even the Amigas being this consistent with crashing.

For the most part I'm happy with the stability of 9. When I first installed LW9 on the PC it worked flawlessly for a while. But once it started crashing when I close it, happens almost everytime now. While it's running I can work on the same scene for days sometimes with no problems. But that's at home, at work I use a MAC.

The MAC pretty much was querky out of the box. I still brace for impact whenever I create a preview.

It's really hard to keep convincing my TV station to keep LW when all the other affiliates are moving to Maya. I spoke to a NT rep about the crashing on the Mac and he agreed that the hub is well, less than perfect and has been for some time. So I have to ask why continue with such an unstable element? And I feel I shouldn't have to disable major portions of the software just to get my work done.

Tesselator
10-11-2006, 07:29 PM
I hear this is a problem with the Classic Camera. If you are still using that
cam, try setting the default cam to Perspective Camera and see if the problem
doesn't go away.

Tesselator
10-11-2006, 08:46 PM
Oops... Sorry. Now I can't remember if it's that the Classic Cam is the
crash/hang on abort render or if the crash on exit has got something to
do with the communication system used for the Hub or if it is both. My bad.

I suggest trying 3 things in the order below one at a time:
Set the default cam to Perspective or any other than classic.
Apply this tweek: http://www.mydigitallife.info/2005/11/15/windows-xp-sp2-tcp-connection-limit-event-id-4226/
and set the max to like 250 or more.
Load Layout and/or Modeler with the -o option in the alias. If you need
more info on this just ask.

Hopefully this will get it working for you.

gschrick
10-13-2006, 04:23 AM
Seems like changing the camera to perspective is having a positive effect.

Thanks a lot!