PDA

View Full Version : Bump on edges.

tapsnap
06-11-2003, 06:56 AM
I frequently am disappointed with the way "bump" cannot be seen on the edges of a 3D object like a sphere. Yes, It's because it's a surface treatment only and has nothing to do with the geometry. But I'd like to see a fake edge which mimics the look of a realy geometric displacement at the point the surface is at 90 degrees to the camera, in the same way fresnal works. It would provide a cheaper alternative to the costly render times of surface displacement.

Mylenium
06-11-2003, 09:43 AM
Adaptive sub pixel/ micro displacement ;) . I'm sure, we'll see it in v8 'cos it's already been asked for so many times.

Mylenium

Elmar Moelzer
06-11-2003, 09:50 AM
I am not sure we will see that in LW 8.0
The problem is that this needs a lot of memory in renderers that are no Scan- line- renderers.
LW is not a Scanline- renderer.
What could be done easily (and I realyl hop that this is done) would be to distort the shadows that are cast onto bump- mapped polygons. Something that is strangely enough stil missing in LW, even though this could be done easily (would cost little to no renderperformance too).
CU
Elmar

cgolchert
06-11-2003, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Mylenium
Adaptive sub pixel/ micro displacement ;) . I'm sure, we'll see it in v8 'cos it's already been asked for so many times.

Mylenium

I'm sure since it only takes one simple line of code.

colkai
06-12-2003, 06:03 AM
Originally posted by cgolchert
I'm sure since it only takes one simple line of code.

Heh, sounds like my boss.. Either that, or it's only a two minute job! :p

cgolchert
06-12-2003, 02:08 PM
That is what I was thinking when I saw

I'm sure, we'll see it in v8 'cos it's already been asked for so many times.

harhar
06-12-2003, 06:00 PM
Adaptive sub pixel/ micro displacement

that's still displacement, not fake bump stuff.