PDA

View Full Version : A couple of questions...

cobaltman
10-07-2006, 03:59 PM
Hi. I have some questions about game making.

First, I am planning to get one of those game softwares that can use LW. I am interested in two of them. They are the PIM and BV softwares. Has anyone tried trial versions for both? How do they compare? I'm not sure which would be better for me.

Second, does anyone know of any image software that can save a common image format to "DXT5" format? I cannot find one that saves to DXT5 yet. It would be great if there was a freeware that does that.

lilrayray77
10-07-2006, 05:21 PM
Nvidia had a photoshop plugin that compresses with DXT5. Unfortunately, it looks like the page has been removed. Here is a plugin for photoshop (I assume you have PS) that supposedly saves images using DXT5 compression: http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Photoshop_VTF_Plugin

borkus
10-07-2006, 05:41 PM
i downloaded beyond virtual today and was very impressed with what i saw. didn't get too far into it. but did more than what most others would let me do with little to no learning. and the fact that it does support lightwave natively is a definite plus. do you have a fairly good computer? all i have is a amd 2400 with 1 gig of ram and an ati x800 all on an agp setup. did start to choke as the scene got more and more complex. and it froze up on me a couple of times. but i have been having that problem with other programs as well. but the silver version might be more stable. could you please post a link to the PIM program you also referred too. i would like to check that one out as well

cobaltman
10-07-2006, 06:25 PM
Here's the only link that I know of:

http://pimtools.be/

For some odd reason, I cannot get the buttons to work when I load the page and cannot download the trial version because of that.

Thanx lilrayray77! I don't have PS yet and I intend to very shortly. Does it work for all PS softwares? I want to make sure that the PS that I saw at the store will work with this plug-in. Also, does it work with AE?

Tzan
10-07-2006, 08:53 PM
Last I heard PIM was still in Beta and not available yet.
They should really remove those buttons till they work.