borkus
10-08-2006, 06:02 PM
Chilton
NewTek Staff

Hi llongino,

Quote:
Originally Posted by llongino
Ah, I feel better.

As always, I am happy to hear from a satisfied customer.

Now go add all of your gripes, fears, frustrations, etc., in the thread entitled 'What do you expect?'. That's what I'm using as a checklist for the next Mac version.

And I do mean ALL of them. Of course, you might read over them first. You're probably not the only person with these issues.*

-Chilton

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57173, a link to the thread that this was clipped from. didn't want to take half the page, so i just put in what i thought was interesting. a few people post of their grudges and concerns with a program that they either shelled out $799 or $495 for the upgrade. and this chilton guy comes out with a sarcastic remark. "As always, I am happy to hear from a satisfied customer." maybe i'm reading into it too much, but i would have been pissed to get a remark pointing towards me after the post that "llongino" has just left. again, maybe i'm reading too far into it. chilton does go on to say that there is a place to leave any gripes. still don't like the smart-*** remark that he started with

Weepul
10-08-2006, 06:32 PM
Chilton has shown himself over and over to be a light-hearted type person and a joker, but one who always gets down to business (unless, of course, the business would be the revealing of information he is not allowed to) after the initial levity.

I've thought from time to time the joking was out of place, and at other times a laugh riot. In any case he seems to be a responsive and community-aware member of the Newtek staff, and I wouldn't consider his joking a big deal at all - with the possible exception that he ought to be aware that some people might take offense.

BazC
10-09-2006, 02:31 AM
I don't see anything offensive there. Chilton is asking for alll issues to be posted so he can fix them. He's a MAJOR asset to Lightwave on Mac and I really have no issues with his humour at all. Whatever line an official representative takes will get criticised by somebody, I think Chilton strikes a good balance particularly considering most of the posts aimed in his direction are either pressing for information he can't give out or complaining about issues he's well aware of!. He's friendly and approachable and extreemly helpful.

Yamba
10-09-2006, 03:55 AM
That's right Borkus you are reading too much into it.

Chilton :beerchug: has been a breath of fresh air into the mac LW community and has bent over backwards, I mean that in a "nice" way, to assist and respond to any of us posting.

Sure his sense of humour may not appeal to all but S**t happens. I for one hope he continues to, even in the face of some heated comments on LW9, maintain his humour and offer his support into the future.

Yamba
mac since IIe and still sane, well almost.

UnCommonGrafx
10-09-2006, 06:13 AM
Lighten up.
You've taken things out of context and shaken your bottle for such a fizz up.

Think about it: an UNsatisfied customer actually would just drop or sell the software. Most wouldn't try to get it bettered.

Kuzey
10-09-2006, 07:29 AM
Chilton is the best thing that happened to Newtek for sometime :D

Now all the PC guys are gonna want a Chilton v1.5 of their own :hey:

Kuzey

UnCommonGrafx
10-09-2006, 07:31 AM
Too true, Kuzey!

No one talks to us anymore...:phone_cal

Bog
10-09-2006, 08:55 AM
Where can I download Chilton for Windows?

I'm not saying that vost.p is flawed in any way, but it hasn't been updated for years now and... oh, hi Ben... :D

lesterfoster
10-09-2006, 01:23 PM
What is the -<vost.p>- plug-in used for? I did a search for it on my system, but could not fined it. So I did a search for it on www.flay.com. But could not fined it there either. Then I did a search on google in the hope that I could fined it there. But all that I got from google was something to do with Stanford Journal of East Asian Affairs or stuff about Nuclear Physics :screwy:

UnCommonGrafx
10-09-2006, 01:29 PM
Ben Vost of NT Europe = Joke

;)

Wonderpup
10-09-2006, 01:33 PM
Ben Vost of NT Europe = Joke

Now that is a bit harsh :D (= joke)

UnCommonGrafx
10-09-2006, 01:35 PM
hehe, missed that concept. Obviously, not intended.

lesterfoster
10-09-2006, 02:03 PM
I get it now. You are talking about Ben Vost, <BeeVee>. The person who keeps on uploading those good jokes on that JOKE..the lighter side of life (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2988) thread.

borkus
10-09-2006, 04:38 PM
i know. and for this, i do apologise for starting the thread in the first place. it was one of those days that i had tried to open lightwave one more time and it failed. or i would get it up and running only to have it become unresponsive before saving any progress. so i was thoroughly frustrated at that point. and i wasn't trying to talk badly about chilton. he IS one of the few people we see in these forums from the newtek staff. it was a one line comment that i was referring to that today doesn't seem to mean the same thing that it did yesterday when i was pondering throwing my computer out the 2nd story window (not over said comment. just in general of problems with lightwave running). i even said that i may have misinterpretted the meaning of the comment. but, as a grown man pushing 30 this year, i can fess up and say that i acted unlike an adult in that situation. again, many apologies to chilton for acting childishly

Nicolas Jordan
10-09-2006, 04:52 PM
I used to work in customer service for a large American cell phone company and sometimes when people are frustrated and are having a bad day it doesnt matter what you say some people take offense to almost anything and nothing you say can be right especially if it's meant to be positive. :)

borkus
10-09-2006, 06:29 PM
i went to pat oscar (my avatar), and he slinked away from me. jesus, when i **** up, i get it from all angles!!!!!

BazC
10-10-2006, 02:00 AM
i went to pat oscar (my avatar), and he slinked away from me. jesus, when i **** up, i get it from all angles!!!!!

