PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw again

monfoodoo
10-09-2006, 10:29 AM
Prob an old question(couldn't find it in search). why doesn't bandsaw pro have the ability to resize a sawed selection? To smooth out the radius of points? It seems that it would be an easy add on to the plugin. scott

Maxx
10-09-2006, 12:57 PM
If you use the Operation drop-down on the numeric panel to choose Edit, you can change the position of the cut - is this what you mean or am I misunderstanding the question?

monfoodoo
10-09-2006, 02:40 PM
No,when you saw on a curve surface or bevel,the resulting cut is not compensating for the curvature that is between two points.I'm at work so i could only give a quik photoshop example

Maxx
10-09-2006, 02:55 PM
OK - it's been a long day. I'm missing something - sorry. If you get some time when you get home, post some screenies? When Bandsaw is run, it follows the poly contours around curves and across bevels. (like I said long day - brain is :sleeping: )

Lewis
10-09-2006, 03:23 PM
AFAIK Bandsaw (pro) is for polygons only and i don't see your problem at this two lines screengrab either ? Can you show us example at modeler ?

liquidpope
10-09-2006, 03:33 PM
I think I see it.
You want bandsaw to basically do what a subdivision would do.
You'll have to pull points by hand for now.
I'm no programmer, but it doesn't sound like an easy thing to fix.
Maybe you should subdivide just that one row of polys. Of course there'll be some clean-up, but you'll end up with a smoother curve that way.
I'll post a screen grab in a minute or two...

EDIT:
I tried some sub-d stuff, and I doubt that will work for you.
Maybe someone will have a better idea?

liquidpope
10-09-2006, 04:11 PM
Rounder may do you some good, but it will depend on your other geometry.
Of course, most things will.

I played with sub-d a bit more, and this is what you could get out of it.
I have this cube, and I want this one section rounded.
I sub-d just this section, with these settings, and I get what looks like funky new geometry, but the profile looks about like what you want.
The I joined this new weird stuff back into two single-poly rows, and deleted the middle points. This is the end result.

It's not elegant, by any means, but it is quick and easy.

monfoodoo
10-09-2006, 04:46 PM
I don't know if it would work anyway. i'll post some screeshots tonight.

SplineGod
10-09-2006, 07:37 PM
Ive asked for this capability years ago. It would be great to be able to cut geometry based on the subpatches. Theres a set of tools for C4D called Mesh Surgery that does this:
http://www.thirdpartyplugins.com/meshsurgery/
check out the movie showing off the fuzzy smoothing.

monfoodoo
10-09-2006, 09:50 PM
Here is some images that should show what i mean.Of course it would not be always useful,but i myself thinking about it enough times(in many situations) to write in about it.As shown ,"Pictrix Resize" (stretch)is what i use to make adjustments.

SplineGod
10-09-2006, 10:33 PM
That fuzzy smooth tool does just that. Would be nice to have in LW because it would really speed up subd modeling.

Lewis
10-10-2006, 04:44 AM
Ahh, now i understand what you want. OK I agree it woudl be usefull feature but i'd like it to be just and option (checkmark in bandsaw numeric panel) so it can be turnedon/off.

CAClark
10-10-2006, 05:00 AM
I'd like bamdsaw not to be a percentage of the poly width only, but also to be defined as a finite distance from either side so as to allow quick and easy adding of consistent size edge loops.

Cheers!

Maxx
10-10-2006, 05:51 AM
Ahh... I get it now. Yeah, that would be handy in certain situations.

Hipcheck
10-10-2006, 06:21 AM
Would the EdgePak tools do what you wanted?

monfoodoo
10-11-2006, 12:19 AM
For general resizing Pictrix works excellent.

Hardwater
10-11-2006, 01:42 AM
I'd like bamdsaw not to be a percentage of the poly width only, but also to be defined as a finite distance from either side so as to allow quick and easy adding of consistent size edge loops.

Cheers!

DITTO!

Andyjaggy
10-15-2006, 07:14 PM

Cheers!

Oh my gosh that would be nice. I can't tell you how many times I bandsaw something and then have to go in a move the points manually so they are a uniform distance from the edge.