PDA

View Full Version : Layout crash

chemaelizondo
10-08-2006, 10:04 PM
:help:
Hello to every one.
I wonder if there is anyone who can help me with the following issue:

Lately is has become very often that Layout quits when I send a model from modeler to layout for the first time.
And also get this message from the hub:

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks

JM

LW9 (recently installed)
Mac G5 1.7mhz duo
OSX 10.4

05-01-2007, 10:31 AM
for now it seems that anytime either modeler or LW crash it gets disconnected from the hub. For me he only way to fix it is to restart the computer. Can anyone share a solution to prevent or fix this issue

toby
05-01-2007, 12:29 PM
First thing that occurs, in both your cases, is to make sure there's no copy of the hub running when Layout and Modeler aren't. Sometimes it's minimized, or you might have to look in the process viewer to find it and kill it.

Second - is working without the hub a possibility for you guys? Not only will you avoid these issues, you'll get greater stability overall - the crash that disconnects the hub probably won't happen in the first place!

05-01-2007, 05:58 PM
I really like the hub, I Work mainly with stills, and having changes in my models instantly reflect for a preview is a big part of my work flow.

Is kinda like that old joke: guy tells doctor: my arm hurts when i go like this(any movement) doctor says: well; don't go like that (same movement)

toby
05-01-2007, 10:32 PM
Yes, there's no better way to make that suggestion, but most people don't know that there are benefits to not using the hub until it's brought up. Think of it as you would any other feature - you don't have to use it.

I actually prefer the workflow without the hub, it allows me to experiment with surfaces in Layout without updating the model in Modeler - so I can reload it anytime I don't like my changes. It also allows me to run multiple copies of Layout.

Giacomo99
05-02-2007, 06:47 PM
Sometimes, post-crash, you can get Layout and Modeler on speaking terms just by quitting Modeler and Layout and the Hub. You don't always need to reboot (although sometimes you do.)

Activator
05-04-2007, 09:17 AM
In LW 9.0 on the Mac, there IS a way to get everything working again without a restart.

First, you only need to quit Modeler, not Layout. Then, quit (or Force-Quit) the Hub. Then re-launch the Hub. Then Quit the hub again. The re-launch AND quit the Hub ONE more time!! (This is the key!!)

Now, go to Layout, select a model and hit F12. The Hub will startup, Modeler will open and will be linked to Layout again!

This works 99/100 times for me. It seems like a lot of quitting/re-launching, but it only takes about 10 seconds and is much faster than a full re-start!

One other thing I've figured out. Sometimes you won't get a crash, but the "spinning beachball" will appear after sending a model to or from Modeler. Force-quitting the Hub will STOP the "beachball", and allow you to save your work. Then do the quit-and-re-launch routine and you're back in business!

:jam:

toby
05-04-2007, 09:46 PM
What did Freud say was between fear and sex?
Food?
Don't gimme the answer - just say right or wrong :)