PDA

View Full Version : LightWave competitions

Horace
10-08-2006, 07:18 PM
Hey.
Just wondering if there was any lightwave either modelling or animation compettions around??

I have tried 10 sec club, but thats down atm.
Wondering if any1 can point me in the direction of any others?

oDDity
10-09-2006, 07:56 AM
There are plenty of CG competitons around the net that accept all entries, even Lightwave renders. I dont know why you want one that is LW specific.

Horace
10-11-2006, 04:25 AM
There are plenty of CG competitons around the net that accept all entries, even Lightwave renders. I dont know why you want one that is LW specific.

I dunno either but meh. Thanks man.
:D

Silkrooster
10-11-2006, 05:34 PM
Check out spinquad.com, every once in awhile they have a competition thats lightwave only.
Silk

3D Kiwi
10-11-2006, 07:04 PM
Im amazed Newtek dont run comps for Us Lightwave users.

Have they done it in the past?

Wickster
10-12-2006, 12:56 AM
yeah they ran the texturing contest a loooong time ago, where you have to texture a model without using images, just shaders.

Steve Reeves
10-12-2006, 03:44 PM
We could start our own one up?

gaushell
10-12-2006, 06:32 PM
I'll start a competition. The award is a full time position with our firm.

Show us your best architectural work along with a resume. You have to have US work credentials.

:beerchug:

Seriously - I wouldn't mind seeing Newtek offer prizes in more competitions as well. They recently did for an architectural based on over at 3dallusions.com

http://www.3dallusions.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=210&Itemid=142

Glad to see them getting into markets outside of hollyweird.

Kurtis
10-12-2006, 07:33 PM
If you're looking to win a copy of LightWave specifically...

We just sponsored a couple of contests on SpinQuad and one on 3D Allusions, we're sponsoring two upcoming contests on Renderosity. We're also helping to sponsor the Omaha Film Festival. I'm sure there are more, but that's what I can think of off the top of my head. I'm the one that process sponsorship requests, so if you know someone that needs to talk to me, send them my way.

I think Charles is offering a slightly better grand prize than that though. :hey:

gaushell
10-12-2006, 07:40 PM
Renderosity....hmmmm. Might have to check that one out. ....might need another copy.....LOL

Thanks Kurtis.

Kurtis
10-12-2006, 07:41 PM
Seriously - I wouldn't mind seeing Newtek offer prizes in more competitions as well. They recently did for an architectural based on over at 3dallusions.com

http://www.3dallusions.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=210&Itemid=142

Glad to see them getting into markets outside of hollyweird.

Thanks. I'm trying. This is the second contest we've sponsored with 3DAllusions, and we sponsored a contest with another architecture site last year, but the name escapes me right now.

gaushell
10-12-2006, 07:46 PM
Just wish I would have had time for it. We have so much arch viz going on right now that there isn't any way. Tried to talk them into letting us do a team project, but that was shot down. Oh well.

Have you looked into cgarchitect.com? It clearly has a max slant, but there are a handful of LW users over there.

Kurtis
10-12-2006, 07:50 PM
To be honest, with all the sites and contests out there, it's hard for me to keep track of them on top of everything else, unless they come to me. If you have a list of recommendations, send them my way, and I'll see what I can do.

gaushell
10-12-2006, 07:52 PM
Jeff Mottle at cgarchitect.com - he was actually one of the judges for the 3dallusions contest.

munky
10-13-2006, 06:50 AM
Hello,

try here

www.3dfightclub.com/forum/

regards

paul

taproot2
10-13-2006, 01:20 PM
Compititions are a great way to hone ones skills in a focused way. Its usually "easy" to be focused when a job come along and theres an art director/client/money to motivate you. That being absent, and not to sure about what to work on or what kind of project one has in mind, a compitition can fill that void very well. Just follow the rules and your heart.
cp

creativecontrol
10-13-2006, 02:19 PM
[QUOTE=gaushell]I'll start a competition. The award is a full time position with our firm.

Show us your best architectural work along with a resume. You have to have US work credentials.

Here's one I did about 8 years ago. Kinda dated now I guess. I live in Canada but maybe I could go through Mexico :)

gaushell
10-13-2006, 06:14 PM
[QUOTE=gaushell]I'll start a competition. The award is a full time position with our firm.

Here's one I did about 8 years ago. Kinda dated now I guess. I live in Canada but maybe I could go through Mexico :)

LOL. To further clarify - Legal work credentials.

creativecontrol
10-13-2006, 06:43 PM
[QUOTE=creativecontrol]

LOL. To further clarify - Legal work credentials.

Aahhh shucks... Legal is such an ugly word. Perhaps a small kickback would help... Anyway, I seem to have more work than I can actually do so I'll leave it to LEGAL (god I hate that word) workers.

Cheers!

PS, Legal is just a term coined by the biggest gang on the block. Everything is negotiable.

gaushell
10-13-2006, 06:52 PM
[QUOTE=gaushell]

Aahhh shucks... Legal is such an ugly word. Perhaps a small kickback would help... Anyway, I seem to have more work than I can actually do so I'll leave it to LEGAL (god I hate that word) workers.

Cheers!

PS, Legal is just a term coined by the biggest gang on the block. Everything is negotiable.

LOL. You started happy hour early. Have a good one
:beerchug:

TheAllusionist
10-29-2006, 01:32 AM
Hey, I just wanted to say that Kurtis has been very responsive to sponsoring contest for us at 3dallusions, two seats during the last one, so I know he is approachable on the subject. But if you want contest that have prizes, you have to support them, maybe you have only one site that you support their contest on, but you need to support at least one. Believe me, it is a lot of work to put one on and I get nothing out of it except for a few more members, if the participation isn't there, it isn't worth putting them on.

OK, enough on that, I just wanted to chime in and say that I have found Kurtis very accomodating for contest. The Runner Up in our last contest is using it now and is using it for modeling his entry in 'Finding Shore', a lighthouse scene competition at Vizdepot: http://www.vizdepot.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=85

There you go, another contest ;)

robk
10-30-2006, 06:51 PM
I'll start a competition. The award is a full time position with our firm.

Now Now Charles this looks like annother thinly veiled atempt at hiring more people. What you need is a branch office in Canada, the UK , Europe, Austrailia, etc etc etc.

Rob K
Liquid light 3D Graphics Inc.
www.liquidlight3d.com

gaushell
10-30-2006, 09:01 PM
Now Now Charles this looks like annother thinly veiled atempt at hiring more people. What you need is a branch office in Canada, the UK , Europe, Austrailia, etc etc etc.

Rob K
Liquid light 3D Graphics Inc.
www.liquidlight3d.com

LOL.

branch offices, hmmmmmmmm