LOL! No harm done, kudos to you for posting the apology!

Yamba
10-10-2006, 02:09 AM
I know how it is to have to vent your spleen sometimes.

Hence the super sized punching bag in my backyard and a dog.

Yamba

BeeVee
10-10-2006, 02:22 AM
Ooh, just thought of a slightly surreal joke to post... ;)

B

Kuzey
10-10-2006, 05:10 AM
The PC port of Chilton will be a difficult job indeed, first you'll have to wip out the Hard drive and then install Windows. If the Chilton gets any hint of what's about to happen then it could be worst than this :

http://youtube.com/watch?v=GwOv0xg31nk

Ps. warning that link is bad....very bad :screwy:

Kuzey

RudySchneider
10-10-2006, 09:43 AM
MAN, OH MAN! That kid scares the s--t outta me. God help the people with whom he comes in contact.

Chuck
10-10-2006, 10:26 AM
Chilton
NewTek Staff

Hi llongino,

Quote:
Originally Posted by llongino
Ah, I feel better.

As always, I am happy to hear from a satisfied customer.

Now go add all of your gripes, fears, frustrations, etc., in the thread entitled 'What do you expect?'. That's what I'm using as a checklist for the next Mac version.

And I do mean ALL of them. Of course, you might read over them first. You're probably not the only person with these issues.*

-Chilton

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57173, a link to the thread that this was clipped from. didn't want to take half the page, so i just put in what i thought was interesting. a few people post of their grudges and concerns with a program that they either shelled out $799 or $495 for the upgrade. and this chilton guy comes out with a sarcastic remark. "As always, I am happy to hear from a satisfied customer." maybe i'm reading into it too much, but i would have been pissed to get a remark pointing towards me after the post that "llongino" has just left. again, maybe i'm reading too far into it. chilton does go on to say that there is a place to leave any gripes. still don't like the smart-*** remark that he started with

Hi, Borkus!

Without more context on the speaker, the remark certainly can be taken in several ways; however, please note that when you have a concern about a comment made by a NewTek Staff, please do let the staff know by private message or by email or report the post to the moderators. That's the appropriate route for any personal criticism you may have, and posting a personal critique on anyone to the public areas is not allowed under the forum rules and such posts will normally be moderated; in this case the thread really seems to be carrying along a reasonable discussion about concerns and reactions (leavened with some humor), so moderation doesn't seem to be required beyond a note about proper avenues for reporting such concerns.

Please rest assured your concerns will be passed along to Chilton; if you found the remark offensive even for a moment, then you have our apologies, but I can assure you that nothing sarcastic, flippant or derogatory was meant by the remark. I work at the next desk and after some months, I can say that Chilton does not seem to my observation to have that kind of bone anywhere in his body. He's very much aware of the legitimate concerns and issues that LightWave's Mac users have, and just trying to find the most graceful way to respond, and to raise spirits in the process if possible. Some efforts work better than others, of course; and I know that he (and the rest of us for that matter) will try to get better at this aspect of communication as we go along. I hope you can bear with us when we do slip up.

Thanks for taking time to express your concerns!

shrox
10-10-2006, 10:46 AM

BazC, what happens when you go to pet your avatar?

Chuck
10-10-2006, 10:55 AM
Too true, Kuzey!

No one talks to us anymore...:phone_cal

Confirmed - Robert thinks I'm just chopped liver and despite all my posting here, "no one is talking to us anymore"! :bangwall:

There are a lot of changes going on in our support and services and our marketing programs, including staff moves, additions, etc. It may seem NewTek staff aren't as present in the forum as before and we'll try to get that remedied as we get folks up to speed on tasks including communications here. In the meantime, please rest assured we are keeping up with the discussions, requests, suggestions and reports here, we just aren't getting as much time to respond.

I'm in development now, but I'll drop a word in when I can, even though I clearly don't count so far as Robert is concerned. :cry:

Just teasin'! :)

colkai
10-10-2006, 11:32 AM
Hehe Chuck,
You'd think you woulda learned by now ;) :p

How many years have you been trying to clarify things? >>chuckles<<

Weepul
10-10-2006, 12:23 PM
I'm in development now, [snip]
Wow, people are already talking about Chilton 1.5 and 2.0 and you're still in development? ;D

Sorry...I really couldn't help myself with that one... :jester:

BazC
10-10-2006, 12:47 PM
BazC, what happens when you go to pet your avatar?

LOL! I haven't risked it yet! :D

borkus
10-10-2006, 06:43 PM
dude, that angry german kid kinda freaked me out. i said that i was pondering throwing my computer out the second story window, but i guess comments like that are one's i just can't say anymore. not after seeing that. that was really disturbing. to think that we put a lot of effort into what this freaking retard is getting so worked up about. speechless.............

lesterfoster
10-10-2006, 07:40 PM
I'm in development now, but I'll drop a word in when I can, :)
Donít we already have two baker functions in LightWave.

Normal Baker
Normal Baker (Map > General: More > Normalize Map) will store the (normalized) point normal for each vertex as three numbers into a VMAP called PNT_NORMALS. The values, starting with the first, represent the X, Y and Z directions of the vertexís normal.

Adjusting Vertex
Vertex Paint has several tools for adjusting vertex colors baked by Burn Shading Colors or the Shader Baker layout plugin.

So what is Chuck hinting about??. Perhaps the Abnormal Baker plug-in? and the Non-Shader Baker plug-in??.:stumped:

Sorry Chuck. But I couldn't resist.