PDA

View Full Version : basic question about gradients

simonwoods
10-10-2006, 05:11 AM
How does one begin constructing a shade where there is a blend from one color to another accross x axis? In the viewer it looks like on, but in the render, its mor like a step - help please!!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/lordnut/gradient.jpg

jameswillmott
10-10-2006, 05:58 AM
How large is your object? Try separating the positions of the keys a fair bit, I think you have a gradient there, but it's very compressed.

simonwoods
10-10-2006, 11:57 AM
Thanks that helps no end

Silkrooster
10-10-2006, 09:39 PM
I beleive you might be using the wrong gradient tool. (If you are not, I haven't figured out how to do it with that tool yet, lol) Anyways, use color layer and set the layer type to gradient. Input perameter to X distance to Object. For object, you might be able to select your object you are trying to change, if that don't work, add a null to one end of the object and select the null.
For your two keys, keep one at zero and the other set to the length of your object. Below the bottom key is a value you can change if you object is greater than 1 meter in length.
BTW, if all else fails you could create your gradient in an image editor and apply the image.
Silk

toby
10-11-2006, 12:23 AM
Wow, I did not think it would work at all, but I tried it and bam! We've never been able to assign a gradient 'from one end of an object to another' - presumably because LW doesn't know one end from another unless you UV it.

But you just need to find the range Simon. You're not limited to the 0.0 to 1.0 that you see by default. Try putting a key at -10 and the other one at 10.

simonwoods
10-11-2006, 03:55 AM
Glad to be of service! I think I keep coming at things from the same methods as my old software and finding out new methods occassionaly!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/lordnut/transx.jpg

toby
10-11-2006, 04:26 AM
I forgot - we could do it before, without the nodes too, using the Falloff value instead of gradients. It is simpler with the nodes though.