PDA

View Full Version : Generating animation in LW9 tips

Sensei
10-10-2006, 08:09 PM
Hi!

I often use LightWave to quickly generate MOV/AVI animations from image sequence and noticed that LightWave v9 has some things changed and wanted to share my experiments and experiences with you..

- don't use Classic Camera, quality even of F9 render is much worser than original image-sequence. It's especially visible in images where single pixels are visible (lines, text on screen-shots).

- with any other camera (I'm using Perspective, but that really doesn't matter as no geometry is generated, just backdrop image-sequence) make sure that Threads number is always 1! I noticied that any other value (at least on dual-core machine, single-core has not been tested) for image f.e. 720x450 will change render time from 0.5 second to 1.5 second and more (with Classic it's 0.3 but quality is really bad and single pixel lines are missing in rendered image, even though camera resolution matches original image-sequence resolution)..

Best Regards!

Sekhar
10-10-2006, 08:16 PM
Wow, didn't know...thanks for sharing. Just verified this (image quality part) with classic/perspective cams.

Ztreem
10-11-2006, 04:57 AM
Yeah, I also have noticed that the classic camera doesn't work with lines and stuff, look like crap.

kmaas
10-11-2006, 07:22 AM
Thanks for the warning. I did this a lot with LW8. I hope they fix it soon. Have you reported it elsewhere?

iconoclasty
10-11-2006, 02:36 PM
To clarify about the render threads: If you have a really simple scene (like one with no geometry) then it's faster to use the classic camera or if you don't like it's quality, then set the threads to 1 for the perspective cam. If it's a remotely complex scene then it's still faster to set the threads higher. It seems it takes the Persp Cam about 1-3 seconds to prepare the threads. That time is wasted if your render takes less than that few seconds, but if it's more than that, it's worth the extra threads.

BeeVee
10-12-2006, 02:02 AM
But re-rendering a scene this way to create an animation will only ever take a second or two a frame. There's nothing in the scene to calculate.

B

Sensei
10-12-2006, 02:17 AM
I started investigating because even 1.5 sec per frame for perspective camera have been too much for me, when I saw 0.3 sec per frame for classic camera.. Please note that these 0.3 also include setting up the same number of threads.. I quess that setting up thread is done at the beginning of F10 render scene, instead of doing it all the time frame by frame.. Conclusion is that it's not basic thread setting up what is slowing down, even though it's driven by number of threads..