PDA

View Full Version : Hello and I have patching issues

Elmo_Lincoln
10-10-2006, 10:48 AM
First off, Hello to everybody! I'm new here and relatively new to Lightwave and 3D modeling.

I'm having trouble patching polygons. I'm not clear on some things. Do there have to be 4 sides in order for a polygon to be patched? I keep getting messages about curves having to cross properly. I'm obviously doing something wrong. As I'm reading over the tutorials I'm seeing where I might have gone wrong. I'm having trouble splitting curves. Sorry, I don't think I'm being very clear. I've selected points but nothing would get split. The split command wouldn't follow through. Perhaps it is already split or there is some other issue? I have managed to patch some areas. It's just not working all the time.

If anyone can BS on about some of the finer points of patching I'd appreciate it. I'll try to fill in with more later.

colkai
10-10-2006, 11:30 AM
Easy, normally, there are expected to be 4 splines per patch.
The splines must be "joined", that is, if tw osplines cross each other, it must be on a common point.

I'm sure Larry "SplineGod" will pop along at some point to clarify matters further. :)

Sensei
10-10-2006, 12:09 PM
LightWave's Split command requires selecting polygon prior selecting points and then using Split. But our EasySpline (http://www.trueart.pl) spline modeling system has Split Spline tool that does what you wanted, splitting the all splines by just selecting points. It has also other nice and unique in LightWave abilities like point & spline highlighting, showing geometry between curves while you move points on them, extruding/extending splines like Extender for traditional polygons & Sub-Patches, tools to box-modeling in spline cage..

You can read more on this thread
http://www.spinquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13888

Example of spline highlighting feature..
http://www2.trueart.pl/Products/Plug-Ins/EasySpline/Graphics/Jaguar_Spline_Cage_7.png

The while geometry on this image is not true polygonal geometry, but virtual and bend with splines and spline points when you move them.. This can be seen in reality on videos..

Dodgy
10-10-2006, 03:01 PM
I would recommend Sensei's plugin. It's amazing :)

Elmo_Lincoln
10-10-2006, 05:34 PM
Thanks for the info everybody. For some reason, some points won't split. Any reason for that? I'm on an apple computer. The issue is to control spline cross sections. I select all the points and then I hit control L and a point splits. Actually a curve splits. Then I continue to split more curves. I get so far and then I run into a dead end and I can't split anymore curves on a polygon.

The alternate route for me to fix it is too delete the splines and curves that won't split and then add a new straight spline in place of it. Does that seem right?

Elmo_Lincoln
10-10-2006, 05:41 PM
Thanks again for the info. I guess the plug-in you speak of would cure my ills? Is EasySplit v2.7 the plug-in you're talking about? It does sound cool but I'm having trouble controlling spline cross sections. I can't seem to always split curves at selected points.

Sensei
10-10-2006, 05:58 PM
No, EasySplit is not working on splines but polygons and sub-patches (anything that has volume, because only front-side polygons are splitted). But EasySpline has EasySplit equivalent for splines. And yes, EasySpline Split Spline is doing exactly what you wanted, selecting the all f.e. 10 points of spline and using it will make exactly 10 2 point splines.. If two splines crosses and you select point where they are crossing and use it, you will have 4 splines.. But with EasySpline since long curve support has been added you usually want reverse action- merge two or more splines into one long, because previewer and true geometry generating routine understands long curves no problem. This produces very smooth geometry at the end of modeling process, much smoother than when you have many short curves.

Macintosh is of course supported in either EasySplit & EasySpline!

Sensei
10-10-2006, 06:59 PM
Hi!

I made little video which shows difference between short-curves (made with EasySpline Extrude Spline from freehand sketched curve) and how object looks like after merging them..

http://www2.trueart.pl/Products/Plug-Ins/EasySpline/Graphics/Movies/EasySpline_6.mov

Real-time spline cage previewer has been activated right after sketching curve and was displaying object to the end, the whole work was with splines and their points, perspective is just virtual and not touchable (until you freeze it with special interactive tool).

colkai
10-11-2006, 02:56 AM
I would recommend Sensei's plugin. It's amazing :)
Duly seconded. :thumbsup: