PDA

View Full Version : Nother texturing question

Lottmedia
10-10-2006, 12:11 PM
Alright boys. I was doing some things in LW and bringing them into Vue for rendering (don't ask me why, wanted to test the viability of that workflow and such for a project and matching LW and vue renders) And playing with some surfaces in Vue, there is a function for distance to object. I saw in a magazine how it could be used for making foam on coastlines really easy and I thought, "surely Lightwave can do that!" Well I can't. Anyone have any ideas? I've played around some but it only seems to recognize absolute distance to the base of the other object, not it's surface.

Casey :cat:

Sekhar
10-10-2006, 03:10 PM
An occlusion node (in ranged mode) should give you promixity info you can use to drive your effects...

jameswillmott
10-10-2006, 04:05 PM
Tried using a RayCast node? Is this what you meant?

Lottmedia
10-11-2006, 02:14 PM
ohhhhh, that's really intresting! I'll have to play with that later and see if it does what I want!

The Occlusion node woln't (sp?) do what I want because if you animate the light or camera then u get different results. I talked about it with someone in another forum but it woln't work

Casey :cat:

SplittingPixels
10-20-2006, 04:50 PM
Thanks James! That de-mystified the usage of yet another node... :)

One quick little improvement to your example surface... If you don't have a seabed under all of the water for the rays to hit, Raycast returns -1 over empty space (which shades incorrectly as it's less than zero.) Insert the Math>Scalar>Abs node between the RayCast and Gradient nodes though, and you'll be able to use the surface on an infinite water plane with no seabed - whales, submarines, etc. will all work just fine. :)

Really handy node network - allows you to make water that reacts with the shorline exactly like Vue gels, put gloss on the rocks at the waterline, etc. :) Powerful and extremely cool stuff! :D Thanks for sharing!